Gold n sand hand dredge

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't remember if I've asked about this before or not.. But does anyone on here own a gold n sand hand dredge? Does it work good? I'm thinking about getting one but the only problem would be that I would want a longer hose so I can put it directly into my sluice. I know they sell a box you can attach to your sluice and pump to it but they only give you 6ft of hose from what I've read. I would need about 15ft of hose..(I'm working in a really deep hole) Any ideas? =\

Upvote 0

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason the hose is only 6 feet long, is that you can only really draw 3-4 feet. You would need a REALLY long hand dredge and handle to move material 15 feet. (And 2 -3 people working it!)

Better idea is to buy the Xstream Gold-n-Sand. That's made to work under water. You will have to submerge the bucket and then lift it out from under the water.

Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The reason the hose is only 6 feet long, is that you can only really draw 3-4 feet. You would need a REALLY long hand dredge and handle to move material 15 feet. (And 2 -3 people working it!)

Better idea is to buy the Xstream Gold-n-Sand. That's made to work under water. You will have to submerge the bucket and then lift it out from under the water.

Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to gravity dredge the hole out.. I was just shoveling material out of the hole into a bucket then hauling it to the sluice but it gets a little tiring climbing in and out of that hole with a bucket load of dirt. And the overburden in the hole is mostly trash material that I just need to get out of there quickly.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the xstream model too. It works great and is less effort than most since they use top quality valves and plunger gasket (leather). Enjoy!

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Just got my new xstream on my door today! So stoked to suck sum bedrock! Ironically i was out yesterday and didnt have it! Not bad for NH

Attachments

• image-2719817487.jpg
    image-2719817487.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 314

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N8, I just bought one last fall, I've only used it a couple times sucking out cracks and crevices. So far it works very well. I've been working a dry stream bed with a lot of exposed bedrock. Its over in Missouri so its pretty much flour gold with the occasional flake or tiny picker. I'm wondering what would be the best sluice to use for an area like this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N8, I just bought one last fall, I've only used it a couple times sucking out cracks and crevices. So far it works very well. I've been working a dry stream bed with a lot of exposed bedrock. Its over in Missouri so its pretty much flour gold with the occasional flake or tiny picker. I'm wondering what would be the best sluice to use for an area like this?

Hmm not sure. I don't use any brand name sluices. I have a sluice that was custom built. Maybe try posting a thread on the sluice section of the forum.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's lots of posts n threads about this. Have fun reading the debates!

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sluice in Nebraska for the same gold. Bazooka first then McKirk. Only way to go without customizing something.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sluice in Nebraska for the same gold. Bazooka first then McKirk. Only way to go without customizing something.

I happen to agree! Best portable, non-powered 21st century tech out there for prospectors.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought the gold n sand and it is alright as it does what it is supposed to and so far I havent broke and I can be pretty rough..But unless you are some really good gold I doubt it will ever have practical use...I only bring it now when I got some of the family kids around to give then sometin to do..But I put no stock in hand dredges as they never move enough earth to make it worth while and for me it to consider it I must be averaging at least 8 dollors an hour...It is for fun and it looks good on paper but for a prospector of intent I think he will end up seeing it as a TOY..

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought the gold n sand and it is alright as it does what it is supposed to and so far I havent broke and I can be pretty rough..But unless you are some really good gold I doubt it will ever have practical use...I only bring it now when I got some of the family kids around to give then sometin to do..But I put no stock in hand dredges as they never move enough earth to make it worth while and for me it to consider it I must be averaging at least 8 dollors an hour...It is for fun and it looks good on paper but for a prospector of intent I think he will end up seeing it as a TOY..

I have a home built one with a big intake on it. I think it's pretty necessary because you can't shovel ALL of the gold. A lot of it sinks back down in your hole when you try taking a scoop. I just use mine to clean up whatever's left on the bottom. Not sure how much that thing moves but mine rarely ever plugs and moves a lot pretty quick. The only thing is that it doesn't have a hose attached going to a bucket you just shoot the material back out the same end into a bucket. I tried using their check valves to make my own but they plugged pretty easy and I would instantly lose suction. I'm happy with the one I've got ill leave the continuous sucking to my dredge hose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread