Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: what is the best sluice box for finding gold fast and easy???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    792 times
    trouble is, is that nothing is EZ when it comes to captureing gold! and theres no one sluice thatll do it all for everyone! like it has been stated," to many variables". best advice i can give is get one,learn it,and use it and stop looking for the greener grass in the next valley.otherwise youll do like me and buy every new idea out there and they basically do the same thing a little differently and youll have a ton of $$ invested and most of the equipment youll buy will sit there collecting dust untill you resell it for a loss!

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois (STL area)
    Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    trouble is, is that nothing is EZ when it comes to captureing gold! and theres no one sluice thatll do it all for everyone! like it has been stated," to many variables". best advice i can give is get one,learn it,and use it and stop looking for the greener grass in the next valley.otherwise youll do like me and buy every new idea out there and they basically do the same thing a little differently and youll have a ton of $$ invested and most of the equipment youll buy will sit there collecting dust untill you resell it for a loss!
    Sad, but true.

us
    Bazooka Goldtrap enthusiast

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices (retired!). Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, occasional gold cube & dredge
    2322 times
    Prospecting
    Russ - your subtle humor, as usual, makes my day! Now I have a mental image of this fascinating/puzzling pile of gold getting gear under a light coat of dust taking up half your garage ;-)

Ohiochris and others- good point about classification...it is always important, especially so with a drop riffle in low water conditions. I classify to 8 in low water and 4 in fuller flow. At 8 I always worry I will toss aside a nugget...what can I say, I'm an optimist!!
    Jimmydolittle likes this.
    ...it is too about havin' the gold!

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois (STL area)
    Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Kevin, I've seen that garage and you're almost dead right....

us
    Jul 2010
    64 times
    Drop riffles do catch fine gold good. I've had both. Funny but when it comes to cleanup devices I've not seen one with hungarian riffles.
    Libertytreespirit likes this.

us
    May 2009
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Watson View Post
    Drop riffles do catch fine gold good. I've had both. Funny but when it comes to cleanup devices I've not seen one with hungarian riffles.

I see your point , but sluices and cleanup devices are very different things. Cleanup devices run very little water and very slowly. I have not seen any river sluices with a flat smooth bottom. They work literally because the there is enough water to only wash away the lights but not enough to wash away the heavies. While your hungarian riffles work to gradually slow the water flow enough for the heavies to drop out. And the larger and "raised" low pressure area behind them can literally pull fines out of the water flow. Drop riffles dont slow the water much , they just catch the heavies if they get low enough in the watercline , thats why they dont work as well if the water is too fast , smaller stuff may not make it low enough in the watercline to get trapped before exiting the sluice. The effectiveness of any sluice though , depends completely on being set up properly for conditions , and for the type of sluice it is. But there are as many opinions on them as there are people in the world I suppose , so we just use the one we are most comfortable with.

Ive had instances with my A51 , where there was not enough wate rflow to clean out the riffles and get the exchange going , I could have used a drop riffle sluice then , .... and Ive had instances where there was just way too much flow to think it was catching many fines at all. But these are extremes and overall I think this type of sluice has a larger effectiveness "window" , able to work effectively in the widest range of water flow without losing many fines.
    Last edited by ohiochris; Aug 17, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1968 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    In many cases you can make use of a wing dam to speed up the water flow or else create a diverter dam to slow down the flow to the sluice.
    Of course it's much eaiser to slow down the water than it is to speed it up.

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices (retired!). Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, occasional gold cube & dredge
    2322 times
    Prospecting
    :-)

us
    The Oak

May 2012
    Southern California
    Just Me For the time being
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_46356
    I really think asking a prospector which sluice to buy is like askin a fisherman which lure to buy. Everyones got their favorite, There's a whole bunch out there that work and most of us havn't got to use them all. This would be like me. When you use the words "best" and "easy" it's all realative to "who" and "where" you are, what kinda gold your trying to find and how much you expect to get out of how much work you put in. By your comment "the price isnt really a problem for me either, so $200 is OK" Kinda lends me to believe you have more expendable cash than most. If I were you I'd get me a Bazooka and a 52 and do another thread about which worked for you maybe some video of how things went. I didn't have the cash to buy a fluid bed so I made one.....actually several. The theory works...but what I found, you've got to get everything right, water flow and volume vs trap size, trap depth, output height and probably a few more variables to end up with a well functioning fluid bed sluice. Also made several standard sluices as well. Found I was spending more time MacGuyvering stuff than working on finding gold. My vial filled a lot faster when I figured this out. Narrow it down for yourself and just get wet and come home tired and you will have earned what ever you have found whether it's gold or lessons learned. Hunter
    Nice Response:
    At first... I thought... Here we go...
    I also am the McGyver type. Love to tinker with crap. I end up spending more time and cash than if I had just bought the thing. I made a blue bowl probably should have bought it. I just hope thats gold in the bowl and not mercury,uranium or cryptinite.
    In the process of building my second bazooka type sluice. Looks like junk but I may have learned some things from the failures if the first one. I really like the fluid bed principle and is something I can actually wrap my mind around.
    Keep us thinking. And god luck to all.

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
    575 times
    Prospecting
    I watched a lot of YouTube video's and ended up picking up a Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice, it is the Miner version.

Its really big but it does a great job.

Here is a video of what I got from my first bucket of clean out from a crevice and the grass clump growing in it.
    I dont think I had enough angle because I ended up with a ton of cons as you can see from the video.

I did meet someone today that was working the same area that I was and they put 5 buckets through a standard sluice and only got half of what I did for my 1 bucket.
    Of course the quality of the material is different from inch to inch, it is still something to think about.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by NeoTokyo; Aug 27, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

May 2014
    3 times
    In my experience the bazooka is pretty awesome, especially for the price.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Dec 17, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    2322 times
    Prospecting

what is the best sluice box for finding gold fast and easy???

With the Miner that is about how much cons you will get every time...that is how much the trap holds. The trap fills as the first couple shovels full go thru and then it just exchanges material. If you ran all day it would be the same volume...but with more gold mixed in it!

PS looked like pretty good gold to me for the amount of material worked! Get your self a little jet dry (generic version is cheaper and just fine) and a 50 mesh classifier. Then pan whatever goes thru the classifier separately...it easier to get the fine gold that way
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Dec 12, 2014 at 09:22 AM.

gold miner antique collector

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    whites
    Up here in nh. most of what we have is fine placer gold . I have a keene sluice don't know what number it is, it's 3 feet long works great at catching fine gold .It's easy to set up and run I've been prospecting now for about 3 yrs. I like it. Beats a pan!

Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70
    245 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nh.nugget View Post
    Up here in nh. most of what we have is fine placer gold . I have a keene sluice don't know what number it is, it's 3 feet long works great at catching fine gold .It's easy to set up and run I've been prospecting now for about 3 yrs. I like it. Beats a pan!
    If it has straight sides, its a A51
    If it has a flare in the upstream end its a A52
    Both are good "river sluices"
    My personal fav is a LeTrap
    Most any sluice of about this size will process 10x what any pan will but no matter what you use, at the end of the day you will have a pan in your hand

gold miner antique collector

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    whites
    Yea it's got a flair at the top it's an a52 thanks . No matter how hard we try just can't get away from that pan!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links