Anyone in FL want to go prospect in WY?

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
I am planning to head out to WY in the next few weeks from the Orlando area. I spent 8 years roaming the mountains in WY before I got into MD'ing and I know of plenty of old mines and promising sites. Some are not on any maps. Looking for someone to come along and share expenses and finds. I have detectors, sluices and pans. Laramie is nicknamed the Gem City and there are some diamond mines in the area that we can go to as well along with lots of old ghost towns and long ababdoned homesites. Lots of other gems are also found in the area of SE WY. Looking to spend only 7 to 10 days, unless of course we find a vein :o. If interested, get back to me at [email protected] Pete

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that sounds like an Adventure!
Hope you do well WyoBuck :icon_thumleft:
Keep us posted and don't forget to take photos.

Look for wide circular depressions where vegetation is sparse, those may be ancient kimberlite or lamproite volcanic pipes which are often covered by water. So if you see a pond with no vegetation around it ....Dig
Aultman, Ferris and Schaffer are the most well known kimberlites in that area.

You may well find some Pyrope (cape emerald) and chromian diopsides (garnet) also known as cape ruby. Typical of diamondiferous lamprophyre deposits found in southern Wyoming. Keep a sharp eye out for diamonds as well.

Don't forget your gps to record locations of finds (you may want to file a mineral claim) and to find your way back to the same location after time goes by. I also like to keep a hard copy just in case the gps gets lost or stolen.

Here is a photo of some Pyrope and Cape Ruby that are gem quality
garnets.jpg

Wish I could go, but no such luck :'(
Be with you in spirit though :icon_thumleft:

GG~

OP
OP
wyobuck

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
GG- wow thanks for the well wishing and the info. Sounds like you really know your stuff. Are you in FL?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyobuck said:
GG- wow thanks for the well wishing and the info. Sounds like you really know your stuff. Are you in FL?

I'm in southern Indiana. But my heart is out west where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word and the sky's are not cloudy all day. But I don't mean Kansas ...I just like the song. :laughing7:

As far as knowing my stuff goes, I'm still learning, and have hardly scratched the surface. :tongue3:

Go for the gold!
GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Wyobuck, Hope you find a dependable Pard to team up with. Some of that WY country can be a little rough and dangerous for a man alone. Unfortunately, I am committed here in Oklahoma for another year, while my heart is a little further out West on a virgin creekbed. Just be careful when picking a pard, there are already enough unfriendlies in the bush without adding one. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
wyobuck

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Gray Cloud and russau, thanks for the advice. The area I am going to, I know like the back of my hand, rode dirtbikes over just about every trail we could find and in the winter we used snowmobiles. Actually saved some lives guiding lost out of towners to safety when blinding snow came in. The heavy water volume in the area I am sure lossened up some gold on those hillsides and hope it makes things a bit easier. My son will be aound some of the time, as he still resides in Laramie, so I won't be entirely alone. As far as finding a trustworthy partner, well that's why I posted here :)

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Well I feel better knowing you are not a greenhorn from Florida, with no idea what offload WY is about. I too have been out there in the middle of Summer and in the middle of the Winter with the wind blowing snow around at 80 mph. Just have to be prepared. Having hands on experience in that area puts you way ahead of the game. Probably already have several prime spots picked out. Luck to ya. :thumbsup:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i am thinking there are a lot of dredgers in California that might like the idea, can ya dredge in WY :laughing7:

OP
OP
wyobuck

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Don't believe you can use powered equipment. I do know a water hole in some falls that has gold. You would need some thick wetsuits though. Its also pretty tough to get to.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyobuck said:
Don't believe you can use powered equipment. I do know a water hole in some .falls that has gold. You would need some thick wetsuits though. Its also pretty tough to get to.

Quit you're making me drool :tongue3:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have :hello: dry suit, hooka
what else

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
, can ya dredge in WY : OH HLL YA! up to a 3 inch nozzel! ive been dredgeing there for several years. the snow melt kept me from going this year because of the flooding!

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000 with 11" M/DD and GoldScreamer pack
Etrac with 15x18 SEF & 10" Slimeline with inline Sunray
F75 with 11" & 5" DD with inline Sunray for my son
Garrett Infinium with 14" DD, 8" mono and 3x7 DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, how did you do in Wyo? I miss the beauty out there and would love to detect the area. Spent two years at UW... but spent my time playing baseball, drinking, a bit of fishing and chasing girls. I should have paid attention in Geology class and explored more. If your looking for a partner next year, let me know and I can try to get some time off.

Rob

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
nope not looking for a partner! im a invited party to a friends claim. every year the take is different.yep the waters cold.i bring two wetsuits. 1 full coverage 3mm and the other is a 7mm shorty that i sometimes mix and match suits.ive never had to use both of them at the same time but i can if i need it.one of these days ill build me a wetsuit heater, but for now im doing ok as is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread