HighBanker Build my 1st...

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided the other day to build me a trommel, now I've never even seen a trommel but I want one. I started getting parts together and suddenly got sidetracked into building a highbanker. This DIY sure does save alot of money, and to me it gives more satisfaction in your gear. Here is what I've got so far. I started out with a pull behind lawnmower/4-wheeler ferterizer spreader (which was broke). I took the plastic hopper off, and the gears off the axle. I then used the frame for the upper end of my highbanker frame. To this frame I attached a 6 foot x 9 inch stainless steel tray for the sluice (I picked this up at the local scrap yard for $17.00, it was brand new). i then found a set of old metal shelves that I was not using, and cut off the frame for the hopper, which just happens to be the hopper from the old spreader. I then used the rest of the shelving for a frame under the sluice, which I welded to the spreader frame. I then welded leg holders to the end of the frame. i then bolted on the lower portion of a set of adjustable crutches for the lower leveling legs. I will layer the bottom of the sluice with v-ribbed rubber matting, $38.00, and then miners moss,(which I had). I am using raised expanded metal for the riffles, small ones at the top end and larger ones on the lower end. (I think, unless someone can tell me a good reason to reverse it and put larger expanded at top and smaller on bottom, like say the larger would break the material up into smaller peices and then hit the smaller expanded??) Anyway I'm using 4 feet of the larger and 2 feet of smaller...I already have the pump from a small dredge that I built...I plan to attach a 10 feet peice of gardenhose to the setup also. I had to cut the tongue of the trailer and reweld it at an angle so I can pull it behind my 4-wheeler without the end of the sluice dragging... all I lack now is attaching the riffles to a frame to secure it to the sluice and the plumbing, and then paint it all up...Below are some pictures so far, I'll post more as I finish it up...NOTE the picture of my pants...beware when welding as I caught my pants on fire and ALMOST did'nt get it out before burning myself really bad!!!!!
Wish me LUCK,
Shawn
I almost forgot to add that I have a 3 foot Angus McKirk sluice that will fit at the end of this ones 6 foot sluice, so I can run 9 feet of sluice..
Tell me what I need to add, change or whatever...Thanks~!

IMG_20130127_140815.jpg IMG_20130127_140835.jpg IMG_20130127_140847.jpg IMG_20130125_155808.jpg

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Sackett, you did a great job, I like it! DIY is my favorite pastime, next to actually prospecting. The sluice you are using sounds similar to the Pop & Son design, which is great for all sizes of gold. Cant wait to see it in action.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are a MacGyver like me.
Nothing better than creating a useful piece of equipment out of an assortment of unrelated items. :icon_thumright:

Hope that trailer tongue doesn't bite you while feeding the hopper.
Might have to make it detachable or mount it on the other end.

GG~

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are a MacGyver like me.
Nothing better than creating a useful piece of equipment out of an assortment of unrelated items. :icon_thumright:

Hope that trailer tongue doesn't bite you while feeding the hopper.
Might have to make it detachable or mount it on the other end.

GG~

HMMMM,,,I see your point!!! I also see a fast fix... It is only "tacked" together at this point. the elbow up is a smaller peice of pipe inside of the orginal tubing. I will "break" it loose on bottom and drill a hole thur both and hold it together with a pin...which of course will be simple to pull out and remove the tongue....Thanks Buddy!!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, those are my pants! Where did you find them? lol. You're going to want the hopper to be adjustable to a lot flatter position. Or drop the screen deep inside the tub. You want to be able to really wash every speck of dirt from each rock. I really like the way you think :notworthy:

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sackett, you did a great job, I like it! DIY is my favorite pastime, next to actually prospecting. The sluice you are using sounds similar to the Pop & Son design, which is great for all sizes of gold. Cant wait to see it in action.

I just looked up the Pop & Son sluice and mine does sound like it, it did anwser the question I've been wondering about how to place the expanded,,,,start big and go small is the way to go...Thanks 'Bouncer

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm 98% finished with the Highbanker...I have to put the clamps on to hold down my riffle system, and then paint it all up, and then FINISHED!! I took it out Wednesday and ran the pump and put water through it and it ran great...I'll post pictures when complete, and attempt to post a video of it working, if I can figure it out!!

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so now I've got it finished and I took it out today in the rain for it's first run. It ran great. Plus I found a few specks of gold, which is good in two ways..1- that it will catch gold, and 2-that gold is in this creek as it was my first time there. I also got a bonus in that I found an early 1900's "Green River Whiskey" token in the grizzly!! This token was about 2 1/2 or 3 feet deep in the creek, just above bedrock.. I recorded a video of it running that I hope to upload tomorrow,,,,when I figure out how???LOL!!!
IMG_20130211_123854 (1).jpg IMG_20130211_123835.jpg IMG_20130211_123737.jpg IMG_20130211_123825.jpg IMG_20130211_123817.jpg IMG_20130211_123808.jpg IMG_20130211_215131.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow I bet that token is a real trophy for you!!!

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Great work there. I see some good Ideas for mine in there. Now get out there as often as possible til you break it and then you can re-build it. LOL I was thinking of using a hand truck for the trailer on mine.... Looks like it could work pretty well judging by how yours looks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions