Canyon gold

loby

Oct 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiiii....

Gold Canyon is located a few miles south of Alleghany, California, on the border between Sierra and Nevada Counties. The middle fork of the Yuba River flows through the canyon. Gold mining began in Gold Canyon in the early 1850s and has continued to present day. Three major gold mines are located here: German Bar Mine, Gold Canõn Mine, and Independent Mine.
Before power was brought to the area, the nearby Plumbago Mine built a power plant on the river next to the present day bridge. A dam was also built about a mile up river which fed a 3-foot-diameter (0.91 m) redwood penstock that supplied high pressure water to the power plant.
Once power was brought to the area, the power plant was shut down, and soon afterward local miners began dismantling the penstock to use the redwood. William Whore used the wood to build three cabins. Two of those remain today, but the third burned in 1949.
There was also extensive drag line dredging done in the river, just west of the old power plant site. Hough piles of giant boulders remain in arc shaped piles on the south side of the river.
Gold Canyon has also been the site of three plane crashes, the first a large commercial plane in the late 1940s, the second a small private plane in the early 1960s, and the last was a small helicopter around 1980.
Today there is still active mining in Gold Canyon, both placer and hard rock.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody else think that loby is a bot trying to rack up posts?
seems like they are all some off bit of trivia info....

me thinks the mods need to check this guy out a little more, just look at all of his other posts, very trivia/google-ish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread