Using borax instead of mercury-very interesting!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well yes but both provide a way to convert a bunch oflittle pieces of gold into a bigger lump you can sell. The rest of the story of is very different...they could say switching from amalgamation to modern riffles and sluice mats, would that feel more 'honest'?

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Borax is used as a flux - If it can help process fine gold, I am all for it - I want nothing to do with Mercury. In years past, a lot of fine gold would not amalgamate with Mercury (impurities - whatever), so Mercury is not really an option in all cases (even if it does not scare you to use it). I am always interested in knowing how people process material.

NOTE: The system where you process your fines in a Microwave oven/kiln also uses flux in a similar way as the Borax example in the video.

I have looked into other ways to process ore/concentrates for gold (Cyanide is also not my favorite of thing to work with either). Places like Action Mininng (Home page) have some processes using CLS that I am interested in. Grab their PDF catalog and have a look.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions