Greenie
May 27, 2012
Mother Lode
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike here,
For years now I have read almost every post on this site but never put my two cents worth inn, so here goes. I live in Pa. but spend a lot of time out in California since I have family in O.C. I got into gold prospecting a few years back by going up to the East Fork of the San Gabriel river. My son and I did a lot of sluicing in the river and really got my education from the guys on the stream. We met a lot of real characters up there but I guess that's one of the qualifications for being a prospector counting myself! It's a crying shame of all the trash people leave up there. Anyways this one day I decided to do some metal detecting for nuggets and headed up to the turn around on Shoemaker Road. Parked the car and got out my MXT, water, camera, backpack and shovel. I figure that I would work the left side of the road on the way up and the right side on my my down. Sure is some beautiful country up there. About half way up it got kind of scary and I thought to myself man you should be packin cause you never know what your going to run into up here. Mountain lions, snakes and druggies!!! I made it up to the first tunnel and decided I should start headin back, my water was gettin low and the sun was starting to go down. I pulled up a lot of bullets and junk like on most outings. About halfway back there was a washout in the road and as I looked down I see BLING!!!! This beautiful big GOLD NUGGET. (see pics) I could not believe what I was lookin at. I got up and did the happy dance, got down on my knees and said "thank you to the GOLD GOD"S". If someone would have had a video camera of this it would have gone viral. So I'm thinkin this thing must weigh a good 5oz. I got my camera out and took several pictures of it before I picked it up. Oh, did i mention that since it was just sticking out of the ground that I didn't run the MXT over it!!! I mean come on, what would you do? I bent down and parted the dirt around it very carefully and picked it up. MY HEART SANK! This is that part where the video camera would have come in. *&%$*^@ etc. I said someone went to the trouble to put this out here for some FOOL like me. Anyway it was a thrill of a life time. Dam, I'll have to shrink my other pic's the site says there to big.
Mike

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    908.8 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Mike, you missed the quartz vein about 300 yards from where that picture was taken. A good 12"+ tall with lots of blue, green and red color in it. Haven't run a detector over it yet, but someone has been mining it.

OP
OP
A

AUMIKE

Greenie
May 27, 2012
Mother Lode
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I saw it, I climbed up there and took a few samples. Nice blueish green. Must be some copper in that vein somewhere. Up at the first tunnel there are a couple real nice quartz veins but I'm a little to old to climb up there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread