Gold / Rock and gravel pits / cement plants ????

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here in so cal . the Irwindale plant is the only rock pit around here , the S- sand and pea gravel along with the 3/4 inch rocks washed down from the mountains over millions of years to the Irwindale rock plant to produce the most perfect material for cement ... it all landed in a huge pit . So one might think gold would be in the mix. They have ben pulling rock and sand out of there since 1909 and after working there i was told they have a 50 yr supply left .... is there gold in the river bed wash ? or the bottom of the rock pit ?

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
one way to find out! ive been getting fine gold from a sand and gravel plant in the mid-west,so California "probly" has some gold....ask for permission to go ther when the plant isnt running to look in their screw hoppers for the black sand in there. if you present yourself professionally and present them with a release of liability, you may have a chance. invite them to go with you and show them what your wanting to do. whatever you do, DONT try to hide anything from them or tell any white lies about your intent! maybe they will and then again maybe they wont, but you wont know untill you ask them!

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being as its downstream from Azusa canyon, there is a chance of finding something.

This reminds me of the story of a guy who dug up his front yard in Montclair (just a block away from where I grew up) because he was finding flour gold.
Back in ye olden days, the Montclair area used to flood from the San Antonio Creek, which flowed down from the Baldy area. So finding gold in his front yard was not a surprise.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i know there used to be several s&g pits in the area. in the late 90's early 00's i went to a few(job related) they were processing thier gold out themselves. one even had a large dredge working in the pond at the bottom of the pit. so yes there is some gold in there. if you got a line it wouldn't hurt to ask. highdesertranger

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do have tailings and they do have gold and it can be found and it can be acquired.
I saw a Gold Fever show with Tom Massey. He was visiting a guy at his house somewhere below the San Gabriel Mountains. He had acquired the materials on my local quarry which he would not reveal. The rock Quarry knew of this activity and had given him permission. He had set up a recirculating processing plant and driveway using large magnets. He had 5 gallon buckets of black sands and he was pulling a good quantity of flour gold out of the black sands I can't remember the title of that episode.
Something about gold in your backyard.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread