Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 100 miles north of the arctic circle, that's less than 40 miles further north than where I'll be when I head home for the summer. I wonder if the mine in the video is in the Chandalar mining district?

Anvil creek is not to far north of Nome, I'd say less than 40 miles. Ruby is south and east of Nome a ways. The others are much further inland than Nome. Wiseman nuggets were found closer to Fairbanks along with the Tolovona areas nuggets. I would say the Anvil creek area is in the Nome mining district.

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oregon

Nice gold there. I swear I saw an alien face looking at me from the big nug in pic 2. Look close. Squinting eye on the right, eye socket for left, then a nose and the small mouth. Not a grey but a mr gold. Lol

"GarretDiggingAZ"
I see what you see!!! ;-)
Any good gold coming out of AZ?!?
I'd like to get down there and walk some treasure trails!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Oregon,
I finally ran my last 40 gallons of dirt. This pic shows two different totals. Left side was from 14 gallons one day. The right side is from the 40 gals.
My buddy James took home his share and I'm thinking his was about the same. Looking forward to hitting this spot again in about two weeks.

Attachments

• image-73606157.jpg
    image-73606157.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 100

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
wow ~~ i cannot wait to show the hubs !~ Thanks for sharing !! :-)

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy to show it. Hoping for more of coarse. If ya get a chance to get out here. I'd be able to give the nickel tour.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these days I'll have a nice little nuggy to share with y'all, until then I'll keep sharing others pics of some beautiful so cal gold.

Attachments

• image-2536677824.jpg
    image-2536677824.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-652381049.jpg
    image-652381049.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice drywallman! Beautiful and full of gold.
Hey Lanny. Not sure if Alberta is like Anchorage but one thing you could count on was a severe dump of snow around Easter (4/20). Maybe in your neck of the woods not so much? I remember that from Memorial day thru Labor day it was go go go. Anything after Oct 1 was full blown winter time potential. What's your season?

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice drywallman! Beautiful and full of gold. Hey Lanny. Not sure if Alberta is like Anchorage but one thing you could count on was a severe dump of snow around Easter (4/20). Maybe in your neck of the woods not so much? I remember that from Memorial day thru Labor day it was go go go. Anything after Oct 1 was full blown winter time potential. What's your season?

Sounds pretty similar all right. Snow is a stubborn animal at these latitudes. It just doesn't know when to quit, and then it makes brief appearances basically whenever it wants to. The only good thing about the summer months is that any snow that dares show its face has a very short life expectancy.

The old joke is that we get eight months of winter and four months of late fall, or eight months of winter and four months of unsettled. Either way, the weather pretty much determines where and when I'm able to chase the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Metal Detecting For Gold

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice drywallman! Beautiful and full of gold.
Hey Lanny. Not sure if Alberta is like Anchorage but one thing you could count on was a severe dump of snow around Easter (4/20). Maybe in your neck of the woods not so much? I remember that from Memorial day thru Labor day it was go go go. Anything after Oct 1 was full blown winter time potential. What's your season?

Oh know you said Easter snow! Now we are gonna get it. So far we are doing pretty well. Daylight is gaining fast and day time temps are hitting the mid 30's! Three or four weeks and I'll get to dig! And you are right rest all winter, once Memorial Day hits it's go till Labor Day. After that I get some more time outside finishing out the duck hunting season till Halloween. I take it your not in anchorage anymore?

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tree!

Jan 16, 2013
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just because it was asked, and there hasn't been much activity...
Here's a picture of a specimen in greenstone, I believe, that I found detecting discarded overburden. It weighs 48 grains and this photo is through a loupe.

Attachments

• image-1877657227.jpg
    image-1877657227.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never seen one like that before!

It's incredible the combinations gold arrives with when Mother Nature's finished mixing a batch.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, I was thinking. I mean, if that little nugget from Alaska is only number 25 on their all time list of the biggest, it would make sense for them to donate that little nugget to a worthy cause where it could be, shall I say, more appreciated.

For instance, someone like me, maybe I could be the worthy cause? Then I could build a shrine or maybe a museum for that tiny #25 nugget, and then I'll make it the number one nugget in my collection. That way, it would be a special, sassy nugget, instead of merely lowly number 25.

Well, whatever.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread