Sudan gold

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Holy crud that's not a nugget it's a boulder. And they're chiseling it apart to go splitzys with it ?? One mans junk another's treasure?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jebus! Would ya look at the size of THOSE nuggets! :o :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idiots lost half the value chomping it for melt value, when as a specimen it would have brought a lot more.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure those are natural nuggets. I'd have to hold one to be sure.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was told they work in groups and then split what they find. Where they live, I guess the best way to get your pay is to sell quick, and get quick. If they shipped it as a massive nugget, they'd probably never see a penny (too many sticky fingers along the way), so it's more of a take the money and run attitude.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,thats what I have heard too Lanny.I also heard that hundreds of detectors(Minelabs)were bought by "druglord types",and hostages are actually forced at gunpoint to detect and of course turn over their finds?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard from a Minelab dealer there was a shortage of the gpx 5000's in the States, they were all going to Africa and South America and fetching a premium.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all let me thank you kuger for driving attention to what is going in Sudan in regards of gold prospecting. Secondly there is no such a thing "druglord types" or (Lords) of any type for that matter. I really don't know who told you that story , or may be you're trying to spice things up ;) The fact is the recent (new) gold rush in Sudan started around 2008 - I say new because there were other gold rush events in the past one was in the 80's years- that one was only with hand pans , no metal detectors were used because they didn't (the prospectors) know about them. Advancement in Metal detection made it easier for any one who has the money to buy and go metal detect. It's simply that. I can understand why most Western citizens and particularly (Americans) have wrong misconceptions about Africa in general and especially Sudan. Every western media story I learn of (be it in Mass media or online) has fake reports of a hell place called Sudan. Now let me clear a few things a head of the way. I have no intention to offend or spread hatred against any party ,so to speak. I live in Sudan and I am an Artisanal Small Miner (ASM) as we are called.
Working in the field I can assure you that that out there in My country the prospectors work in groups, they divide the work between them. And the rewards they may gain. So for example if there is a group heading to the fields to detect , the owner of the metal detector gets 1/3 of the share , the truck/auto/car owner gets 1/3 , the workers who use the metal detector and dig the finds get 1/3. Any expenses and rewards are shared in equal , if the owner of the metal detector happens to be the truck/car owner his share increases obviously. No one has to be forced to work , they all work like a team, living together sharing place of sleep, food water and other supplies and of course the Gold. NO Guns , none nada. Only if they try to protect themselves from wild life threats (may be foxes or wolfs but these animal predators are getting rare to be found lately) . How I know all this ? I am a metal detector my self, now before I get bashed on or worst get banned for saying such things here - I hope not-
I work by my self and have few partners who work instead of me if I am out of the fields for whatever reason, I trust them, so if they find any thing they will bring me my share.
The thing kuger referring to is reallly happening but not in the Sudan, these things are common in other neighboring African countries such as Congo for example. In Sudan particularly in Northern and Eastern parts (states) where the major gold findings are , there is No incedents like that. People there collaborate in a friendly business like way.

Just a little clarification, and may update that if I feel necessary.

Cheers

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Gelmac sounds exciting my man! Good luck out there! The thought of a communal mining brotherhood like you described is incredibly enticing. Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the world, gotta make do with friends and flour gold. I'm positive everyone here is ecstatic to hear Sudan is peaceably recovering its resources. All the best!

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
improvmechanic, thanks for understanding the situation. Yes , prospectors work in like a mining brotherhood if you prefer to call them like that. They even are forming Small Societies to deal with the local authorities if they need any thing, like helping solve any disputes that may occur. It is much like the prospecting Associations/Societies that is found in North America (e.g GPAA) , albeit at a smaller simpler level.

As for discovery Channel (I guess that what you mean, right?) then I think the authorities wont deny them working in Sudan, the only thing I am concerned with is, can they give a real documentation story without any manipulation of the facts on the land or spicing things up just to sell it to their audiences?

May be they can , who knows.

Cheers

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to kuger, not trying to hijack your thread, but you can read my own started thread titled : Gold Rush in Northern Sudan. I think it seems more relevant to yours , although it is told in a different perspective.

Thanks for luring me to do the research in order to post in the thread. LOL

Cheers

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jebus! Would ya look at the size of THOSE nuggets! :o :laughing7:

There were bigger than those in the video , unfortunately I have no pictures of them nor they are documented by video cameras they go in a route like this :smashed/crushed/melted and transformed into Gold Bars, eventually ending in Dubai gold market. Poor gold nuggets :( they don't get a chance to glorify the articles in the press or the heated comments in youtube and the likes.

One of these Vanished nuggets was said had weighted a whopping 60 Kilos :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sudan is a VAST country , even after the departure of the South and forming an independent state. Sad incident by the way. The gold fields are located in the Far north and east of the country where there is no wars or disputes whatever that happens to be.

Less and less gold nuggets are found because the gold fields where the first rush took place are worked really hard by UN-experienced prospectors, they use heavy machinery e.g motor graders, Dozers, even tractors (yes the ones that is used in Farms ). They are really putting dirt everywhere which isn't good because that mess things up for an experienced detector that hasn't the chance to get those places. Making things difficult for others. All they care is finding gold , it feels like crazy watching all these hoards of detectorists in large numbers in the desert. :)

Last edited:

tmcmark

Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone

I need some help, I am British and temporarily moving to Sudan, Specifically for a GOLD adventure!

I will include a little information which might help regarding your valued and needed input.

I have hundreds of Sudanese friends and several officials who treat me as family,
and I have no problem obtaining permissions and licences in several states. I have
been several times and been welcomed with opened arms on each occasion.
I have no fear or paranoia whatsoever regarding my safety and I never have.

I will be working together with 3 of my very closes friends of 20 years who are Sudanese
and also several of each of there family members as local labour, on a commission basis

My friends have not been a part of the gold rush there in anyway, though they are up
for a good adventure.

I would much appreciate any input regarding where should I begin!!!

I was considering 3 minelab 5000 and 3 keane 151 drywashers and 3 spiral wheels
and starting to explore in the north where 2 of my friends are from.
I have a $25,000 budget for equipment, to start the adventure.

Im a complete newby and any input is appreciated

Thanks in advance
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread