WHAT TO DO WITH BLACK SAND??? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: WHAT TO DO WITH BLACK SAND???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My advice is - the majority of readers of this thread will be lucky to accumulate a 5-gal bucket of bs in two or three seasons, therefore, the cost of assays
    and processing do not seem economical. I once had assay done on dredge cons bs and sure enough high gold content. But after trying to lug a half 5 gal.
    bucket up 500 ft to truck - just dumped the other bucket - no regrets. At least wait til you have two or three full buckets before taking that step (or
    PM prices double)
    Last edited by Fullpan; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9023 times
    I can get more than 5 gallons a week in my dredge. Closer to two gallons a day. As for the economics of refining it, I don't know if it would be worth it. Never had them assayed.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2778 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I can get more than 5 gallons a week in my dredge. Closer to two gallons a day. As for the economics of refining it, I don't know if it would be worth it. Never had them assayed.
    .......you may be surprised?

Fullpan,you are so right.....most five gallon buckets handles can not hold much over a half bucket

I had a guy come by the house years ago wanting to buy straight Bs.I didnt know what to even charge so i said $1 a lb....he said fine and that he wanted at LEAST a five gallon bucket,and had $50......I laughed when I told him $50 was not going to get him a 5 gallon bucket!!He says...well whats one full weigh?I said I dunno try to pick one up........he strolled over all cocky and about pulled his arm outta socket when he went to just one hand lift it up!!!
    Fullpan and johnedoe like this.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kuger View Post
    .......you may be surprised?
    Well, I might send some off to be assayed just for grins. The problem is transportation. Let's say my BS assays well, then how do I transport hundreds, or thousands of pounds to a refinery willing to buy it? Transport cost and time could easily depreciate the majority of any values.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2778 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Well, I might send some off to be assayed just for grins. The problem is transportation. Let's say my BS assays well, then how do I transport hundreds, or thousands of pounds to a refinery willing to buy it? Transport cost and time could easily depreciate the majority of any values.
    Yep,that is why I dont even fuss with mine.......I looked into having mine shipped by my bud,I mentioned but keeping them seperate is just too big a PITA!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Jason - I'm talking about the leftover bs after cycling through at least 2 rounds of gold extraction.

Kuger - had many buckets rendered worthless (except for using as a stool) when as a noob, I tried to carry too much dirt in
    them and ripping the standard handles off. Bs buckets full weigh about 400lbs, haha!
    Last edited by Fullpan; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
    kuger likes this.

ca
    Dec 2012
    British Columbia
    21 times
    It is true if you are a recreational panner and get only a pound or two of blacksand a year it is just not worth bothering with. However if you get even a 5 gallon bucket of it it is. As far as the trucking to a refinery eating any potential profits from refining the blacksands lets look at my numbers because that is exactly what I will be doing. Based on the various assays I have had done the average grade of my blacksands is 1644 grams per ton gold plus silver values of 103 grams per ton.That is 53 ounces gold and 3.3 ounces silver per ton. I will be shipping the sands to a refinery in Trail which is about 230 miles from my claims. I got a quote for trucking a tandem dump and pup trailer load of this material which came in at $1800. per load. Refining cost are $300 per ton.The load will be 30 tons each.Cost then are 30x$300 =$9,000. plus the trucking $1800 dfor total cost of $10800 per load. Now lets look at gross proceeds. Refinery tells me to expect a minimum 85% recovery of assayed values [they never get 100%] so the numbers are this. 53 x $1600 =$84,800 per ton 3.3 x $30. = $99 per ton .
    So gold and silver gross per ton value $84,899.00 x 30 ton per load = $2,546,970.00 X 85% =$2,164,924.50 minus cost of shipping and refining of $10,800 =$2,154,124.50 . gross profit per truck load of blacksands. That is worth fussing over. Based on recovery of blacksands at my mine I will have a load a month to send to refinery. This revenue is almost equivelant to the proceeds from the coarse gold mined on my claims. Below is a picture of the gold I recovered from just twenty pounds of my concentrates using mercury. It is only about 25% of contained assay values but it proves that invisible micron gold can add up to very visible profits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amalgam gold 5 gram.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	741716
    Fullpan, Goodyguy, MrLee and 3 others like this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    WOW - I learned something new today - thnks, Ayeyou. Does your refinery have a min. wt. limit? Also can you briefly
    describe their recovery process?
    Last edited by Fullpan; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:03 PM.

us
    Confused

Feb 2013
    Northern Ca
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Holy hell, what a good post. Can't believe the amount of bs Ive tossed out, time to save it up

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    5406 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
    Holy hell, what a good post. Can't believe the amount of bs Ive tossed out, time to save it up
    I've tossed out a lot of bs in my day too
    kuger and GoldpannerDave like this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    I've tossed out a lot of bs in my day too
    HAHA!
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    May 2012
    Kent, Wa.
    140 times
    Prospecting
    Hogwash.
    Whats washing the pig got to do with it?

(Sorry couldnt help myself) Tee hee hee!

us
    Sep 2012
    Fruitland,ID
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
    85 times
    Prospecting
    wow those are some nice numbers

us
    Nov 2009
    Eugene Oregon
    Whites GMT
    143 times
    Prospecting
    Well I found this some time ago when trying to research potential BS values. Without paying the assay fee of course. Lets see if this works... OK seems to be working for now.

Taken from: (source)

Bulletin - Google Books

It goes on with a few more pages like this..
    Then there are a few pages like this..

And continues on until page 164..
    If you use the link at the top of this post it takes you to Google books where the text is more legible.
    The first page looks like this and the material relevant to this thread begins on page 150 as shown above.
    Funny thing is I posted this link in it's own thread a couple weeks ago and hardly anyone noticed as there was little discussion.
    Anyway big thanks to all who have contributed to this black sand thread, especially the pros thanks for keeping the dream alive!

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6671 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    What else could be done with black sand? First extract every trace of gold out of it, box it up with a funnel and send it to current administration with a note telling them where to pound it!
    What ever you do with it just get all the gold out of it......
    kuger likes this.
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links