Placer claim/Lode claim question....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, you legal eagle gold prospectors.... My brother TimC and I need the answer to this technical question asked. Can a NEW PLACER claim be filed over part of an EXISTING LODE claim.... or in reverse, can a NEW LODE claim be filed under an EXISTING PLACER claim? Seems to me, one can be done but the other cannot. Anyone help us out? TTC

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim, this is a question that ultimately must be decided in a Civil Court. I can think of at least three cases - two in the Bradshaw Mountians, where Placer claims were made over existing Lode claims near Columbia, and Cow Creek. Lots of lawyer and court fees.. Be real careful buddy, and remember that the BLM is going to take your paperwork and money, then let God sort it out.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can file a lode claim over a placer but not the other way around. So when filing a new claim its best to file placer first or you could double stake and have both filed together. But once a Lode claim has been filed on a location you cannot normally file a placer over it.

Although as Terry stated, a Court has the power to decide otherwise.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx for responding guys. Seems that as I slept in, this morning, TimC called the people in Yavapai County to learn that we can file a placer claim OVER the lode claim but WE MUST FILE a disclaimer in writing (as part of the claim filing) that we have no interest in the lode claims and/or its workings. The answer given to us was more lengthy but I tried to give it (above) in a nutshell. TTC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to correct my brother (TerryC). I talked to a BLM agent in the Pheonix office. The rest is essentialy correct. The disclaimer covers the mineral and mining rights of the overlapped portion. However; hunting, fishing, hiking, etc, are as before and are not effected by the disclaimer. TimC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions