Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, as per your request here's two pictures of the nugget....Again your kind comments are appreciated...

Nug40 2.JPG Nug40 4.JPG

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's an absolutely gorgeous nugget!

It was posted over on the metal detecting forum.

It definitely qualifies for a place of honor on this thread.

North American born and bred! Genuine sassy gold!!

Before I post the picture, here's the permission from Oakview2: "Lanny, I would be honored to have you use it."

adam
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:57 PM
A week ago today boulder dash and I were doing a little beeping to take a break from dry washing...
I managed to swing over this 2.4 Ounce monster nugget
smile.png

DSC07131_zps69941d74.jpg

During the 4 day trip we also managed to find a few pickers, and pulled over an ounce of gold from the dry washer... We ran 265 buckets !

DSC07134_zps6bbfd8ee.jpg

Over an ounce of fines in the tray..
smile.png

M4H071261_zpsb0f95eff.jpg

Thanks for another epic trip Boulder dash !!

All the best, and thanks for letting me post your find,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me clarify, not my pieces, but well worth sharing. The guys that found this are some of the hardest working miners out there and their dig sites are legendary.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me clarify, not my pieces, but well worth sharing. The guys that found this are some of the hardest working miners out there and their dig sites are legendary.

Sorry,

My misunderstanding.

Moreover, thanks for clarifying, and thanks for getting the necessary permission to post.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone finding big gold out there with pictures to post?

Feel free!!

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-1037154347.jpg

Not big but still purty I think. My gold from Saturday... 0.37grams

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nuggets_01.jpg
My buddy was out bear hunting in Alaska. He was hiking beside a small stream and stopped to take a couple of pictures of the salmon swimming upstream to spawn.
He saw a glimmer in the water and bent down and picked up the nugget on the left (38.8 grams). He kicked rocks around on the shore for about an hour and found the second nugget (40.15 grams). Since he'd found one for himself and one for his wife, he went back to hunting (he's NOT a prospector). When he returned to Houston, he walked into my office, dropped them in my palm, and showed me exactly where they came from, on Google Earth. Now I'm trying to get up there with my metal detector and some hand tools to file a claim or two. The research that I've done, shows that there has never been a claim filed within 20 miles of this location. The only access is by bush plane.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree! That's a great amount for a day trip. Best ever at the site for you? How much dirt did you move to get it?
For me that's pretty good production but not my best. That trip was averaging about .12g per hour and I moved about 1/2 yard I'd say in three hours. One time last winter, about a mile upstream in the same creek, I hit a honey hole about twice as productive...got almost a gram in two trips of two hours each. That was pretty thrilling, especially because it was right here in town!

Still, I'm thrilled with how Saturday went, I had a great time and got good gold too :-D

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1000690
My buddy was out bear hunting in Alaska. He was hiking beside a small stream and stopped to take a couple of pictures of the salmon swimming upstream to spawn.
He saw a glimmer in the water and bent down and picked up the nugget on the left (38.8 grams). He kicked rocks around on the shore for about an hour and found the second nugget (40.15 grams). Since he'd found one for himself and one for his wife, he went back to hunting (he's NOT a prospector). When he returned to Houston, he walked into my office, dropped them in my palm, and showed me exactly where they came from, on Google Earth. Now I'm trying to get up there with my metal detector and some hand tools to file a claim or two. The research that I've done, shows that there has never been a claim filed within 20 miles of this location. The only access is by bush plane.

All I can say is, take me with you!

Fantastic finds for a bear hunter.

All the best as you try to get to the region to detect some sassy nuggets!

Keep us posted, and when you find some of those Alaskan beauties, post some pictures on this thread please.

All the best,

Lanny

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy threads like this, and especially hearing from the people that contribute to them,
That table covered with gold is a sight to behold,
but….
I did count at least two and a half million dollars worth of heavy equipment that was used, and that was just the video alone...
Also that mine deep enough to drive an earth mover through would have cost another million or two…
They are just living their dreams, a mortgage company would have made so much more money…
Forgive me for being pragmatic .

Then again, there are not to many owners of mortgage companies living their dream…...

Cmon, one of you guys could have come up with that...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4.22 oz found with 14" DD at approximately 18 inches at Notellie Creek!

I'm posting this for a great guy I met a couple of summers ago.

Genuine North American Placer nugget!

All the best,

Lanny

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's an absolutely gorgeous nugget! It was posted over on the metal detecting forum. It definitely qualifies for a place of honor on this thread. North American born and bred! Genuine sassy gold!! Before I post the picture, here's the permission from Oakview2: "Lanny, I would be honored to have you use it." All the best, and thanks for letting me post your find, Lanny http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html
I got to meet one of the guys that was along on the trip. He was there for a couple days and detected some gold as well as copper. He's been helping me in trying to get my first nugget. Detecting wise. Lol. So I visited with him after his outing and showed what he found. Then he told me of his buddies and showed the video if there finds. Funny thing was. My buddy detected the whole area by their work area. They told him where they detected it. Obviously taking a small break from drywashing. My buddy went over that area and just missed it.
So this shows once again that just because somebody detected the area. Signals still get missed. Either due to rushing and not overlapping. Or just not wanting to dig a tone because it's another bullet.

Lanny keep up the good work. We/I enjoy reading plus seeing the pics. I've been away a bit. Kinda hit a wall. So need to get energy back. Hoping to get out in a month or two. Depends on my search of a potential area.

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Oregon gold :-)!!!

Attachments

• image-1713372296.jpg
    image-1713372296.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got to meet one of the guys that was along on the trip. He was there for a couple days and detected some gold as well as copper. He's been helping me in trying to get my first nugget. Detecting wise. Lol. So I visited with him after his outing and showed what he found. Then he told me of his buddies and showed the video if there finds. Funny thing was. My buddy detected the whole area by their work area. They told him where they detected it. Obviously taking a small break from drywashing. My buddy went over that area and just missed it.
So this shows once again that just because somebody detected the area. Signals still get missed. Either due to rushing and not overlapping. Or just not wanting to dig a tone because it's another bullet.

Lanny keep up the good work. We/I enjoy reading plus seeing the pics. I've been away a bit. Kinda hit a wall. So need to get energy back. Hoping to get out in a month or two. Depends on my search of a potential area.

Garret,

Truer words were never spoken. It amazes me how one person can go through a patch of ground and get nothing, and then another person comes along and hits a nice nugget in the same dirt!

Some of it has to do with equipment, some has to do with experience, and some of it has to do with technique and dedication.

I hit a spot once that had been hammered by several other nugget shooters and all they got were tiny crumbs. I put on a 14" DD, went to deep search mode, slowed down my speed and investigated every tiny break in the threshold; it garnered me a six gram nugget. It was a lot of work, but the gold was there all along.

All the best, and I know you'll get that coil over a nice sassy nugget one day,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garret, Truer words were never spoken. It amazes me how one person can go through a patch of ground and get nothing, and then another person comes along and hits a nice nugget in the same dirt! Some of it has to do with equipment, some has to do with experience, and some of it has to do with technique and dedication. I hit a spot once that had been hammered by several other nugget shooters and all they got were tiny crumbs. I put on a 14" DD, went to deep search mode, slowed down my speed and investigated every tiny break in the threshold; it garnered me a six gram nugget. It was a lot of work, but the gold was there all along. All the best, and I know you'll get that coil over a nice sassy nugget one day, Lanny
This week I'll be going north again to visit doctors and I'm going to hit an abandoned mine and surrounding area. Depending on heat and such. My buddy up in the area pointed me to a spot and he'd found a nugget near there. So who knows? I know I've got to be swinging to find one. So hopefully my bday present will come by 2 to 3 days later.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garret,

All the best to you, and I hope you find a nice one or two!

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread