Has anyone ever made there own highbanker or dredge?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You can get a pump with a either honda or B&S engine at Harbor Frieght for cheap. Then get the jet fittings @ Keene Eng. Then HD, and build your own dredge. Comes out a lot less,for the same type thing, though for full time dredgeing, you cant beat a real well made one.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Sam Radding's book of plans. I can't remember if its Vol. 1 or 2. Good plans for all sorts of gold catchers.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
I've seen plans from the Honcoop co. for about 25.00 in there past product listings. And yes at weekend outings there are a few people who have built there own units.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making your own anything is akin to making a car by buying parts--costs 2-3 times as much.Your much well served to buy used,but not abused components,and modify or assemble the pieces yourself.I've made thru my ol'company PESCO thousands a dredges,drywashers,highbankers,and tens a thousands a sluice boxes. The few remaining manufacturers have been around for many years and many millions a hours a engineering and stealing of the many others patents and innovations,now gone due to age,illness and theft,have gone into designing some pretty good equipment.Your cash,your time BUT every day wasted runs outta dredge season and you NEVER know if the gold prices will drop like a rock!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
My first dredge that I built was a 3", saved a lot of money, it worked OK for my first. Then I built a 10" saved a tone on it, but it was to big for one person to do good, and my power jet did not work well. But I decided to sell it off and buy a 8" keene because I was running out of time for that year. The power jet is one of the parts that needs to be the best design, so you don't wast gas. You can have a dredge sucks or a dredge that rips, then the next in-portion part is the sluice box, ask ten dredgers and you will get ten different antseers. You can buy used dredge's on the river like the Klamath in northen cal. or in the gold miner journal adds. Precision makes the best pumps and the best power jets, then keens is a good one. That was true back in the mid 90's on the river. but I haven't been dredging in a long time. I used bouth.

J

Jaxom

Someone must have esp! This is exactilly why I came to the forums tonight! As mentioned, sometimes making things don't come out cheaper, but honestly you will know your machine much better then just taking it out of the box. Secondly, without trying to re-invent the wheel, I'd like to modify my dredge to catch flour gold. I don't live in a typical gold state like those out west, or back east, I'm just outside of Chicago, where a "nugget" might be an 1/8" long! lol

I've pretty much go the design of the sluice box down, it's the floatation that's got me stumped. Basically, I would like to build an alaskan beach box and put it up on floats. Just how big and placing those floats so it's balanced correctly, I don't know how to calculate. Just for the record I'm thinking the P90 honda pump keene sells.

Any suggestions would be greatly appericated!

Jax

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
You can look at the way keene got theres set up to get a ruff idea, then you will need a test hole to put your dredge in to so you can move your engine and sluice box around to get it balance, and you should have some gravel in the sluice to emulate the way it will be when your dredging. Then before you nail everything down take it out for a test drive and make sure it the way you want it ,then nail it down.

J

Jaxom

I kinda understand bebop, but let me explain. I was laid off back in april, after 20+ years in retail, I've become fed up with it. Sooo, since I was laid off, I automatically qualify for state paid retraining in any trade I choose. And I chose welding. I want to make this whole thing out of aluminum and perhaps stainless. Save for the jet flare which is marlex. (I'll buy this too from Keene).

Just like the Alaskan beach boxes, the sluice will be 72" long and 24" wide. Figure I'll have to make some sort of adapter plate for the 10" wide flare jet. But unlike the beach boxes, I want to have some punch plates to help classify down the material. I noticed on the Keene website thier smallest dredge uses the 52a sluce, which is only 51" long and uses 41" long pontoons. I had thought about placing the motor in the middle of the sluice, but I can see two potential problems. First and most obvious, this would make clean up more difficult. And while this would balance the unit somewhat, but what about drag that the jetflare, power jet, and hoses would place on that end of the rig.

Something that would be of a great help to me, would be if someone on the board that has a triple stage sluice could take some close up pictures of it. After doing several sketches of what I'm trying to build, I think I forgot one important point and I need to verify something. At the top end of the sluice where the flare jet is located and the first punch plate is, I'ld like to place 1/8" punch plate so anything that size or smaller will fall down onto 1/2" riffles (with ribbed mate under them). If I understand it correctly, the second punch plate rests ontop of those riffles which are also level with the second set of riffles. Since it seems it's best to put larger riffles in the lower portions, say 1" tall with a 1/4" lip, wouldn't i need to build up the bottom of the rear end so everything is level? (note: the front riffles will also have miner's moss under them)

This leaves me with....

1)How big (length and width) should the pontoons be?
2)Engine placement?
3)Building up rear end of sluice so there's proper water flow?
4)Suggestions on how to make this all portable. I have no partner to help me carry stuff.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to get out what I'm trying to accomplish.

Jax

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
You might do a search for Bob Dahlke's 4" backpacker, may give you some ideas. Stick with aluminum for portability on the main box. For stiffness, use steel 1/8 wall square tube for the frame. PVC pipe can be used for floats, you'll have to judge for yourself what wall thickness seems appropriate, a balance between weight and ruggedness. Sunlight breaks down PVC and makes it brittle, so rattlecan it to keep out the sunlight. And your punchplate should be mounted with a space above the riffles for better flow.

Something I've always wanted to try, an over and under type setup like your talking about, but run both the fines and overs the full length. The punch plate would cover the top half of the box, and a slickplate the bottom. Riffles would go down the full length of this.

Underneath would be your fine riffles, expanded metal, ribbed mat and/or miners moss.

It would take some playing around with to get the hole size right on your punchplate for the correct flow underneath. Start with smaller holes on say, 1/2 inch centers and drill them out until you get the optimum flow.

Just some thoughts and ideas to play around with.... No matter what you do, there will be alot of trial and error going on, so be prepared for some serious brainstorming, LOL!

J

Jaxom

jeffro,

Never thought of that! If the box is 6' long have the top half with 1/4" holes and the bottom plate with 1/8" holes, each 3' long. Have a 5' long riffle section leaving the top 1' without them, ribbed matt there and moss the rest of the length... Hhmmm... What size riffles though? 1/2"? 3/4" 1"?

Jax

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Your water flow will be a factor, since its such a wide box. probably start with smaller and see how it goes. :)

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
The pontoons should support your dredge ,with all the Weight of your dredge, and all the water that will be going throw it and gravel and anything you might put on it, and still have 25% of the pontoon above the water. Remember when you are running, the back of the dredge will drop into the water. So by moving the sluice box farther out from your pontoons you can change the angle of your sluice box, and you can balance the dredge. You might have the box out a foot or two from the pontoons. Use thin wall square tubbing 1/2" or 3/4" for the dredge frame. Your 2" or 2.5" dredge won't be very heavy. If you use PVC for pontoons they will be heavy if you use water line. You can use the thin wall PVC sewer line, and use more then one tube on each side like out riggers. They will be cheap and easy to make and you can replace them quick and cheaply. I made my 3" dredge frame so it worked as a dredge frame and a Carrier frame like a deer Carrier with two bicycle wheels on it. So I could take them off when I got to where I was going, and you might make two trips instead of one. On a over and under box the head of the box has punch plat. and the ripple for the upper sluice or down the box. There is a skid plate that you pull out to expose more or less of the punch plate to control the water flow. If you are going for fine gold then use 1/8" or 3/16" punch plate. Don't use miners moss in the under sluice you will plug up the ripple with miners moss, and use 1/2" or 3/4" ripple, they will fill up to a point and work as long as the water is flowing right. Get Dave McCracken books on dredging like, Gold mining in the 21st. century, and Advanced dredging techniques, they are a must at. http://www.goldgold.com/shopping/booksvideos.htm. If I can I will make up some drawing of the power jet and will post them.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Many years ago we had to make our own Dredges because there were not to many good ones around. Buy a dredge and run it this season. When the snow comes work on your idea's. You will have a better idea of what you need to do. You may even find that most of these new dredges retain micro gold pretty darn good...Art

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Here are some drawing I made up, of a four nozzle power jet. The more the nozzle the better the power jet works. The nozzles are set at 11 degree from the power jet. The lower the sluice box sets to the water the more power the power jet has. When I ran my 8" dredge I run the pump pressure at 57lb. witch was ripping. If you want to test your pump pressure, with your power jet, you can make a manifold made out of pip tee , and pip nipples. If your power jet is going to be using two nozzle then use two nipples on the manifold and run your pump engine at 3/4 full throttle to test your pump pressure. To change your pump pressure, change the size of the nozzle. 40lb. to 60lb. should be good. Then when you get the diameter of the nipple to were you like it then you can use that size to make your nozzles. You can call Keene up and ask them what pump pressure they use on there dredges. If you want more detailed drawing, then I can email them to you.

Attachments

• Power Jet per view 2.jpg
    Power Jet per view 2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 7,016
  • Power Jet side view.jpg
    Power Jet side view.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 6,227
  • Power Jet top view.jpg
    Power Jet top view.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5,608

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
I just bought a nice little backpack hibanker from RDH on ebay. it is good quality stuff. I paid under $150 for it.

Depends on how far you have to carry it as to how big you may want to build it. I plan on doing some back country prospecting next summer and didn't want to pack my 5' sluice around. This little ditty is sweet.. Can run on a motor cycle or ATV battery.. has a boat bilge as a pump.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made "thousands" of 3/4 inductor jets and this one has some glaring defects-26% loss to begin with. You NEVER have a straight feedin to your pressure chamber because you lose 18% of your flow pressure and blast a hole thru your jet in no time flat!! It should be cut sideways and mounted the same in a Q fashion WITHOUT that 90 degree angle,straight in only,as there goes another 8 % of your flow.EVERYTHING matters and when it's added up your mistakes make a lousy mini sucker instead of a hand grabbn' rock sucking monster!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Hoser John can we see some drawing of your designs so we can better understand.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
IMHO the beach box will not work with a dredge setup. my reason is the beach box is to be feed slowly with only so much water. depending on the pump/dredge size/hose size and the dredge nozzel requirments will superced these requirments. maybe if you only used a 2 inch line/nozzel but then your throwing tons of rocks. learn patience! and use a dredge and learn to feed slowly and have the dredge setup for fine gold like i do here in missouri.the beach box will be to top heavy to work on floats. i made a alumnimum beach box years ago of my design and paul over on www.iowagold.com posted a picture of it.look in his lists of options,"new gold gear. how to pages, build your own equipment,then to the bottom of that page look for "beach box" there are three pics of my beach box. at the lower end of my box i put two peices of aluiminum sheeting across the exit of the box. DONT DO THIS! it clogged up my material from dropping off the box. i had a bucket under it to check my loss. waste of time!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I gotta tell ya, Hoser and I don't see eye to eye on a few things, but when it comes to dredge designs, he's the man!

There is a fairly well known dredge design out there from a few years back- it's Hoser's....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread