eBay mining claims?

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I recently noticed that you can purchase (or the sellers claim you can) gold claims on eBay. I've never prospected in my life but have really been wanting to give it a try soon. I have tons of questions but until I find a place to go that wont cost a small fortune to get there, my prospecting adventures will be only dreams since I live in central Arkansas far from any gold fields. Anyways, like I was saying, I noticed the other day that on eBay there are sellers offering what seems to be some pretty good deals on supposedly, "gold bearing" land. They all advertised that each location has been tested and at least some gold was found. I'm just wondering if my gut is correct and these are just scams or have any of you ever had any dealings with these types of claim purchases and is it even legal? If so, what are some good ways of protecting your interest as to not get lured into a Lemmon deal. I've noticed that some of the claims seem cheap to me, but like I said I'm a total newbie, for all I know their prices could be total rip offs. Just wanting some reviews from some of you "real" prospectors on here before I venture into exploring these possibilities any further. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi silverfinder99,
You must be very careful about buying claims on line. Most are not above board. I know of a company out of Minnesota selling claims that are cross filed on claims that have been worked by the real owners for years. Alot of them file claims to sell without even checking if they are available but they will assure you it is legally filed and can show you the paperwork. The thing is they do have the proper paperwork on file with the BLM but the BLM is not responsible to check into availability of the land execpt to make sure it isn't withdrawn land for mining.I know of 4 claims in the Black Hills that this company is trying to sell that are owned by others and have been for 20 years or more. They are also selling claims on withdrawn land and lands with no access because it is surrounded by private land.
If you want to buy a claim be very careful. Check the claim out. Buy only from a claim owner who has actually worked the claim not some real estate company who isn't even in gold country. Also ask to work on the claim for a few days or a week and check several spots on the claim, not just where the owner says to dig. An honest claim owner will not have a problem with these conditions. Also research the claim you are looking at with the BLM. Two claims on one piece of land is a big red flag especially if one is for sale and the other not.
I have run accross this a few times here in the Black Hills where I own two claims. I would suggest you join a local club or the GPAA. Then you will have places to go. Hope this helps you.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed the same thing....and was wondering the same ....BUT all that I have read say come on out and sample before you buy...they give GPS location and some will even meet you there...but like the post above...I am hundreds of miles away "Indiana" here..lol

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would a claim owner willingly sell a producing claim? With gold prices where they are today, if I had a claim I'd be working it every spare minute I had.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only complaint I've heard about claims is the amount of paperwork and the lack of keeping it current.
The other is about having to deal with strict regulations. Once they know you're actively mining, they'll be out repeatedly to verify you're not disturbing natural environment and going beyond your plan of operation.
Numerous cases about claim owners getting tickets for this. One was just one in California. Forest service tried to ticket a guy for mining and not panning. Due to the length of his digging along a wash. This was posted a couple months ago. Somebody might be able to capture and post court verdict.
I was told by a prospector that owning a claim isn't all it's all about anymore.
That said, if you're finding gold while prospecting and there's no claim. Then file a claim. I'm not certain in all states, but for some of these claims, by the time you were to file your own your cost would be less than what they want.
Though in your area it might be hard. You can use the LC2000 to check for claims.
The other is to join a prospecting club or the GPAA.
Good luck

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of the time owners will sell especially now with the new fees, because they have too many claims and can't afford all the fees on all of them, or they are just getting too old. As far as the forest service coming out and checking up on you constantly is a bit over exaggerated. And they aren't all that ready to ticket you either. I calif it may happen more than other places because they are idiots there. I have been checked twice, once on each claim I own, and nothing was said. If you keep your mining small so it looks like recreational mining going on they will pretty much leave you alone. There have been several court rulings lately infavor of small miners.

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you guys have successfully talked me out of pursuing a claim but what about recreational panning? I live in central arkansas and was wondering if any of you have ever heard of anyone ever finding a little color in western arkansas in the ouachita national forest area, and is it even legal to pan in the streams there? My job has me driving all over this state and I'm constantly seeing stream and river beds that just look like they've got to have a few little flakes hiding in them somewhere. I guess the question I'm asking is this, what if any, are the rules and regulations for panning PUBLIC property and what's the best way to find out if its even allowed in certain areas?

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Ya, I have said this before on t net. I tried twice to buy a claim on eBay. Rock properties was the company name at the time, might be different now. Total disaster and joke. Mistake after mistake , the claim he tried to sell me was on someone's private property. Be very very careful on eBay. I will NOT ever try that again on eBay, nightmare!

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
Silverfinder99
The suggestion to join GPAA is probably the way to go. I've been thinking about joining for a year
since I visit Arizona periodically. As far as Arkansas gold is concerned, from what I've been able
to research there's not much to be found. I did notice however that the GPAA shows they have
some claims in Pike county!
JP

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm so glad this question was asked. If, upon inspection, the claim is singular and valid, wouldn't it be worth paying the price to not have to find a spot and research it oneself?

I'm about four hours from Oregon gold country and would like to find something to work on as a hobbyist when summer comes.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It depends on your idea of a good time. If you are one who needs a place of your own a claim may be the answer. If you hate paperwork and govt red tape you may want to join clubs. This is aside from any monatary considerations.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can see the thrill of the search in finding a new claim as a valuable element in prospecting. In that case how do I make sure I'm not on someone else's claim while in the process of finding my own?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several things MUST be considered if you want to own your very own GOLD MINE. First, does it really exist? If it does, it will have a "number" on it listed in the BLM LR2000 page. It will also have a location line that will include Meridian, township, range, and section ( of certain town). You must know how to find the listed claim on the LR2000 page or you cannot verify if the claim is still OPEN. The seller must be the owner or a verifiable agent for the owner. It is possible that it has been up for sale and is DELINQUENT in its maintainance. If delinquent, the seller may not tell you where it is.... because you may CLAIM a parcel not current without paying him a dime! And then, you should ask to be able to take your own assay (not trust his!) to determine if you think it would be profitable. As stated above, joining a group, even if only to "learn the ropes" may be a better idea till you get a feel for the WORK involved. As I said above, all this starts with learning the LR2000 page. TimC, my brother, knows that page inside out. He can help you. One more thing. Claims on public land is the best way to go, which means mostly western United States. Most Eastern claims will be on private ground which has its own set of problems. Study hard, Grasshopper. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice for the uninitiated is to forget about buying a claim from anyone.

Join the GPAA and have access to hundreds of claims. Or else join a local club if you live in a gold bearing area and use their claims.

Once you get enough experience and still want your own claim, go prospecting on blm land west of the Mississippi, make a discovery of a valuable mineral and spend a couple hundred dollars to file for your own 20 acre claim. Sure beats spending $1,000's on a worked out or useless claim scam.

After you have several years experience and are comfortable in your prospecting knowledge, then maybe you are ready to start thinking about a claim purchase.

GG~

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Since everyone seems so knowledgeable here, I have a mining question that I've always been curious about. I own 5 acres in New Mexico. This is flat land, and except for the home I built on it it's never been inhabited, at least not in modern times. Without any mountains or above-ground water sources near me, what are the odds of my finding any kind of gold on the land? I'm in the southeast corner of the state. Thank you!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since everyone seems so knowledgeable here, I have a mining question that I've always been curious about. I own 5 acres in New Mexico. This is flat land, and except for the home I built on it it's never been inhabited, at least not in modern times. Without any mountains or above-ground water sources near me, what are the odds of my finding any kind of gold on the land? I'm in the southeast corner of the state. Thank you!

0% if you don't dig :tongue3:

Kidding aside, It's possible that now buried ancient rivers ran in your area millions of years ago. The only way to know if gold is on your property is to test drill and have the samples tested for gold.

If gold is not known to be found anywhere around where you live then most likely there is no gold on your property.
But there is only one way to find out for sure and that is to test drill.

In a known gold area, long trenches can be dug to find which way the pay runs.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread