Rattlers awakened EARLY!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing fat smelly ol'boy was suning himself when dispatched yesterday afternoon. Absolutely amazing as over 60+ years in the boonies and NEVER seen before april fools day wow. Poison oak awake too with lizards hungry and scurrying around also. 75 here in Shasta county yesterday and even warmer today. Err on the side a caution detecting as was NOT being very cautious as in winter mode of alls well--well now I'll put on the open headphones to hear them buzztails---John

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to early for Mr. No Shoulders and just a week or two ago, we were freezing. We need rain, not warm weather..

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that but thanks for the heads up. Seems we cross paths every year now and after having my dog bit I'd rather not. Agree with Oakview2. More rain please.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor old snakes. Can't get any rest now that global warming is here. It's all Al Gore's fault...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Should be coming out on the eastern and southeastern exposures. Watch where you put those hands when moving near those bluffs. TTC

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Should be coming out on the eastern and southeastern exposures. Watch where you put those hands when moving near those bluffs. TTC

Good advice Terry...a lot of them this time of year will strike and bite first, then rattle. :hello:

maverick41950

Jun 18, 2012
NC-Piedmont area and only an hour away from fine c
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have a few Rattlers but mostly Copperheads in my area. I caused one to have a real bad day 2 weeks ago and it was 38 degrees but the sun was beaming down on the 3' rock it was laying on. I cut his head off and it THEN struck itself in the belly and the fangs stuck. That is the way he went to meet his Maker. :icon_thumleft:

Bryan

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
man this is way to early hope its not a sign of things to come, maybe there going to be thick this year. i find 8-9 a year out at work

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice Terry...a lot of them this time of year will strike and bite first, then rattle. :hello:

I have snake hunted the rock cliffs of Western NC for many years....90% of Rattlers WON'T Rattle until they are touched....That rattle to warn you away is NON_SENSE!! PLUS they have more poison this early,,,as they ain't bit nothin' in a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lil wayne

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those rattlers are some good eating a brother of mine cooked some in N.C last time I was up there and it was pretty good till he told me what it was.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful! The newly hatched rattlers are the most dangerous. Their toxin is the same as a cobra's until they mature. then it turns into standard, less dangerouse venom. EDIT: Seems it may not be. I retract my statement... for now. TTC

Last edited:

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The little rattlers I've seen make a ton of noise.

The big guys never made a peep. Some even appeared to play dead.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the Timber rattlers here will not buzz most times unless you get them riled up. I came upon a very large one last year early. He was so old and only had 3 rattles left and had broke one fang but he was huge and pissy. Unfortunately I had to dispatch him because he took up residence on my steps at the cabin and under the porch. I had moved him twice already but not far enough I guess. He had a young rabbit in him last time I caught him. The ranch hands had him for dinner and took his hide for their hat.8-) It is the copper heads that always spook me during turkey season.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry it is true that the "babies" do in fact have venom, but I don't think that it is any stronger, BUT they can be deadly!!

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love Rattle snakes i have some experience on how to handle them safely but if you respect the animal they will respect you

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry it is true that the "babies" do in fact have venom, but I don't think that it is any stronger, BUT they can be deadly!!

My understanding is the young ones unload all their venom when they bite and the older ones can use as much as they think necessary sometimes even using a 'dry' bite.

maverick41950

Jun 18, 2012
NC-Piedmont area and only an hour away from fine c
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The old folks (not me) around here always say that the younger ones haven't learned to "ration" their venom and they give you the whole load with one strike. I have no idea if there is any truth in that and I have no plans to personally find out.8-)
Bryan

OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I handle them safely too kapow adios. I put dozens of snakes on my properties each year of every kind to control them buzztails. Only critters I ever shoot is buzztails and crack/crank heads ,as all else ok in my world-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread