Sluice Matting

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
I'm using a new mat called Vortex that is excellent in catching fine gold.
Ive been working the Oregon beaches for 3 to 4 years now and find this
to be the best matting Ive ever used.I have ran close to 250 to 300# of
cons and i'm only loosing about 5 or 6 specs of gold per hundred lbs.
of cons.This is not a scientific test. At any rate I'm very pleased with
these results. Has anyone else used this Vortex matting? Happy to
answer questions ...Strech

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net Strech!

I just started using it this year and I think it's great! Unlike Nomad (miners moss) or carpet, this stuff doesn't load up with anything but the heavies.

It's easy to clean, it's waterproof, the fine gold doesn't get lost in carpet fibers and you don't have to run ribbed rubber under it. Just the Vortex mat and that's all. And for fine or flour gold you don't even need riffles or expanded mesh just run the water slower than usual and the mat does the rest.

*Note: Be sure to run enough water over it to eliminate excess air bubbles before running your pay dirt.

I expect many will convert to it once they have seen it in action.

Go for the Gold!
GG~

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Funny you should mention this stuff. I use it as an inspection tray under my high bankers grizzly to show me if I am in a good spot or not. The rough top conveyor belt (vortex matting) catches most of the gold, the raised expanded barely has anything. Here's some of the gold it had in it today.

And that gold in the pan.

OP
OP
S

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the welcoming. As soon as I learn how to send
pictures Ill show you the Vortex matting i"m using. There seams
to be many variations of the rubber pattern.I'm sure that many of
them do an excellent job.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey Astro
Did you pick out the bigger pcs off the mat before you panned it?
Looks like a few pcs missing???

Hefty

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I thought the same thing when I first saw the pic, but the yellow piece sitting right next to the nice flake right about center was mica. Same with the one in the very top that looks like a little nugget peeking out. I took a video of that stuff on the mat and you can kinda see the other stuff flashing when I move the camera (I will upload the video in a few here). If there is a another piece of gold I missed in the cleanup, it will be in our cons since I panned that stuff into a tray we use for cons (a plastic cement mixer tray) and cleaning out the dredge. The inspection tray is 16 inches long and I washed all that stuff down into a 14 inch pan so its possible one piece went off the side or something and into our cons.

I know you cant see much in this video, which is why I didnt upload it earlier. The quality is better before it gets uploaded but not by much, but enough to see its mica sitting next to that gold flake in the center.

OP
OP
S

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
Vortex Matting

Jim Dexter

1038 Deon Drive
Pocatella Idaho
Ph.208-847-5460

Can not quote price...It should be very reasonable Under $10.00 a sq.ft...strech

OP
OP
S

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
This is the email for the guy who sells the matting, [email protected]. His name is Jim Dexter. I have tried to attach pics of this but the site isnt letting me, so if you would like a pic just message me and i will gladly send you some.

strech

OP
OP
S

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
DSCF6101.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG [attach=5

Here are the pics of the vortex matting i was going to post, sorry it has taken so long to get them on here.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 839
  • DSCF6098.JPG
    DSCF6098.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 1,118

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
that's some gnarly looking stuff you got there! im going to contact him and get me a few sq ft! I have yet to complete my sluice (waiting on Keene for the riffle tray, they are 5-7 business days behind on shipping) then I'll replace my ribbed rubber with it! Thanks

buckyboy

Nov 19, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that material in bulk and am getting 7 bucks a square foot plus shipping. It is heavy material. Do not leave it out in the sun dry for extended periods of time (after about a month made a sample of mine a bit rigid).

I am building a one of those sluices that open wide, than narrow, than wide again for fine recovery using this material. Will post video when done, should be up by mid-July.

I am in California, Calaveras County.

driv101

Apr 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re

Funny you should mention this stuff. I use it as an inspection tray under my high bankers grizzly to show me if I am in a good spot or not. The rough top conveyor belt (vortex matting) catches most of the gold, the raised expanded barely has anything. Here's some of the gold it had in it today.

And that gold in the pan.

I like what im looking at you have some exciting minerals showing on top let alone the gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread