Free gold maps, user interface has been updated

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have finally taken the time to update my MRDS / Google Maps web site so that it is more friendly to users, and also so that the maps can handle the 84,400+ records in the MRDS that include "gold" in their entries. I have also added a database for the absolute ages of rock samples for the USA.

The front page is here: Free Gold Maps

The user's interface is here: Free Gold Maps; New user interface

There are currently three report options for the updated user's interface: brief data grid, detailed data grid, and Google map layer. Selection is done by Country, State (or equivalent), and County (or equivalent).

The "Map by geocode location" page is here: Free Gold Maps; Gold record map via town and state.

Most people I suppose will find the address service (Map by geocode location) to meet their needs.

Note that there are web sites that charge money for this information, anywhere from $1 a day for a subscription, to $47 for "reports" with this information. That annoyed me, since the databases are in the public domain, and freely available on-line.

In a few days I am going to the desert to work one of my placer claims for around 30 days, and when I return I will be adding other databases for minerals other than gold.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You rock Desertphile! Heavy pans in the desert to you...

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a bunch! Your luck has just increased tenfold

REFRYGUY

Mar 12, 2013
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do I start

Hi I'm new to this and in Northern California, how do I know if it is legal for me to gold pan somewhere? The maps above help in finding claims it seems. Can I just follow a road close to a local river park, and walk down the river and start panning? Are there restrictions besides trespassing I should worry about?

once I do find some gold, who do I sell it to? besides the obvious we buy gold here places that are for jewelry and a rip off.

thanks for the help
Frank

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Northern California are you in? I can share some research if its near me

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Refryguy: if you don't have a reputable jewler or mining shop near you, Ebay is a good way to go. List under paper money-gold-bullion, and describe it as genuine placer gold... you can get spot price or better, and that's better than the price jewlers or mining supply shops will give anyway

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the free gold maps for the counties in southwest Colorado, and also data files fresh from LR2000, displayed on a custom Google Earth map with an overlay of the two. Most of the time they are in total agreement, but there are places where they are not. Not slinging any accusations at anyone about anything, honestly, just want to make sure I don't operate from incorrect info and get shot or arrested. So I will be traveling to the USGS office with my laptop to see if I can get things sorted out.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the free gold maps for the counties in southwest Colorado, and also data files fresh from LR2000, displayed on a custom Google Earth map with an overlay of the two. Most of the time they are in total agreement, but there are places where they are not. Not slinging any accusations at anyone about anything, honestly, just want to make sure I don't operate from incorrect info and get shot or arrested. So I will be traveling to the USGS office with my laptop to see if I can get things sorted out.

I have run into that too. Sometimes when I get out in the field, it's obvious which source is right, sometimes not. That's why the local County Clerk n Recorder office is still so key....lots of old data with errors in it :(

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks for setting this up. It is easy to use and and pretty valuable for quick information about your area... thanks

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bump. This is a thread that should be sticky LOL

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again Desertphile

OP
OP
D

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like I was blocked from this site because I said dowsing doesn't work. Huh.

Anyhow, I have updated the user interface at Free Gold Maps and I have included a few new features.

OP
OP
D

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Due to some people asking about other commodities than gold, I've added that feature. I have removed from the database my turquoise claims, and also my gold claims, since I'm paranoid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread