Can I use a metal detector to find small gold? To know where to pan?

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have .6 grams of gold and my dads detector wont pick it up when I put it in my hand (Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Pin Pointer)! How big of a piece of gold does it have to be for the average detector to pick it up? Or am I wasting my time with a detector when it comes to dredging or highbanking?

Upvote 0

Ace2010

Sep 22, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a metal detector not a gold detector.Most gold is not big enough to be found with a $5000 gold detector in Alabama.Not many nuggets. Most jewelry gold has other metals in it and can be detected with that type but not nuggets.I'm just a rookie detector so maybe most of these other people here would be more qualified to answer this but I would say here in Alabama you would be waisting your time unless you are at a good swimming hole and find some jewelry or coins.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CP is the gold a single nugget or smaller fines ? as solid much easier to find. Your el cheapo NOT a gold machine sorry,but fun for other things so just enjot it that a way-John

OP
OP
crystalpayne

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do I know if its a gold detector or not, like the description says it can? So when I'm looking at which one to buy what do I look for?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crystal, Goldbug, Whites, Tesoro lobo all are designed for gold , small gold too.Proven track records.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites GMT, Gold Bug Pro, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, probably most popular VLF, Minelab GPX series much pricier Pulse Induction... Good VLF appox 6 to 8 hundred, PI's 2000 to 5000. Don"t know if you are in a area where nuggett shooting is probable. My best advice is to get a good sluice, get out and hit gold bearing areas, inside bends, behind large boulders, hit cracks in exposed bedrock. I would go out and find places to prospect, and use basic tools until your skill level matches your quest for expensive detectors and such... JMHO

Here is a good area to read about detectors and plenty of great nugget finders as well

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't go wrong with that one either, but Trinity AU seems to be finding some VERY VERY small pieces with the Gold Bug Pro...

Here is some pieces he posted on the Rob's Nugget hunting forum. PS, this photo is the property of TrinityAU, Ray Mills and is posted just to illustrate the capabilities of the Gold Bug Pro in the hands of a experienced operator....

index.php

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread