San Juan Nation Forest

eyecancer

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

I am a SW Colorado student and I will be spending the majority of my free summer in the hills around Silverton. I also joined GPAA as they have a claim on the Animas river just south of Silverton and picking the brains of others for gold is invaluable. The first meeting I will attend is this Wednesday. I have a few creeks picked out in the San Juan National Forest that I'd also like to prospect. The gear I chose was the basic Garret gold panning kit and the Angus MacKirk Recon gold trap sluice for it's portability. I've got the cabin and gold fever right now.

Is anyone in the Durango area? Have experience in the San Juans? How are the rangers here in enforcing 14 day camp limit? If I file a letter of intent will that guarantee a ranger checking up on me? As for the Weminuche Wilderness area, it is off limits for mineral exploration correct? If anyone is familiar with the area, how is the prospecting on the Animas near Needleton? The No Name and Ten Mile creeks look promising. I believe the old miners never had a chance to develop the minerals in the Weminuche as it was too rugged, possibly leaving more for the modern prospector. Looking forward to what you guys think.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
14 day limit: sometimes they will let you stay longer if you keep your camp really clean, keep a low profile...and don't ask (so they don't have to TELL you the rules.)

Recreational prospecting (no mining claims allowed) in a Federal Wilderness Area- is allowed unless specifically forbidden in a specific spot as long as you use no mechanized equipment (shovel, sluice, pan only) and please clean up after yourself...leave things as natural as you can. For you the good news is you can probably go for it! Have a great summer!!

Here is a quote from the forest service in Aspen: What are the rules for panning gold in the National Forest? Where are the best places?
You can pan for gold on a limited, recreational basis (not commercial) on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Forest Service lands without a permit, providing you are not causing any ground disturbance. It is your responsibility to know whether you are on private or public land. You will also want to contact the local office to ensure that you avoid any patented mining claims in the area.

Reference: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r2/about-region/contactus/?cid=stelprdb5189975

Last edited:

lostcoastau

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting in Weminuche Wilderness is not allowed. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5395375.pdf Fourth paragraph.
There are many other areas in the San Juans open to prospecting. The old timers prospected everywhere, nothing was too rugged.
Look at the mines south of Ouray along the Uncompahgre river. No tailing piles there because they tunneled into shear cliffs.

Sounds like an adventure filled fun summer. I did the same thing twenty years ago. Hope to do it again soon. Good luck.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting in Weminuche Wilderness is not allowed. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5395375.pdf Fourth paragraph.
There are many other areas in the San Juans open to prospecting. The old timers prospected everywhere, nothing was too rugged.
Look at the mines south of Ouray along the Uncompahgre river. No tailing piles there because they tunneled into shear cliffs.

Sounds like an adventure filled fun summer. I did the same thing twenty years ago. Hope to do it again soon. Good luck.

Your link doesn't work, can you try again?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That link works. Sad to see a ban in a whole Wilderness Area. I wonder if that would stand up in court. I have a letter from Senator Udall saying non-mechanized prospecting IS allowed in federal wilderness areas. I wonder what a San Juan FS District ranger would say when I showed him that letter?!

lostcoastau

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will probably say I'll get back to you on that. I've been told that certain activities were allowed by one person, only to be handed
a ticket by his boss. If there is a grey area get permission, get it in writing and signed by some one high up.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady that works in the mineral department in the Durango office of the Forestry Service is up north, but will be back March 25th. I will call her and ask her about the current restrictions in Weminuche and other wilderness areas. My Dad is running over to the USGS office in Durango tomorrow for me.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eyecancer, let me know if you want to hit the high country up there together. I grew up in that neck of the woods, and live a few hours away. I also recommend you scour the old USGS reports about the Weminuche Wilderness. I made plans to hit the Vallecito watershed, until I learned of the ban on mineral exploration of any kind. And I can recall ten years ago seeing a few guys 2 miles up that trail with a gravity pump dredge setup, the spot whcih I posted photos of last summer after I got rained out up there. So who knows till we get it straight from a higher up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eyecancer

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I talked to the blm/fs office and received the same information about the mineral lady. I've dug a couple holes in town on the Animas and haven't had the best of luck outside of a few specks. I'd definitely be happy to hook up with a fellow prospector, let's do it! I'm going to my first gpaa meeting tonight, hopefully to learn a lot!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread