GOLD RUSH ALASKA season 2

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GG...

You make a good point.. mining at that level is certainly full of it's ups and downs...even an experienced miner at times will get challenged with the conditions and problem he is faced with.... and if you've never had to work through them before... the first time you're faced with something unfamiliar, it can be a bit over whelming....especially when the weight of your family's well being is on your shoulders...pushing you to succeed at all cost...

Even though the episodes seem somewhat staged.. there is one thing that they have pointed out with realism..... and sooooooo many newer prospectors may be missing... and that is setting up. running and maintaining an operation like they had at Porcupine Creek..and what they are wanting to do in the Yukon... is a whole lot of hard work... and usually requires so much more time than what you initially figured on before you are running daily...you MUST had a wide streak of persistence and willingness to take on all challenges... running through you to succeed...

I wish them well.... it should be entertaining to see what situations they can get into this season....

Klondike

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bell said:
And if Dakota Fred is some hardened old timer miner, I would have expected someone on here to have at least heard of him before, or at least knew someone that new him, anybody ever hard of him? I think its like pawn stars, all fake as can be. Frankly I wish discovery and history and such would get back to making shows about history and science etc.

Did a little checking on "Dakota Fred" Hurt ..................
The reason most have not heard of him as a gold miner is due to him only doing it for the last seven years.

Fred began his construction career in the late sixties, working as a Commercial Diver in the Gulf of Mexico where he learned underwater construction, demolition and salvage. In 2004, after nearly 25 years of running his own construction company, he "retired" and started exploring the idea of gold mining in Alaska.

After an unsuccessful few seasons of mining at Porcupine and Caribou Creek, he moved on to claims in Nevada, Wyoming and Montana. Then in 2008 he returned to Alaska — this time to the frozen wastes of the Arctic Circle — to a claim at Little Squaw Lake where he helped design, build and operate a gold processing plant. In one short season, his five-man team managed to extract over 600 ounces of gold from the frozen ground.

So basically he has had 1 short successful mining season out of seven to his credit.
He is being called "Dakota Fraud" by some.

He also has a facebook page that is now being updated, supposedly due to misinformation that had previously been posted.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Fred-Hurt/100001180396476

Seems the 67 years old attitude was formed at an early age :laughing7:
images.jpg
Fred Hurt age: 6wks.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\
HOLLY CRAP
what a prick fred is.
all that work only to get screwed by fred the prik.
anyone know where i fan watch the whole show, it wont hit canadain tv for quite a while.
They should have burried the hole with fred in it. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so whos got dibs for when Dorsey shows up with Fred!!!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched episode 2 :hello2:

If episode 2 is any indicator of this season I think I'm really going to enjoy watching it all unfold :icon_thumleft:
3 times the fix for my gold mining jones :tongue3:

GG~

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree a lot does not add up....a lot!I will say though that one thing is very factual and I think that any of the experienced miners on here will agree....this show shows what gold does to people.It effects folks like nothing else and brings the worst out in them.
I had a glory hole of my own some years ago,on a family members ground.He wanted me to suction dredge it as it was a known 20 feet deep,hole in limestone bedrock that was about 50 ft x 50 ft.There was thousands of dollars in gold taken above and below,but the "hole itself could never be de watered properly,so it was virgin. The deal was I did the work,my equiptment(he would man the box up top)and we would split everything right down the middle(gold)My first venture down I realized the hole was deeper than 20 feet,as my 25 ft of hose wouldnt even get me to the top of the overburden,so I had to order more hose and rig a booster on my jet tube,which actually was a blessing because I couldnt get that for a couple weeks and my "partner",wanted to dig right in the center,which I didnt want to do,and we couldnt anyway until the mods were done.So were were forced to start on the outside and work in....like we should do anyway...sample,figure out where the paystreak was and what it did instead of dumping tailings on good gold being greedy.Long story short at the end of the first day we had far exceeded even what I thought we would pull...in a spot where gold wasnt theoretically supposed to be(gold is where you find it)There was a nice rose quartz rock with gold shot through it in the box as well that I gifted to my "partner",with the agreement I would get the next nugget.I continued on with fantastic results in the same area where gold just should not have been,but it was there,all the while my co hort was growing more and more restless and wanted to hit the center and go down.He would ask everyday where the several ounce nuggets were,why werent we finding those?I tried to explain to him that the area had been known for that kind of gold but gold is gold and the stuff we were getting was just as pure as any old nugget,we would clean up the butter first,then move in methodically,even if it took another season or two.Well he just couldnt see that and at the end of the second month and many ounces in the poke he accused me of swallowing the BIG NUGGETS while I was under,and informed me he was going to buy an outfit and do it him self.Well..........I have never been one to allow anyone to call me a theif,cheat or liar....that had actually never happened to me before,and after the initial shock my first instinct was to knock this sob out but he was a elder family member whom I had looked up to my whole life and I was hurt....I didnt quite know what to do,he had been holding all of what we found and I didnt have as much as an ounce,but I remembered what my Grandfather had told me about gold,and what it did to people ....the fever,best friends had killed one another,grown men had completly gone batty,family fortunes had been spent and lost in its quest and he told me to never let that happen,and to beware.I was raised mining for gold and had disputes in the past with guys I had teamed up with,but never had it strike home like this time did.
He never bought an outfit,I did get SOME of the take,but I honestly was so disillusioned with whole thing I didnt want any of it.See I know whats more important in life and some things just arent worth dieing over(I honestly beleive,he is and was capable of that)I just chalked it up as a lesson learned.The hole sits there still untouched,and still haunts me to this day,....it will for the rest of my days.The rest of the family knows what went on,and knows what kind of a person I am,so someday God willing,I will see just what lies at the bottom of that deep dark hole

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1 said:
Hope that day comes to ya Kuger. :notworthy:

Me too Kuger. That's sour in more ways than one.

I'm with GG. Should be interesting. I like that kid across the creek. Parker? He's got his head on straight.
And where did all theose new lifted trucks come from anyway? I can't imagine not making money for a year would look good on a loan application.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
I'm with GG. Should be interesting. I like that kid across the creek. Parker? He's got his head on straight.
And where did all theose new lifted trucks come from anyway? I can't imagine not making money for a year would look good on a loan application.

The number one show on Discovery last season was "GOLD RUSH ALASKA" The network was sure to put millions into it this season.
I'm sure as has already been suggested that the real gold mine for the crew is the pay from the show itself :icon_thumleft:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Buddy, I confess. I am addicted to the dang show. Just wish I were up there. When the reality of hard work, cold and isolation hits home, a lot of the newer Alaska prospector will pull out. This should free up some of there claims over the next couple of years. Wouldn't mind setting up a small scale (25yph) Summer operation up there. :icon_scratch:
Kuger, I sure hope the day comes that you plant your feet back on the family claim. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys,if that day doesnt it will be responsible for motivating me to always keep looking for the comparable!!! :thumbsup:

Calisdad,I thought the same thing.....I will take that kind of bad season anytime!!!!

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
Ok folks in case you missed Season 2 episode 1 here is a link to it: Just click on "continue as free user"

http://www.putlocker.com/file/937F58BF038F8501#
Just watched it, still stand by the fact that fred is a prick, but you got to pay for the renewal. very important in the mining business.
i do hope they dont film freds stealing the gold from all season 1's hard work.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy and Allen, just as I said and predicted about the first airing of the first shows. I KNEW Fred was going to buy out Porccupine Creek Claim, I KNEW the show was going to use the Schnabbles, and I KNEW the PUFFMANS were going to get kicked off and have to find another claim! I just wish I could predict the major jackpot lottery!!

Just like the series Deadliest Catch, Axe Men, Discovery was going to make it like a competition between the miners on who finds the most gold or who finds it or whos busts on it. At least it was interesting to see the show go back and forth from the Puffmans, to Fred, and the young Schnabble who isn't even finished with school yet so we get less veiwing of the Puffmans for a whole hour!!!!!!!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Harley you called it right. Just wonder if it is all true or for the sake of the show. :icon_scratch:
Old Sneaky Fred made one big misstake. He should have temporarily stayed in the Glory Hole. That would have been one heck of an Ounce to Ton Ratio. The hole was already dug and just needed to be widen and made more accessable. He could have then used the paystreak overburden to backfill the hole and then work the pay streak over the next few years. I am still a novice at this game, but I know not to take the shoes off a winning horse. :icon_scratch:
Keep it between the ditches Harley. :thumbsup:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred is staying in the hole. He only filled in the water retention pond.

I fail to see how Fred was sneaky. He plainly stated to Todd last season that he wanted to mine Porcupine with his own crew. He had a standing offer on the property to Earle Foster for years. Foster called Fred in the off-season and told him the Hoffman's lease was in the process of being nullified(the show implies it was due to Todd missing a lease payment) and offered him a chance to beat two "huge" offers on the table to sell him the mining claim. They made a deal and when Fred called Todd to discuss "something important", Todd hung up on him.

On top of all that, the editors have done a fair job of making Fred seem like he "stole" the claim. So much so that they had to do a special on the Discovery.com to lay it out:
http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/dakota-fred-tells-his-side-of-the-porcupine-creek-story.html

I want to see more of the young Parker Schnabel.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
What must really suck to Todd and his crew is to know that there are areas not 200 miles from his hometown of Sandy, Oregon where they coulda done much better, if not for the restrictions in Oregon.

Gotta keep it in perspective and know that Discovery channel is only gonna show what sells best on TV, and that is drama, on reality shows...

Sure they have almost no experience, but they are out there doing it with the big boys.

More power to 'em. Go get 'em and good luck guys, I wish you the best! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread