Which State Has The Prettiest Gold ?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
It all looks fantastic, but i noticed some states stand out more than others. The Carolinas produce some very handsome gold, as does Georgia. It's very bright and shiny. Dazzelling really. It sort of resembles gold leaf. California gold is gorgious too. I was rather disappointed with Colorado gold. The gold i found had a darkish ruddy brown hue to it that made it unappealing except for its monetary value. The BLM office in Cayon City features a piece of Australian gold in their display case instead of Colorado gold. Apparantly Australian gold beats theirs hands down. There are alot of states i haven't been to yet and i haven't seen their gold. What's your opinion ? Which state has the prettiest gold ? Feel free to disagree !

Upvote 0

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grass valley gold is very pretty, I think. Little more ornage color, mabye copper?

And nuggets from austraila are very pretty, but I think that is because of their SIZE!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep size does matter, I'll take the flour gold(gold is gold) but I would rather have nuggets.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Having lived in California, Georgia, N. Carolina, and now Arizona I have to admit I like the gold from all those states. I've seen some from the Black Hills that was really REALLY nice looking but have never had a chance to hunt for some there myself. Oz is great for size if you really think size matters but it all adds up eventually. ;) Four ounces of flour weighs the same as a four ounce nugget if you know what I mean.

To me it's not only abut the gold. Yes it's a nice benefit, but as long as I can be outdoors doing something I'm happy. Since I moved to S.E. Arizona I've also started getting into the crystals and gems in this area as well. Some of them are also nice and very interesting to study.

Jeff

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern Cali is hard to beat!
P1020822.JPG

OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Get a load of this Irish. I was prospecting at Point Bar Colorado and saw a guy pull a 5" diameter crystal geode outta a coyote hole. I'm thinkin "Lucky ******* just made $400 dollars". Next thing i know he hollers "What'a you think is inside this rock ?" and i see him raising a two pound hammer over his head. I hollered, "NO ! YOU IDIOT ! STOP !.. But couldn't cover the distance fast enough before he crushed the geode into oblivion with one hit. I was so sick i almost vomited. The crystal inside was a perfect lavendar color. What a waste.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
WoW Guys that is all good gold!!!

Reed, what a collection of types and quite a variety of gold you have in that pic.

Wow, Bug that is some nice Cali butter for sure. Couldn't have asked fo more artistic great looking character to it.

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get 5 different colored gold in 4 creeks in my area....the orange tint is copper,the lighter colored tends to be more silver.One of my spots has a high graghitic schist content and the gold comes out black,and turns to a dull gray

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger: I would love to see some of your grey gold!

I will have to go dig some.Buyers wont take it,so it gets Nitric acid (cleaned)That graphitic schist ,is some nasty stuff,it stains your hands black as well

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That must be the fabled black clay that pays. I have heard about a black clay that will stain your hands, but is worth working. But I've never found any here in placer/nevada/el dorado counties (the ones I ve prospected)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yep,that is it!!!!There is only two areas I have encountered it,and its always rich!No mistaking it either!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Georgia has the purest gold at 23 k.

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kuger: glad I finally got a name for it, I was always looking for it around fractured slate, as I figured that was the host material... duh!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into a pocket of it one time diving(dredging) at the bottom of a 8' hole where the water wasnt clearing out,it turned the water jet ink black,couldnt see my hand in front of my face!Had I not been into it before would have really freaked me out!!Got a 3/4 ouncer and around 4 oz of chips out of that pocket

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread