what is the best sluice box for finding gold fast and easy???

robbenmessi1010

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was checking out some youtube videos and found that many people like the bazooka gold trap sluice box. i thought it looked very nice and easy to use. the price isnt really a problem for me either, so $200 is OK. so i need reviews from other people who have used this sluice. also, i would like to know if the bazooka sluice is better than the keene engineering A52 sluice. well, thank you so much!

Upvote 0

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Drop riffles do catch fine gold good. I've had both. Funny but when it comes to cleanup devices I've not seen one with hungarian riffles.

I see your point , but sluices and cleanup devices are very different things. Cleanup devices run very little water and very slowly. I have not seen any river sluices with a flat smooth bottom. They work literally because the there is enough water to only wash away the lights but not enough to wash away the heavies. While your hungarian riffles work to gradually slow the water flow enough for the heavies to drop out. And the larger and "raised" low pressure area behind them can literally pull fines out of the water flow. Drop riffles dont slow the water much , they just catch the heavies if they get low enough in the watercline , thats why they dont work as well if the water is too fast , smaller stuff may not make it low enough in the watercline to get trapped before exiting the sluice. The effectiveness of any sluice though , depends completely on being set up properly for conditions , and for the type of sluice it is. But there are as many opinions on them as there are people in the world I suppose , so we just use the one we are most comfortable with.

Ive had instances with my A51 , where there was not enough wate rflow to clean out the riffles and get the exchange going , I could have used a drop riffle sluice then , .... and Ive had instances where there was just way too much flow to think it was catching many fines at all. But these are extremes and overall I think this type of sluice has a larger effectiveness "window" , able to work effectively in the widest range of water flow without losing many fines.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In many cases you can make use of a wing dam to speed up the water flow or else create a diverter dam to slow down the flow to the sluice.
Of course it's much eaiser to slow down the water than it is to speed it up.

GG~

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hunter_46356 said:
I really think asking a prospector which sluice to buy is like askin a fisherman which lure to buy. Everyones got their favorite, There's a whole bunch out there that work and most of us havn't got to use them all. This would be like me. When you use the words "best" and "easy" it's all realative to "who" and "where" you are, what kinda gold your trying to find and how much you expect to get out of how much work you put in. By your comment "the price isnt really a problem for me either, so $200 is OK" Kinda lends me to believe you have more expendable cash than most. If I were you I'd get me a Bazooka and a 52 and do another thread about which worked for you maybe some video of how things went. I didn't have the cash to buy a fluid bed so I made one.....actually several. The theory works...but what I found, you've got to get everything right, water flow and volume vs trap size, trap depth, output height and probably a few more variables to end up with a well functioning fluid bed sluice. Also made several standard sluices as well. Found I was spending more time MacGuyvering stuff than working on finding gold. My vial filled a lot faster when I figured this out. Narrow it down for yourself and just get wet and come home tired and you will have earned what ever you have found whether it's gold or lessons learned. Hunter

Nice Response:
At first... I thought... Here we go...
I also am the McGyver type. Love to tinker with crap. I end up spending more time and cash than if I had just bought the thing. I made a blue bowl probably should have bought it. I just hope thats gold in the bowl and not mercury,uranium or cryptinite. :)
In the process of building my second bazooka type sluice. Looks like junk but I may have learned some things from the failures if the first one. I really like the fluid bed principle and is something I can actually wrap my mind around.
Keep us thinking. And god luck to all.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watched a lot of YouTube video's and ended up picking up a Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice, it is the Miner version.

Its really big but it does a great job.

Here is a video of what I got from my first bucket of clean out from a crevice and the grass clump growing in it.
I dont think I had enough angle because I ended up with a ton of cons as you can see from the video.

I did meet someone today that was working the same area that I was and they put 5 buckets through a standard sluice and only got half of what I did for my 1 bucket.
Of course the quality of the material is different from inch to inch, it is still something to think about. :)

Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the Miner that is about how much cons you will get every time...that is how much the trap holds. The trap fills as the first couple shovels full go thru and then it just exchanges material. If you ran all day it would be the same volume...but with more gold mixed in it!

PS looked like pretty good gold to me for the amount of material worked! Get your self a little jet dry (generic version is cheaper and just fine) and a 50 mesh classifier. Then pan whatever goes thru the classifier separately...it easier to get the fine gold that way :)

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up here in nh. most of what we have is fine placer gold . I have a keene sluice don't know what number it is, it's 3 feet long works great at catching fine gold .It's easy to set up and run I've been prospecting now for about 3 yrs. I like it. Beats a pan!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Up here in nh. most of what we have is fine placer gold . I have a keene sluice don't know what number it is, it's 3 feet long works great at catching fine gold .It's easy to set up and run I've been prospecting now for about 3 yrs. I like it. Beats a pan!

If it has straight sides, its a A51
If it has a flare in the upstream end its a A52
Both are good "river sluices"
My personal fav is a LeTrap
Most any sluice of about this size will process 10x what any pan will but no matter what you use, at the end of the day you will have a pan in your hand :thumbsup:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it's got a flair at the top it's an a52 thanks . No matter how hard we try just can't get away from that pan!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KayEhm:

How come every time you post there is a link to "Goldrushtradingpost" in
your post?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience the bazooka is pretty awesome, especially for the price.

KayEhm please stop spamming the posts. You have to be a supporting vendor to advertise your website.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 2 cents

I live in Washington state. We are famous for flour gold. Have been strictly panning for about a year. Finally got a Bazooka gold trap 2 days ago. Saves you the trouble of most all your needs. No need to classify and minimal clean out material. Here is what I got after 3 hours of running.
Well.....I wish I could figure it out but my phone doesn't let me drag a picture. Maybe later. Love this sluice thou. Amazing.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as a sluce box that will catch gold. All any of them will catch is visible gold, 100 mesh up! The water flow is too fast to hold the micro gold. Since that visible gold is only about 5% of the total gold your running, the absolute best sluce looses 95% of the gold ran through it. This includes all high bankers, and dredges that use a sluce system. Sorry but that is the truth. In fact, you run a 4 inch dredge all day, you will dump enough fine and micro-fine gold back into the creek to pay for it several times over!!!!!

Learn to use your gold pan! Quit being afraid of it! A supersluce pan will hang on to 95% of the gold! You will go home with far more, properly production panning than you will running a sluce, ever! And you don't need to clasify.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mitch, what part of the country have you prospected in where there is so much -250 (aka invisible) gold? How should I test my local area to see if this is true where I am?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Mitch, you really ought to see all the -100 we catch on the beach. Then you ought to spend some time trying to pan the stuff from our beaches where it's ALL heavy black sand. Might learn something.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no such thing as a sluce box that will catch gold. All any of them will catch is visible gold, 100 mesh up! The water flow is too fast to hold the micro gold. Since that visible gold is only about 5% of the total gold your running, the absolute best sluce looses 95% of the gold ran through it. This includes all high bankers, and dredges that use a sluce system. Sorry but that is the truth. In fact, you run a 4 inch dredge all day, you will dump enough fine and micro-fine gold back into the creek to pay for it several times over!!!!!

Learn to use your gold pan! Quit being afraid of it! A supersluce pan will hang on to 95% of the gold! You will go home with far more, properly production panning than you will running a sluce, ever! And you don't need to clasify.

I don't even know where to start on this one...... Lets just say you have a lot of misconceptions about sluicing and the efficiency of various types of sluices.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the best sluice out there is the one that has gold in it.

ldwjack

Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunter_46356 just get wet and come home tired and you will have earned what ever you have found whether it's gold or lessons learned. Hunter. I'm very new to this but that has to be the best thing I have EVER heard yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions