Prospecting in Gravel pits

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
I read in the Recent Dodge City, Ks post that gravel pits are good places to look for gold...
Is this because of the glacial deposits some gravel pits are located on or the ancient river beds they are sometimes at?
I have some good family friends who run a large gravel pit which i have access to whenever I please as well as many of their test holes and such.
It is located about 1km from the current path of the Old Man river in Alberta which does contain some flour gold today as well as is in the coulee system formed by
glacial errosion and the river activity? should i pursue this area for dry prospecting and which places should I be looking for as i dont really have nay dry prospecting experience
thanks

Upvote 0

imagine

Feb 12, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I knew of a man in the San Joaquin Valley of California (near Fresno) who set up equipment in several gravel pits up and down the valley from Sacramento southward. He would place large washer boxes in the existing gravel classifying equipment and catch the fine gold as the river rocks and gravel moved through the system. I understand he would find 20 to 50 ounces a month depending on the location and output of the gravel pit. I know from first hand experience that most of the sand and gravel pits in this area of California do their own recovery of fine gold, and many make as much on the gold as they do on the sand and gravel.

If your friend has a gravel pit, he should allow you to sample some of the sand they produce for the public. If you find any gold in a regular gold pan using this sand, you know there is more to be found with the right equipment, and on a larger scale. Considering most sand and gravel pits run tons of material each MINUTE of production it adds up to some serious gold over the course of a month.

I have the design of the equipment he used, and I actually built a small working model for my own use. The advantage of this design is that its self cleaning so it never loads up with sand if the material is pre-classified. It catches gold so fine you can hardly see it without a 10X power microscope.

So it is worth the trouble to see is this sand and gravel pit has gold in it. Good Luck!

Optimistically Yours.

Linn Fuller

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Hi Imagine

I would be interested in obtaining a copy of the plans you refer to.

It sounds like an interesting project to recovery some gold.

Thanks

Dinkydick

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Its a lot easier and cheeper to get permitted for a gravel pit opperation that you recover gold from that a gold mine that you sell gravel from. :D

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
I also have some access to gravel pits. I would love to see the plans for the equiptment used to catch the fine stuff. Please let me know if I can find them anywhere.

Thanks,

D

drygulch

Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II
Add me to the list of people you got interested in this gizmo of yours. I would like to put an eyeball on it too.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Fresno county and there is alot of gold in gravel pits.A local cement plant is rumoured to find gold in their operation.From a good source Fresno county workers were digging a drainage pond and hit a large pocket of gold not far from the cement plant.Gold panning is fun but what a work out.Sorry to say that some counties frown on prospecting Fresno county is one :-[

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
I have done some reading in a book about this topic and did a quick google search. Here is some basic info on the "Rag Plant" This is what is used for this type of operation if you can afford to set up a large scale operation. Who knows, maybe you could spark the interest of the folks who own the pits to invest in you, considering your time, research and knowledge. Best of luck

http://www.e-goldprospecting.com/html/looking_for_gold_in_sand_and_g.html

dustbuster85

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE="imagine, post: 383271, member: 5709"]I knew of a man in the San Joaquin Valley of California (near F

To Imagine: My brother owns a gravel pit in southwest Nebraska that is just a couple hundred yards away from a small river. We want to run all of the sand through a sluice and see if there is any gold. I would really like to try out this design you are talking about for getting the fine gold. Would you be willing to share the design?
I knew of a man in the San Joaquin Valley of California (near Fresno) who set up equipment in several gravel pits up and down the valley from Sacramento southward. He would place large washer boxes in the existing gravel classifying equipment and catch the fine gold as the river rocks and gravel moved through the system. I understand he would find 20 to 50 ounces a month depending on the location and output of the gravel pit. I know from first hand experience that most of the sand and gravel pits in this area of California do their own recovery of fine gold, and many make as much on the gold as they do on the sand and gravel.

If your friend has a gravel pit, he should allow you to sample some of the sand they produce for the public. If you find any gold in a regular gold pan using this sand, you know there is more to be found with the right equipment, and on a larger scale. Considering most sand and gravel pits run tons of material each MINUTE of production it adds up to some serious gold over the course of a month.

I have the design of the equipment he used, and I actually built a small working model for my own use. The advantage of this design is that its self cleaning so it never loads up with sand if the material is pre-classified. It catches gold so fine you can hardly see it without a 10X power microscope.

So it is worth the trouble to see is this sand and gravel pit has gold in it. Good Luck!

Optimistically Yours.

Linn Fuller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread