Week long prospecting trip went to Colorado , Wyoming , South Dakota , Gpaa claims

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow just got back home and am i beat. First we hit colorado then headed up to Medicine Bowl National Forest Wyoming there is a couple gpaa claims up there we hit and some other places . The gpaa claims are some great claims we found gold in every pan but if you explore a little bit and look over the maps good you can find some really good spots . Then we headed to the black hills and found some killer spots up there to . Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone was great places to just not for panning .LOL Im kinda new to gold panning but i plan on going back in a month or so i figure everytime i go back i will find more spots. Anybody else pan around these areas.

Upvote 0

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to hear you had a blast and found some color as well, the FUN is what it's all about the GOLD is just a bonus. Can you post some pic's of your gold, I'm going through withdraws ... :tongue3:

OP
OP
O

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post some pics tonight we did really well I thought for being new to the area. I think we came out with 3 or 4 grams maybe more I have a bunch of cons and about 200 pounds of river bottom that we still have to go threw . There was so much black sand in Wyoming it was crazy how much black sand there was.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you had a good time, especially here in Colorado. Which spots did you hit in CO?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Okie Jack,
What spots did you check in South Dakota? I own a claim that boarders the Maryanne claim on the north. That GPAA claim is pretty good. As a matter of fact I was there with some folks from Missouri a couple of weeks ago and uncovered a huge boulder of hemitite that is about 3ft long x 2 1/2 ft wide and about 10 inches thick. Two of us couldn't move it. It weighted between 4 and 5 hundred pounds. Glad you had a good time in South Dakota.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
O

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not remember the spots name in Colorado it was west of Denver I found it on the Internet did not find a hole lot there probably because we was in a hurry . In Wyoming we hit big nose Kate claim on douglas creek and I think the other claim was carol placer. We found most of our gold on a old claim that gpaa had owned in the past but now I think the government owns it from what I'm told. Most of the gold we found was in the bends of the creek were the water had washed a hole under the bank 3 or 4 feet deep. And at some beaver dams or some kind of dams that had made 3 or 4 feet waterfalls. At first the black sands was so thick it was hard to work with luckily I had a big magnet I brought.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like quite an adventure anyway. Next time you are headed to CO, post here for hints. Magnets are on e of the game changers that the original prospectors lacked - a big asset for us now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread