Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Glacial gold travel mapping

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    Saint Paul, MN
    minelab explorer whites dfx garrett ace 250
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Glacial gold travel mapping

There was a group of us here in minnesota that were discussing if it was possible to do a map of locations gold has been found across minnesota and wisconsin and try to figure pay streaks and concentrations and distance traveled. Have any groups done anything similar and would it be possible? We're not known in this part of the country for gold and any sharing of info helps us build a better understanding of a great hobby for others in our area and helps build the future of prospecting. Thanks! Matt.

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois (STL area)
    Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Matt, sounds like a killer project for a club to participate in. I would like to see something like this in Illinois and Indiana, Ohio as well. I think extensive studies of old USGS reports can help too. Maybe our chapter club and your group can work together? I just became president of the St. Louis (Gateway) chapter of the GPAA. We could possibly make this a club project if there are members interested in doing the research. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Jim
    Duppstadt likes this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1440 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Robber glaciers are famous for gouging up gold and gems from rich pay and redepositing them in strange places. If and when you're able to find where glaciers dumped their payloads you'll sure have fun. Good luck with your project.

All the best,

Lanny
    LinkHylian and Duppstadt like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink View Post
    There was a group of us here in minnesota that were discussing if it was possible to do a map of locations gold has been found across minnesota and wisconsin and try to figure pay streaks and concentrations and distance traveled. Have any groups done anything similar and would it be possible? We're not known in this part of the country for gold and any sharing of info helps us build a better understanding of a great hobby for others in our area and helps build the future of prospecting. Thanks! Matt.
    Matt,

I have 7 sheets of glacial gold and other mineral deposit diagrams that I picked up at the Gold Show in Dayton Ohio back in October from the Greenbush Prospectors of Wisconsin booth.
    Pm me your street address and I'll mail you copies.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Prospecting P. likes this.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    624 times
    One place I would start looking is where are the gravel pits located at. Most the gravel pits in the north country were deposited by glaciers. Check out the deposits and you will find quarts and other minerals associated with gold. That would be a worth while club project that could maybe even help raise some funds for your club or a partnership of clubs by selling your finds or not. Any way good idea and good luck!

B H Prospector

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois (STL area)
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Matt,

I have 7 sheets of glacial gold and other mineral deposit diagrams that I picked up at the Gold Show in Dayton Ohio back in October from the Greenbush Prospectors of Wisconsin booth.
    Pm me your address and I'll send you copies.
    GG~
    GG, I'd be interested in copies too if you don't mind. Let me know what the postage is and I'll cover it. Do you have any that cover other states? IN, IL?

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Barndawg View Post
    GG, I'd be interested in copies too if you don't mind. Let me know what the postage is and I'll cover it. Do you have any that cover other states? IN, IL?
    I do but I let my brother borrow them and he lives an hour from me. I'll get them next time I visit.
    Do you have Chuck Lassiter's book "Midwest Gold Prospecting"? Any prospectors In glacial drift country should have it.
    Along with: "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana" Free on PDF file.... sssh Click image for larger version. 

Name:	telephone_shhh.GIF.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	718561 It's the out of print hard to find original 1905 version!

Below are some glacial gold maps and info from Chuck's website:

OHIO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

WISCONSIN

MICHIGAN

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Duppstadt and sidvail like this.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Dec 2012
    Saint Paul, MN
    42 times
    I wish minnesota was on that list..most known gold spots in minnesota are hush hush closely guarded secrets but a few of us share info if anyone has facebook check out http://www.facebook.com/groups/MNGold/
    Last edited by mattfink; Feb 21, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Dec 2012
    1 times
    Sounds like a good idea. This summer we will go around and check out some areas out and post our findings here.
    Duppstadt likes this.

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois (STL area)
    36 times
    Prospecting
    I do but I let my brother borrow them and he lives an hour from me. I'll get them next time I visit.
    Do you have Chuck Lassiter's book "Midwest Gold Prospecting"? Any prospectors In glacial drift country should have it.
    Along with: "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana" Free on PDF file.... sssh Click image for larger version. 

Name:	telephone_shhh.GIF.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	718561 It's the out of print hard to find original 1905 version!

Below are some glacial gold maps and info from Chuck's website:

OHIO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

WISCONSIN

MICHIGAN

GG~

Yes, my book should be in the mail Monday. I've been wanting to order it for some time now. I've also read the entire web site as well. Hope there's a lot more infoin his book that isn't on the site.

us
    Link's Clone

Dec 2012
    WA State
    Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
    103 times
    Prospecting
    Damn nice of you Sir, your screen name certainly fits!!!
    Matt,

Pm me your street address and I'll mail you copies.

GG~
    mattfink likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Saint Paul, MN
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfink View Post
    this idea came about because the gpaa minning guide offers little to no info on minnesota and wisconsin, I guess they don't concern themselves about states that don't have claims even though they have paying members in these states. So the more info we can accumulate the better. I for one know its out there and would like to see reports of areas gold has been found (not exact spots keep that a secret if you want) I can verify the gold at Nugget lake county park in pierce county wi. and have found good gold in a bloomington mn. creek and will be looking for more spots this summer
    Delizioso likes this.

us
    The Beard "WP"

Feb 2012
    North West Iowa
    Bounty Hunter
    261 times
    Here in Iowa we have flour gold through out the central and western part of the state. If I could map where these deposits were up stream that would be wonderful.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

us
    Jun 2009
    Missouri
    7 times
    Don't forget Missouri (my area is in NW) and NE Kansas. Ive found real good gold here as it seems the Glaciers piled up the gravel here good. As you travel farther east and north it thins out quite a bit until the Chariton River Valley. Also if you follow the Missouri river and check creeks just to the north youll do good.
    arnofarrell likes this.

us
    Sep 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Gold
    hey matt, rick here. lol i had the same idea when i first started...great minds think alike. anyways i have a sportsmans atlas ive been highlighting the points of rivers ive tried ever sense ive started just to map it out and follow the gold. if you find anymore maps like USGS maps on the subject, let me know. see you next month

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors