Upvote 0

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
drywallman said:
I was panning some pay dirt yesterday, and had a flake start floating. I took a quick video, just so anyone who hasn't seen gold float before can see it. When the gold hits the air, and then water again the water quickly picked up this little piece of gold.
http://youtu.be/4w5Eg_ms7RA?sc

Ooh yea it's caused by surface tension of the water and a little soap or jet dry will fix the problem!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Oh ya haha.. had this happen all the time, I dont like putting anything in my water. I have found as long as I keep all the material covered with water when back swirling and panning and not letting all the water come down to the bottom of my pan it doesn't happen as often, when it does float I can usually tap the flake back down with my finger. I also take all my black sands home to run in a blue bowl after getting the majority out at the waters edge.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I know about surface tension, I also understanding is worse with treated city water than in a flowing body of water.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job on your little video. I'll bet a lot of people have never seen gold float before. Your little youtube video should straighten them out though. A tiny bit of oil, the natural stuff on your skin or other oils will make it float as well. That's why a bit of liquid soap/detergent helps it drop again. A rookie sprayed some bug dope right by us one day when we were panning some concentrates. The small stuff floated right up, and the sheen from the oil in the bug spray was clear to see--but, a little detergent knocked it right back down under the surface again.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny for the kind words, it means a lot to a greenhorn like me, to hear from a seasoned gold chasing veteran like yourself.
I just finished panning the 15lbs of pay dirt from Dahlonega Ga, given to me as a gift. Nice sassy, chunky gold!

Attachments

• image-392814633.jpg
    image-392814633.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 200
  • image-3327809765.jpg
    image-3327809765.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 215

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done! Great pictures--a little golden smile too.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions