Dumb Question from Newbie?

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
This may be unbelievably dumb, but im new to treasure hunting and I want to dabble in a little bit of everything (detecting, collecting, dredging, antiquing)...but my question is would it be possible to use a wet/dry power vac as a dredge? Im only 16 and likemmost 16 year old, strapped for cash. So would this be possible? Has anyone tried this? this may be dumb but i thought id ask anyway because if i dont ask ill never know. Thanks
PAyoungin

Upvote 0

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
It could work, but I think you'd run into a couple problems using one as a dredge, plus the risk of electrocuting yourself... On the other hand, if you have power, you might want to try the vac for cleaning out cracks in the bedrock up on the bank. Lots of gold to be had up out of the water as well.

If you really want to try dredging on the cheap, maybe a gravity dredge would be an option. If you've ever siphoned gas, or water out of a fishtank, etc, you get the idea. There are some plans and info linked under gravity dredges

Another option is to build your own. Dredges are pretty simple once you get the principle. A pump, a sluice (even homemade), an innner tube, some hoses and a few plumbing fittings could get you started in the right direction.

Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thanks i appreciate the help, and i think im going to try out those plans. You wouldnt happen to know if there is some if any gold known to be found in central PA? I have never really heard of anyone finding anything.Thanks
PAyoungin

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, check with your state mining division. For equipmenmt, type in various versions of "home made Gold dredging equipment" on Google. You will be surprised in what will appear and from sites. Darn good Gold recovery advice., including in here.

Exmple type "Home constructed Drywasher powered by a Leaf Blower". This iwil get you many pages of data.

Tropical Tramp

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
hey PA i thought of doing the same a few years ago using the biggest sears wetvac they had and using a high watt power inverter installed on my atv. trouble is, is that you cant have a suction hose that is very long or youll get plugups.but itwould be neat for crevicing.use a long heavy gauge electrical cord. minimum of 12 gauge wire with ground...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PAyoungin said:
Thanks i appreciate the help, and i think im going to try out those plans. You wouldnt happen to know if there is some if any gold known to be found in central PA? I have never really heard of anyone finding anything.Thanks
PAyoungin

Hello again ;D

First, I have a list somewhere of sites, If I can find it, I'll PM you a list.
My memory is Lacking when I need to Think Quick, but always comes back later :P Must be old age ;D

The Swatara Creek & all the Tributaries, that reach the Susquehanna
like Fishing Creek etc. Have some Gold. Mainly Flower gold and small pickers..
Out in Summit Station & Lake Wynona the creeks have produced gold,
mainly Flower Gold.

An Elderly Gentleman told me years ago they started finding gold in the Creek that Feeds Sweet arrow Lake from the Lake road side.
But it wasn't enough at the days prices, to make it worth their while to extract it.

I have done a little Panning in Swatara State park, But not even a speck was found. (Swatara is great for Fossils though)

This is a ways off yet, But will be well worth attending.
Put it on your Calendar.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,50494.0.html

You may want to watch the EVENTS Forum for other PA Events.

A good site for PA Gold info http://www.pa-gold.com/msgboard/index.php

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Are you following me? haha :D
Yea the Swatty is right near my house and it is pretty dirty but maybe. The creek leading into and out of the Lake I thought might be useful. Thanks again, and Ill prolly say that again later.
PAyoungin

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Memory popped Back in.

So I Checked the list,
there is Nothing else in our area to add at this time.

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
PA,

I've seen a backpack WD vacuum that you can build or buy. It uses a leave blower motor to do the sucking. I'll have to do some digging for the drawings..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread