Trouble at East Fork from the homeless/forest trashers today. Livid.

GoldHunter24k

Nov 9, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So my girlfriend and I randomly decided to go up to Heaton Flats this morning because we had to make a few stops along the way.

We were digging about 500ft below the campground and for about an hour when I noticed a figure standing at the top of the hill staring down at us. I didn't think anything of it when I glanced up and saw he was gone but when I walked up to where my girl was digging I noticed a figure hunched behind a rock at the top of that cliff right before the campsites and what looked like binoculars. Now having years of experience dealing with these types of people, I knew he was up to no good. My girl had been digging which involved a lot of bending over and I noticed that the bugger was looking down at my girl with binoculars just barely visible.

Now I won't have any of that, so I marched up to where the guy was hiding and I noticed they have a huge camp with 4 tents hidden to the left of where the bathrooms are at heaton. They are hiding in those woods and when I walked up I saw trash and crap was everywhere. These guys clearly have been there for months. You can't see the campsite and you would never know it was there unless you walked those tiny trails that leads to the edge where the campsites are. So as I approached I was hesitant because I thought it was just one random guy up there but when I noticed 4 tents there I stayed at the edge of the camp and called out "Hey guy with the binoculars" He replied "yea" Then I told him to "come here" in a stern voice and he came into view but stayed at the other end of the campsite. I told him he was creeping my girl out and he said he was "looking for his friend" well bullshit. You don't stare with binoculars at one spot if you're "looking for your friend." I told him he was making us uncomfortable and he just said "well i don't f-ing care." Big mistake buddy. I am not an enemy you want to have and now you and all your friends are on my bad list.

So I walked back down to the dig the the a-hole stood up on a rock and proceeded to stare down at us with the binoculars making it very obvious. Then his friends came out of their shanty tents and one took his shirt off and they were just standing up there staring down at us. If my girl wasn't there, they would have had another thing coming but out of respect and safety of my girlfriend we decided to pack up. She didn't feel comfortable being there anymore and is now saying that she doesn't think she wants to go back.

I can't express how angry I am that I was run out of the mountains by these shitbags and retaliation is being planned.

So as a warning to watch out for that spot if you don't want to have your day ruined. We only got to dig for about an hour when we were pretty much forced to leave. I will never be scared off a mountain and these guys have made the worst kind of enemy.

This tent site is right before the Heaton Flat campsites on the left. There are small trails that lead to the edge. The tents are completely invisible from any other direction until you walk those trails to see it. Probably how they have eluded the forestry for so long. Why can't they actually do their jobs and get rid of these people and leave us law abiding citizens alone.

Anyway this whole experience has put a bad taste in my mouth about the East Fork and I don't think i'll go back without my Smith and Wesson .40c. Really sucks that we can't feel safe in such a peaceful place. What a shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neo Tokyo, it worked pretty good I got about 4 feet of head off the pump on a 50 foot pool hose.
I made my high banker out of a Hopper on a rolling fertilizer distributor.
HFhighbanker1-08-03.jpg
photo (1).JPG
We worked the section of bank about 4 feet above the river, which is the north side, a few hundred yards from the Follows Camp entrance.
We got about a half a gram for two-day's work. There was already a rock damn about 3 feet high near the bank, that's where I put my flume.
Flume2.jpg FlumeanWheel1.jpg
Because it did under shot waterwheel it needed the water force to come from a downward angle.
Once we got that running we just let it run for 24 hours. That's when the pump drive separated from the chain drive.
We felt it was a good test. It ran water in my Keene 52A very well.
Because of logistics and too much overtime I never got back to finishing a second prototype.
Also Follows Camp Closed down and I wasn't sure if I could use it outside of private property on the river.
To set up and deploy it took almost an hour and a half, and that's if I didn't have to build a rock damn.
That combined with the new orientation of the river, because of the 2005 flooding, most of the rock dams were washed away.

Troy, I keep telling people there's still gold around the Heaton Flats Bend and I still find it. I'm glad you got a chance to get yours.
It doesn't say "No camping in parking lot" it doesn't say "parking lot limited to 14 days". There are no signs.
If they challenge you just be nice, let them know you aren't indigent, or homeless.
That you have your Annual Adventure Pass, or equivalent.
That you plan on enjoying the National Forest.
Just like any other legal American Citizen.
Here here is an excerpt from an earlier post.

<While I was mining Ann was challenged at the Coach.
I had the front wheels raise on blocks to level it.
The Forest Fed said we "looked" like we were "camping" in the lot, and he could cite us for that.
She challenged him and asked where are the signs that say "No Overnight Parking or Camping".
That she is a disabled Ex-Federal Agent and we have a Life time Federal Land Pass in our windshield, which says we have the RIGHT to be on Federal land. So how can we be in violation? And if we were, what about the other half dozen vehicles that are here, that people are sleeping in after enjoying this great land of ours today. Some who you know, who have been here a week or more. We came up here mid week to enjoy 3 days of peace and quite while my husband does some legal prospecting, without the weekend crowds. This is harassment, If we are in violation you have to cite me or you are in violation of not doing your duty. So what is it? You need to go back to law school and read the US Constitution son. I was camping here from before you were born. She didn't see a tail between his legs, but he left without another word, she said.>

It's from the thread "East Fork Nov 13th" page 3.
I will camp there every time I go there, in the parking lot, or at the dig, wherever it is along the river, and I'm prepared to challenge their challenge.
I hate bullies, especially if it's misguided authority figures. But like Patrick Swayze said in roadhouse" just be nice".
I want you to camp in the parking lot and I hope I can camp by you if I can get up there too.
I got my exhaust manifold for my coach repaired, and I'm putting it all back together now.
If all goes well I should be able to start the engine Wednesday or Thursday before New Year's.

Last edited:

papasangel

Dec 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this forum but I do have a bit of a caution for you about taking your gun next time. It is against the law to "brandish" a gun even if it is unloaded to scare someone off from your campsite. If you are a CCW check the law in the area you camp in to find out the rules for carrying in parks etc. Second you have a valid complaint against the group itself. I would advise you to file a formal complaint with the forestry department and an incident report. It is against the law to intimidate others and what they were doing obviously intimidated your girlfriend. Why should you have to leave your camp because of bad neighbors. I am not trying to be a know it all but I am a CCW in the state of North Carolina and will have my actual license in hand shortley. We also run a gunshop. Just thought you should be warned so you don't get into trouble. Meanwhile happy prospecting and Merry Christmas.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this forum but I do have a bit of a caution for you about taking your gun next time. It is against the law to "brandish" a gun even if it is unloaded to scare someone off from your campsite. If you are a CCW check the law in the area you camp in to find out the rules for carrying in parks etc. Second you have a valid complaint against the group itself. I would advise you to file a formal complaint with the forestry department and an incident report. It is against the law to intimidate others and what they were doing obviously intimidated your girlfriend. Why should you have to leave your camp because of bad neighbors. I am not trying to be a know it all but I am a CCW in the state of North Carolina and will have my actual license in hand shortley. We also run a gunshop. Just thought you should be warned so you don't get into trouble. Meanwhile happy prospecting and Merry Christmas.

Hey Papa'sangels, welcome to the board.
Sounds like good advice.
I'm sure you must've been following this board pretty good to give this kind of advice. It's not really easy getting a concealed weapon permit in this state. That doesn't stop a lot of the low life in this state from packing. When it comes to being out in the open, I have learned to expect the unexpected. The place we're talking about is the Sheep Mountain wilderness area, 27 miles up the road from the ranger station. No cell phone, closest landline is 2 miles from the parking lot, farther if you are up River. It's easy to get intimidated if you're outnumbered out there. A man alone is easy prey. I like to play" friendly" when it gets too tense. Right up until the point I know it won't be friendly anymore. With any luck I'll be close enough and near the leader and catch them off guard. I definitely like to be out there with a friend or two or three. Since I joined this board I think that will happen more often now. I'm looking forward to going mining with several of the members on this board, in this area. I'm out there I don't want no trouble, and I know that they won't want trouble from me, but the problem is they won't know that until they have it. Like in a game of poker you never show your hand until you're called. And in the context that we're talking about, there is no shame in folding, and leaving the table.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Papa'sangels, welcome to the board.
Sounds like good advice.
I'm sure you must've been following this board pretty good to give this kind of advice. It's not really easy getting a concealed weapon permit in this state. That doesn't stop a lot of the low life in this state from packing. When it comes to being out in the open, I have learned to expect the unexpected. The place we're talking about is the Sheep Mountain wilderness area, 27 miles up the road from the ranger station. No cell phone, closest landline is 2 miles from the parking lot, farther if you are up River. It's easy to get intimidated if you're outnumbered out there. A man alone is easy prey. I like to play" friendly" when it gets too tense. Right up until the point I know it won't be friendly anymore. With any luck I'll be close enough and near the leader and catch them off guard. I definitely like to be out there with a friend or two or three. Since I joined this board I think that will happen more often now. I'm looking forward to going mining with several of the members on this board, in this area. I'm out there I don't want no trouble, and I know that they won't want trouble from me, but the problem is they won't know that until they have it. Like in a game of poker you never show your hand until you're called. And in the context that we're talking about, there is no shame in folding, and leaving the table.

:notworthy: Absolutely! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread