Rattlers awakened EARLY!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing fat smelly ol'boy was suning himself when dispatched yesterday afternoon. Absolutely amazing as over 60+ years in the boonies and NEVER seen before april fools day wow. Poison oak awake too with lizards hungry and scurrying around also. 75 here in Shasta county yesterday and even warmer today. Err on the side a caution detecting as was NOT being very cautious as in winter mode of alls well--well now I'll put on the open headphones to hear them buzztails---John

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran one over with the quad yesterday. Middle of the morning. It was overcast, so they were out all day.

Pebble Puppy

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several years ago, Sports Afield Magazine or Field & Stream, had a two issue article on using D.C. shock as an emergency treatment for venomous snake bites. The process was supposedly discovered by a missionary in South America. It seems as though a villager was bitten by some kind of venomous snake (Fer De Lance)and was showing signs of going into cardiac arrest and the missionary used a pair of jumper cables attached to a tractor battery to shock the man. Evidently besides bringing him out of the cardiac incident and as a side benefit he suffered very little damage from the snake bite. The article was elaborated upon by a couple of other snake bite testimonies and some medical evidence. I was a Bow Hunter at the time and living and hunting in Nevada in August, I found the article real interesting. I have not seen any more about this in several years, and I do not know whether more studies in this field have been done. If memory serves me correctly, the articles were probably done in the mid to late 80s - early 90s. If I ever find the mags (I may still have them- somewhere) I will be sure to follow up

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large rattlers will chase you. They are faster than you would think. While I believe the statement they will strike first then rattle is true. Its also true they camo real nice and your not always gonna see em. They are also curious and will follow you, but dont ask me why. I dont kill em, and I give them a 10' berth if possible cause that 2/3 strike range is for armchairs hunters. The snakes will mark its spot and all you got to do is leave. I have not seen one yet, but have wondered where they are? Bees are out and crazy right now. I think copperheads are more aggressive that rattlers. Its believed the copperhead can mate with black snakes. I have a walking stick made out of a old cactus. I thump it on the ground as I walk, put it on the other side of the rock Im gonna step over....sometimes I whistle. Last year had two close calls. Chaps wouldnt have helped. Watch your pets and go slow. I been finding them under brush and under rocks. I will take pictures and post em. I have some pictures from last year somewhere. Never found any in a hole yet. I have found them just about anywhere. I dont believe I will be handling any of them. But would eat one just because its a guy thing. Maybe Ill make that a goal this year, to eat at least one rattlesnake.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
... But would eat one just because its a guy thing. Maybe Ill make that a goal
this year, to eat at least one rattlesnake.

If you can get more than a single bite down yer gullet, then that's 100% better than
I could do. Chewed it a few times, spit it out...the dog picked it up, chewed it a
few times, and he spit it out too!

Think I'd rather bite the head off a herring than eat another bite of rattler..
eating-02.gif

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoiser, I thought this was a new thread about politicians. AzV - caught and released a 4.5' rattler at work, I'd go detecting with you but the moment you start acting funny I'll spray you with a water bottle...........63bkpkr

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoiser, I thought this was a new thread about politicians. AzV - caught and released a 4.5' rattler at work, I'd go detecting with you but the moment you start acting funny I'll spray you with a water bottle...........63bkpkr

Well the thread started out as a snake thread.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread