Mill Creek? Highway 38 east of San Bernardino, Ca.

Meagen's Dad

Greenie
Feb 26, 2013
Crestline, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone here ever prospected the creek that runs along hwy. 38 from Mentone out past Forest Falls? I did a job up the road from there a while back & have always wanted to try a pan or two since the San Bernardino mountains have been known for gold in the past. Also has anyone ever tried prospecting in Waterman canyon? the creek there is very small, usually not enough current to use a sluice but I drive up it a couple times a week & have been curious! :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 96 my Cousin and I worked a creek like that on the 38 on the back side just below walker pass. It was so small I could straddle the creek.
We funneled all the water into my A52 and had to trench the creek bed down under the sluice about a foot deep and maybe 10' down stream to the get the flow fast enough. We did almost 30 buckets that weekend and found only 1 good picker, no flakes no flour, hardly any black sand. That was real weird. That hasn't ever happened before or since. I was told that creek was part of the South Fork Santa Anna river system. The picker was as big as a air rifle pellet. It showed up in the 2nd bucket. We assumed we would find more. Wrong.

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intrusive rock abounds, mostly N of the road, wouldn't be surprised - Tonalite - Quartz diorite - Monzonite.
johnnysau

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The creek itself is all private property along Hwy 38 except a small area near Mt Home.

Pretty much everything south of the Hwy is off limits. To the north away from the creek there is some open land but be careful, there are some mining claims on the north side.

Once 38 turns north most of the area around the Hwy is private land. The wilderness is to the east.

There are a few spots, outside the creek, in that area you might be able to legally prospect. It might take some research.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread