Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,

Just wondering what quantities of gold people are finding on an average day up at the EF. I've only been there a few times and have gotten about 1/4g-1/2g a day. Great workout and tons of fun.
IMG_1809_zps1ef74fa1.jpg

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! - you must be moving a lot of material, most guys don't come home with half that much from reading older posts here.
BTW, great close-up pic:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job! - you must be moving a lot of material, most guys don't come home with half that much from reading older posts here.
BTW, great close-up pic:icon_thumright:

Thanks! Im very new to prospecting but i learn a ton each time i go out. Its seems like ive been getting better gold each time. I have to give Todd @ Bazooka Gold Trap some credit for his amazing sluice. Started with his super mini and he just made me a custom 42" prospector model which is a dream to work with. Like you said i spend most of my time moving material, the bazooka eats it like a starving Ethiopian =P . Cant wait for this weekend. I get stopped by prospectors all the time asking about my bazooka and i have nothing but good to say.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have problems with "the man" or other "users" (partyers)? A lot of guys won't go there on weekends.

CT8620

Sep 10, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The super mini I have is awesome. Perfect for hiking too and 10x faster cleanout than anything else out there. What was the "custom" part of the prospector model he did for you? I think he has "super" versions of all three models out now, is this just the "super" version of the Prospector?

OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope, Only been there about 4 or 5 times(sat and sundays)...not once have i seen a ranger or people causing trouble. However I'm not prospecting Heaton flats or anywhere downstream, not because of these people, just figured id have a better chance upstream(seems like alot of people dont like to walk/carry gear far). Plus its a great hike and over 8+ miles of river to prospect. Theres alot of wildlife so i just keep my eyes open and be aware. Being prepared is Key. Don't be afraid, just prepared. A full sized shovel is a good deterrent for most things.

OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The super mini I have is awesome. Perfect for hiking too and 10x faster cleanout than anything else out there. What was the "custom" part of the prospector model he did for you? I think he has "super" versions of all three models out now, is this just the "super" version of the Prospector?

No, the "super" version of the Prospector is 48" long. the regular is 30" and he has a 36" version(forgot the name). I asked him for a 42" which he made for me and said it was the first one of its size and he liked it(looked very proportional). Also said he might start selling this new size as well.

CT8620

Sep 10, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the "super" version of the Prospector is 48" long. the regular is 30" and he has a 36" version(forgot the name). I asked him for a 42" which he made for me and said it was the first one of its size and he liked it(looked very proportional). Also said he might start selling this new size as well.

Oh, very cool. Perhaps I'll see you up there, not many of us sporting Bazooka's that I've seen. I'm usually running between 2 and 4 miles upstream, depending. Although I do tend to avoid weekends because of the crowded parking lot and "the man", which at some point you will run into on the weekend. Make sure you park inside the lines of your parking space and your Pass is up to date too.

CT

OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, very cool. Perhaps I'll see you up there, not many of us sporting Bazooka's that I've seen. I'm usually running between 2 and 4 miles upstream, depending. Although I do tend to avoid weekends because of the crowded parking lot and "the man", which at some point you will run into on the weekend. Make sure you park inside the lines of your parking space and your Pass is up to date too.

CT

Ya i get there as early as i can 5-6am and work 2+ upstream, still havent been bothered by a soul. What does "the man" want?

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the Man" in this instance it refers to the Forestry Department Officers i.e. the Rangers. Because of political pressure by some environmental groups and the fact that there has been an unusual amount of homeless people trying to live in the East Fork San Gabriel River Valley, which is also known as the Sheep Mountain wilderness area, they have been called upon to misinterpret and misrepresent the laws regarding recreational mining on the East Fork River. The East Fork San Gabriel River is a designated recreational gold mining area do not let them intimidate you. 1872 Free Mining act is the law protecting your rights to prospect on public land. That law is active and still in effect. Those of us who know the law will challenge the Rangers. As a matter fact my wife challenge the Ranger about simply camping in the parking lot. When challenged correctly they will back down. She challenged him because he said he could site us for staying overnight in my motorhome. She said go ahead but first show her signs that say no camping no overnight parking. She also mentioned she is an Ex federal agent herself (She was a TSA Agent) and knows that he signed an oath of office and it is his sworn duty to uphold the law and write her a citation or he would be in violation of his sworn duty. He did not write a citation. There are several posts on this website regarding conflicts between the Rangers and prospector's, we are still prospecting, we still parked overnight in the parking lot. Not all of the Rangers will challenge you. I've talked to a few in a friendly fashion. And all they asked of me is not to leave any dangerous holes or undermine trees. And if they tell you that this area is withdrawn from the 1872 Free-mining act. Simply and kindly remind them that that provision only applies to commercial mining interests and not to the recreational prospector. After that, if they persist to dissuade you from continuing ask for his badge number, and you may want to remind him that the misuse of legal authority to harass law abiding citizens is a prosecutable offense. I also keep my camera handy. It may be your best witness. My hope is you never have to have that type of confrontation, but you should be aware of some of the political issues that have developed since the price of gold has risen. 20 years ago all the Rangers were friendly and helpful. Also the majority of campers policed their trash. But in the last few years the trash left behind has increased. I call them weekend war parties. And strangely enough much of their trash is blamed on miners. I now plan my trips to the Eaast Fork river on week days. SoCal85Toyota keep mining, never give up, never surrender.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"the Man" in this instance it refers to the Forestry Department Officers i.e. the Rangers. Because of political pressure by some environmental groups and the fact that there has been an unusual amount of homeless people trying to live in the East Fork San Gabriel River Valley, which is also known as the Sheep Mountain wilderness area, they have been called upon to misinterpret and misrepresent the laws regarding recreational mining on the East Fork River. The East Fork San Gabriel River is a designated recreational gold mining area do not let them intimidate you. 1872 Free Mining act is the law protecting your rights to prospect on public land. That law is active and still in effect. Those of us who know the law will challenge the Rangers. As a matter fact my wife challenge the Ranger about simply camping in the parking lot. When challenged correctly they will back down. She challenged him because he said he could site us for staying overnight in my motorhome. She said go ahead but first show her signs that say no camping no overnight parking. She also mentioned she is an Ex federal agent herself (She was a TSA Agent) and knows that he signed an oath of office and it is his sworn duty to uphold the law and write her a citation or he would be in violation of his sworn duty. He did not write a citation. There are several posts on this website regarding conflicts between the Rangers and prospector's, we are still prospecting, we still parked overnight in the parking lot. Not all of the Rangers will challenge you. I've talked to a few in a friendly fashion. And all they asked of me is not to leave any dangerous holes or undermine trees. And if they tell you that this area is withdrawn from the 1872 Free-mining act. Simply and kindly remind them that that provision only applies to commercial mining interests and not to the recreational prospector. After that, if they persist to dissuade you from continuing ask for his badge number, and you may want to remind him that the misuse of legal authority to harass law abiding citizens is a prosecutable offense. I also keep my camera handy. It may be your best witness. My hope is you never have to have that type of confrontation, but you should be aware of some of the political issues that have developed since the price of gold has risen. 20 years ago all the Rangers were friendly and helpful. Also the majority of campers policed their trash. But in the last few years the trash left behind has increased. I call them weekend war parties. And strangely enough much of their trash is blamed on miners. I now plan my trips to the Eaast Fork river on week days. SoCal85Toyota keep mining, never give up, never surrender.

Great, thanks for the info! Weekdays are great up there but work keeps me limited to the weekends. I like sundays there. Hopefully "the man" is observant enough to notice that people with hundreds if not thousands of dollars in gear are most likely not homeless or out to cause trouble/destroy the environment. Got to be prepared for anyone and anything. Id much rather deal with rangers and homeless than a bunch of Taggers or Gangster. Got enough of that BS in the city.

OP
OP
Socal85toyota

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful day at the EF. Didn't see any bums or rangers and even forgot to display my adventure pass. Came back and was expecting a $50 ticket and... Well I guess it was my day cause there was no ticket :) good karma. And some yellow stuff...

Attachments

• image-2604177639.jpg
    image-2604177639.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 222
  • image-2956092652.jpg
    image-2956092652.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 189

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Great post. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread