GPAA membership....worth it?

vapourtrail

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
New member to the forum here. Will take me weeks to go through all of the interesting posts, knowledge and experience from you all .
I'm going to be stocking up on a backpack size gold prospecting kit (small sluice, pan etc etc), and I have really been considering joining the GPAA (if only for the mining guide and access to their claims).

So, is it worth it? Are the claims so overworked that there is nothing there but specks?
I am very interested in any GPAA members that have an opinion on this.
I'm an avid watcher of Gold Fever (and all of the other gold shows for that matter), and obviously, that show is pretty much one huge commercial for the GPAA.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice any of you have, I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Forgot to add. I'm in Southern Cali but will travel occasionally to Northern Cali a couple of times a year.

Upvote 0

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
Vapourtrail
I'm in the same boat, been thinking about the GPAA for awhile but, between the
responses on this and other forums it's kind of a split decision about the GPAA.
A lot of folks say it's a good deal others have stated it's a waste. I've seen some
reruns of the show and as far as I'm concerned they need to get rid of that
Massie character!

DesertNuggets
I'm planning a trip to Tucson this fall and joining the local club for some
recreational prospecting with my MD, just wondering if the GPAA claims
overlap the local claims or are the GPAA and the local club's claims separate?

JP

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind that even if you don't join the GPAA, you can still attend any GPAA chapter meetings for free. Going to a clubs meetings will give you a lot of insight as to how well people are doing prospecting, and you can go to any outing that are not on GPAA properties (here in Colorado Springs, we rarely go to GPAA sites for club outings - many club members go to GPAA sites on their own, however). If you feel that there is some value to the club, and you want to join the GPAA, then you can. At least half of the people that attend our clubs meetings are not GPAA members and probably will never be.

There are other prospecting clubs in Colorado, and many of the people that come to our GPAA meetings are members of other prospecting clubs (getting at least twice the exposure to prospectors in the area). The benefit to you is that you will get to talk with people and learn what is specific to your area and maybe you can get invited on some trips where your odds of being successful at finding gold are improved.

I find that I am always learning new things from other people.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant beat the benefits for the price :icon_thumleft:

Long time GPAA member
GG~

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's worth it in my opinion...... It gives you a place to practice your new hobby without being on someones private claim and the scenery is beautiful if nothing else........ there's a lot of land on those claims and just one of them would take at least a year to fully cover it. cheap insurance to be on a legal claim.
Joe

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I've been a member since the mid '70's and no regrets at all. Even if you don't use the claims at least you have a starting place in an area.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES, YES, YES! I have been a member for awhile. Actually the big one (LDMA). They have several claims in the El Paso mountains. Just NE of Mohave. Also Randsburg area. You will not regret it. But, like the metal detector, it ain't worth it if it goes into the closet. TTC

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I joined to get access to all the great sites in N.C. and Ga. and of course, the guide book.

Not too thrilled at what's in there. I can find the pay for sites on the internet...

Never panned before, so I thought this would be a good intro into it. Still undecided.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Gold Fever show. I've learned a lot and really like the people on the show.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well someone had to give a differing opinion, so here it is. I was a GPAA member in the early 80's. I do believe it is a good place for the novice to learn to pan and get some questions answered. That being said, most of the GPAA claims have been hammered hard. I know of a claim that GPAA acquired but before they announced it to all GPAA members, it appears that a few (maybe in the upper ranks of GPAA?) got news ahead of time and hit the claim hard, then announced it to the rest of us GPAA members. If you join, pay attention to the new claims that come in, they may have been hit by those in the know in GPAA but they will be the least hammered of the claims. Once you learn how to prospect and how to find un-claimed land, GPAA may not be the place to spend your money. As far as LDMA, the only claim I can really say much about is Italian Bar and that claim has been thoroughly gone through a couple dozen times since the early 1980's.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes if you use it. I have my own claims but still remain a member. Alot of claims have been used heavily but doesn't mean they are done. Good to have a place to go and learn. When I go to a GPAA claim I always run into a greenhorn and gladly help them out. You will find that you will get help also grom experianced members. As far as getting rid of that Massie guy, well it is pretty hard to get rid of the boss! His family started the GPAA and the LDMA and the Outdoor Channel.

BH Prospector

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as getting rid of that Massie guy, well it is pretty hard to get rid of the boss! His family started the GPAA and the LDMA and the Outdoor Channel.

BH Prospector

That's kinda the way I saw it when I read that about Tom Massie,,,,The way I understand it He runs the GPAA and his brother runs the LDMA..

OP
OP
V

vapourtrail

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.
One last greenhorn question: Once I've bought my equipment, paid my GPAA membership, paid the GPAA claim site fee, are there any other fees/costs (except for the usual gas/ food etc of course). I don't know if I need any kind of license here in California or anything.

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
Yea, I know, read Massie's bio. a couple years ago. Don't mean to be over critical of the guy, he has been successful
in his own right, think I'm just getting a little burned out watching to much "reality" TV.
JP

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard( George Massie, who started GPAA and the Outdoor Channel.) got me to join after he passed away when I watched his TV show.
I already wanted to learn mining. He convinced me it was worth it. He said I could pay $250.00 to a heath club or take his $3.00 shovel and I'll show you how to find gold in the deserts and mountains near where I live. So I called GPAA and paid $67.50 and got everything they said I would. I started going to the Gold shows (the Vegas one is the best) and met more miners and took classes at the show, came in second in a panning contest, Really had a great time. I have now been to 18 GPAA claims, and that's just in California. My membership has lapsed, but I still would join if I wasn't unemployed at the moment.

Last edited:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.
One last greenhorn question: Once I've bought my equipment, paid my GPAA membership, paid the GPAA claim site fee, are there any other fees/costs (except for the usual gas/ food etc of course). I don't know if I need any kind of license here in California or anything.

Nope, you are good to go. Be sure to fill your holes and leave the place cleaner than when you got there!
Have fun
Steve

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whiteriver23 said:
Vapourtrail
I'm in the same boat, been thinking about the GPAA for awhile but, between the
responses on this and other forums it's kind of a split decision about the GPAA.
A lot of folks say it's a good deal others have stated it's a waste. I've seen some
reruns of the show and as far as I'm concerned they need to get rid of that
Massie character!

DesertNuggets
I'm planning a trip to Tucson this fall and joining the local club for some
recreational prospecting with my MD, just wondering if the GPAA claims
overlap the local claims or are the GPAA and the local club's claims separate?

JP

The GPAA claims and local club claims are separate but generally in the same areas. I really like the Desert Gold Diggers claims best.

You'll want to prospect the Greaterville claims. Both clubs have good claims there. :)

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda the way I saw it when I read that about Tom Massie,,,,The way I understand it He runs the GPAA and his brother runs the LDMA..
yeah sacket that is pretty much how it worked out after their dad died. Now toms son in law brad johnson is starting to take the raines a little

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread