Gold in Costa Rica and Panama

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
Looking to share information on placer gold in Costa Rica and or Panama

Otherwise its back to Ecuador which is good but shipping my gear there is costly.

I have a 4 stuby on plastic jacks inflaitable tubes powered by a subaru and a straight six with dual 7s dual air and inflaitables. They make it easier to ship.
I lost a six in the jungles of northeren ecuador'
The dredging there is fantastic, you can free dive and pick nuggets off some swept bedrock corners................................ :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009
rioblanco said:
Looking to share information on placer gold in Costa Rica and or Panama

Otherwise its back to Ecuador which is good but shipping my gear there is costly.

I have a 4 stuby on plastic jacks inflaitable tubes powered by a subaru and a straight six with dual 7s dual air and inflaitables. They make it easier to ship.
I lost a six in the jungles of northeren ecuador'
The dredging there is fantastic, you can free dive and pick nuggets off some swept bedrock corners................................ :icon_thumleft:

whatcha mean by lost? did ya pickle it or did the locals grab a hold of it?

OP
OP
R

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
The narcotics demolition team in the area wanted it more than I did, what could I say?

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
rio blanco

the greenies here in Costa Rica try and strangle any kind of gold operation. most of the placer gold is in the southern zone. really tuff to get permits. I have looked a little in panama, not near enough for any good info. if I had a choice I would go back to Ecuador.

bill-cr

OP
OP
R

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
I kinda gathered that on Costa Rica , had wondered about that last inlet on the southern end but now even that is Park, good for the tree huggers.
I have gathered a pile of rivers and locations on Panama but have not compiled enough evidence. Was just hopeing on a more reasonable place concerning logistics but looks like Ill be off down there in a coupple more. To the northern area until the rains come than to the Andes come mid november.
Whats your tener doing these days? get that sumper working yet?
Im looking at an 8 with sumper next year.......
can always hope
Jay :icon_thumright:

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
10 inch is working and so is the sump, just built some NZ. hydraulic riffles for it yesterday. couple of years ago I talked to a company that was going to sample some rivers in panama with 8 inch. they were in the southern zone on the Caribbean. never did hear how they did.

bill-cr

OP
OP
R

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
I Have never built a sumper but Allan Trees lives within driving distance, I might take a look at his. His price is 40 grand too fancey but nice. His 8 inch looks pretty darn good. If I could ever get one into where I am in norhtern Ecuador Id be laughing. No good in the andes thou.
It appears most water running into that side carries values and i think it has escaped alot of attention due to poor access, that runs niceley into coloumbia, I was looking at comming up from there as well,

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
jay
have you looked at the faja de oro area in Panama? there are a few river drainages that really need to be looked at, rio Belen and rio Concepcion are a couple. do you have any info ?

bill-cr

OP
OP
R

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
Bill
For rio concepcion I had general info on the discovery of gold there and such but as far as more concerete info ...
Joseph w. , a mining engineer went down there to explore that rio exclusively and quoted " largely distributed in glacier debris and only very small areas of concentration were detected by digging test pits, for sampeling" they also went up the main tributary of that river rio San Antonio.
I dont have much hard data on good workable ground there just general info, on placer areas and bearing rivers.
Acandi columbia , I have some goos concrete info there , I could haul in a floater there for sure, so I was wondering farther up the coast line into Panama Comarca de san blas I was figuring has got to have some workable ground .

But maybe that belen still has some shiney left, or that area, I will have to dig further.
Not many out of country dredgers on these sites. Its suprising to me but It looks like generally more casual/hobby dreedging here.

Jay

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww Jay, one rule of thumb here in Ecuador....no hanging around the Colombian border! If I had to guess, Rio Santiago? You mentioned remote and north, and there aren't many places as remote. Lots of gold in the Santiago, though.

OP
OP
R

rioblanco

Greenie
May 24, 2011
Well no I have never been up the santiago or its tribs. I wasnt sure if it was worth the time. I do have a question thou , on the santiago cayapas and other rivers in that gold area is the gold just lower down or up higher on the tribs in the hills? There is lots of action mining the lower reaches but what about higher up? I always wondered if it was just the difficulty of access keeping miners out.
One neat thing about ecuadors northern border is spanning west to east the whole border is virtually a placer zone.
The Mira, awa indian area, San Juan and reaches Cofan,,chingual, San miguel , Putumayo and areas all are producers
I have been gathering info on the upper verdeyacu, thinking on taking a look there this fall

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upper Santiago is extremely remote, and that is probably one of the reasons few locals work it. The Spanish worked it consistently though, and i remember reading some info on gold values exceeding 20+ grams a cubic yard on the surface. No infrastructure though for fuel etc. Also keep in mind there is a western and eastern Santiago river. It is the western river that i am referring to. I believe the eastern is a tributary of the Amazon river. The western starts from the Andes and flows into the pacific. Both are very rich in gold and have been worked by the Spaniards.

My buddy James, who you have been talking to is very knowledgeable about the Santiago area.

Will be hitting the lower Verdeyacu in 3-4 days and will let you know how it goes. Just sluicing for now though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions