Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The wife wants to go up to Moat moutain to look for smokey quartz and Topaz, I was doing some research on it and was looking at pictures people took of the hike into the collecting site. There is a dry creek, or more a run off from the mountain you have to cross on the way to the collecting site.

I was wondering what the rules are about prospecting in a dry stream bed in the WMNF? Are you allowed to dig around the rocks so you could dry pan or are you only allowed to pick up things from the surface? It looks like a nice place

2012-august-13-122_zps72f41502.jpg

Upvote 0

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
The NF here in NC allows prospecting with a pan and #2 shovel only. Although technically you still cant remove anything so go figure. Call the ranger station.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if I may have answered my question, it sounds like you can only pan in active stream channels so seasonal streams may not be allowed.

Gold panning for recreational purposes is allowed within active stream channels,
provided due care is taken to protect water quality and aquatic habitat. Small trowels or
similar digging tools for scooping sediment into the pan are allowed.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would it be considered "active" if you danced a little jig or did some jumping jacks in that streambed?

On a little more serious note, as long as you weren't doing any serious digging I doubt there'd be any trouble if you collected a few pans or a bucket "from the surface" of a intermittently active channel.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am practicing dry panning and if no one is around once I fill the hole back in they won't be able to tell I was there :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread