Need advice from the experts!

jatdogg

Feb 15, 2013
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section. I have made a few post about digging around this massive quartz rock/vein. But back to the beginning of what sparked my interest in gold. There is a hand dug well on my property. It was dug around 60 years ago by my great uncle I think. The hole in the ground is about 6' across and about 15' to the water. The water is about 8' deep. There is a well house built around it for safety of course, but I was told by my father and 2 uncles that 2 gold nuggets was found while digging this well( about the size of a pinky finger nail.) I'm not sure if they actually looked for gold while digging or just happened to find them. Also not sure of the depth they found them. My father and uncles was too young to know the information, all they know is they did find them. I recently had my brother in law to lower me in this well to explore a bit. There is a layer of red clay about 5-6' in depth, the it changes to this very hard whitish grey clay, not sure what is below the water line. My question is, why would there be nuggets in this type soil? Should they not be hooked to a host rock?

Upvote 0

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where are you located? Knowing the basic geology of the area will help forum members give you a more educated answer to your question.

pmgsourdough

Feb 13, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How far from the surface did they run into gold? I am not familiar with the geology in your area. Hopefully someone here is more familiar and can offer more insight.

OP
OP
J

jatdogg

Feb 15, 2013
I have no way of knowing the depth everyone has passed away that dug, and my uncles were just young kids and they have no idea, wish I did know rhough

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just arm chair prospecting but from my calculations that puts you by Wadeville,NC i have a few markings on my Google Earth around that area, and ?? miles east of Charlotte was the famous REED mine they took out pounds of the stuff. Im in reno, NV but i always jot down possible leads no matter where they are,
Sounds like further investigation is needed, watch out for cave ins. If you feel comfortable private mail me a more better location and and maybe i can detail better.

johnnysau

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The presence of clay indicates the area used to be underwater so likely a deeper layer has larger cobbles and gravel...and placer gold too. That layer could be the area where the groundwater flows thru to go to the well so you'll have to go deeper to see...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions