How did you end up catching Gold Fever?

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So this is a little different, but I love this site and I love reading about peoples lives and adventures and relating to the passion you feel about prospecting! Everyone is so supportive and encouraging, I probably would have given up if hadn't been for yall's kind words!

So what was it that gave you gold fever? What made you go out on a limb and try this for yourself?

Gold Heart.jpg Gold Heart.jpg

Above was my first find and It completely had me hooked! :hello2:

Upvote 0

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think mine started about 1958 when I was 7 and saw a vial of gold a family friend had,he had just returned from Alaska. Then having to read Call Of The Wild in school. Then in 1968 seeing another vial a high school buds Dad had gotten on the Beckler river here in Wa. and the dredge he bought and the plans to go the next summer to go get some that never happened, He died that winter. Years of hunting and fishing the hills around here and hearing stories and wondering if this stream had gold? Fast forward 40 years to 2005 and Gold Fever on the tube. 2007 it festered long enough I bought a Garrett Panning Kit and headed to the hills to get some. Took me a year to get my first flake, tiny as it was it was mine! My sister told me the fever was in my blood, that my Great Grand Pa was a miner. He went to Alaska in 1896-7 and with his 2 brothers discovered what was to become the Elamar Copper Mine in Valdez Alaska, and died on his claim in Sawyers Bar Ca. Yup it's in my blood, I inherited it!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CP, - that .6 grams is outstanding for a noob, considering your location!
George "Buzzard" Massey, founder of GPAA, had a low budget TV show, -watched it religiously, in late 70's early 80's. When he brought his dog and pony
Gold Show to Reno and I got a up-close look at the shiny equip., was hooked forsure. Didn't help when he said things like "there's more gold in the Truckee
river (40 miles long - runs thru reno) than in Fort Knox!" Also, "If you find a good location, you can pay for this gizmo in one weekend" - Man was a supreme
salesman. Odd thing is, after many years, I still believe those two statements.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Saw all the old workings along the creeks while backpacking on my way to the high mountain lakes.Would always wonder how much gold was left. Did a little research, dipped a pan and rest was history. Went from panning, to sluicing, to dredging, to claim owner.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got "the fever" Hanging with those guys from Quartzsite and Rich Hill, AZ. That stuff is HIGHLY contagious! Haven't been the same since. TTC

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So this is a little different, but I love this site and I love reading about peoples lives and adventures and relating to the passion you feel about prospecting! Everyone is so supportive and encouraging, I probably would have given up if hadn't been for yall's kind words!

So what was it that gave you gold fever? What made you go out on a limb and try this for yourself?

View attachment 732459 View attachment 732459

Above was my first find and It completely had me hooked! :hello2:

My first gold find back in early 70s was a 14 K wedding band I used for 25 years, but it was too small and I recently sold it, but found a new one that fits[see icon] 40 years of jewelry and scrap was sold also. Still searching when I can. HH boris I saved all the stones.

OP
OP
crystalpayne

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These stories are so amazing, what yall are all telling me is I never stood a chance when I seen that color in the bottom of my pan! I am so hooked and I love reading all of the stories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread