Makin up Names

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Often when prospecting I am the habit of Naming places.. I spend alot of my time prospecting with my brother and often it's hard to describe an place we have been too or we just confuse each other on wich place we are talking about..So we started naming areas a few years back..(RUSSIANS CRACK,FOUR TREES,STRANGE METAL,WHIRLPOOL AREA,RICHARDS BAR,, THE LIST GO ON!!!! I was just wondering if any other prospectors were in the habit of naming their spots..To be honest I absolutly love naming areas and even entertain the notion of possibly making my own crude map..for fun of course.. Anyway just curious...

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I done that with a cave years back and called it What cave to help hide the location.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning MadMarshall,
I suspect that 'folks' have been giving places they've visited names since bipedal types arrived on the face of this blob we live on, IMHO. As an example my son and I call one of our loved camping spots "Snake Pit" only because there used to be a very large rattlesnake den there. My son, involving the trail to the snake pit, named a particular spot very near the top of the trail "The Three Trees of Doom" as that was where he envisioned we would be attacked by Darth Vader. There was a spot we came to where we could look across the canyon and see a very dark pool of water on the other side in a nasty/bad location for hiking and hence, The Black Pool of Death. Yup, it's been going on for a long time and I'd guess the list of names in nearly endless..............63bkpkr

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makin up names

MadMarshall, etal,

This might be a bit off-topic (not lookin fer gold.), but years ago when I lived in a different neighborhood, I became interested in hunting wild ginseng.

Luckily, there was a Nature Park about 10 minutes from my house. This park had some open grassy fields surrounded by old forest that had hills and ravines with drainage creeks at the bottom. The forest areas were very shady and the open fields sunny.

There were intersecting dirt walking paths around the upper edges of the hills and through the fields. It was a great park for nature walks, bird watching and occasional jogging.

During the Spring, Summer and Fall, I frequently visited my secret patches of ginseng, making notes in a pocket-size spiral notebook on the growth stages, whether the plants had two, three or more prongs, general height of the plants, whether there were flowers , green or red berries and how many plants there were in each patch. I also recorded compass settings and drew icons of various significant forest features so I could return to each patch easily.

This research project lasted about 5 years until my wife and I decided to move and with that my interests went in other directions.

My point here is that when you have a serious project-goal going on out in the wild, it is best to keep detailed records so you can return to specific areas and continue with the project, making progress and finally reaching your goal. Of course, there are alternate methods of recording details if you don't like to make notes, like videos, still-camera pictures or maybe you have an excellent memory (Oh God, I wish I did ! :laughing7: ).

Good luck whatever your goal might be !

ToddB64

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah... We've been naming different points in the wash here on the property. That way Robi ad I know we are talking about the same area. You get down in that wash and it pretty much all looks the same so ANY kind of landmark gets named!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During ten years of dredging years ago, I took only a couple weeks exploring the side creeks/gulches in our area of the river. As my memory fades now,
I should have taken notes/records. Iremember hiking up the steep, overgrown, poison-oak infested side creeks with just a rockpick and pan. There was gold in every creek, but aside from one small nugget, I have no idea how much, or exactly where I took the samples - dummy! I also lost a two dwt nugget when
my necklace chain broke, crashing through underbrush and over downed trees, and didn't notice til back at camp. - double-dummy:BangHead:

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I find that not only does it help with remebering places I have been or I have sampled, though the majority of places I have named are due too gold beining found. It may sound kinda dumb but I love talking to my brother and a few other individuals and using theses places as reference points it's like our own treasure map of sorts...I keep a pretty good record of places I have been(vids,notes daily averages,old trails ect ect.) good records are a must...Or every day I went out would be like starting over I think..

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Often when prospecting I am the habit of Naming places.. I spend alot of my time prospecting with my brother and often it's hard to describe an place we have been too or we just confuse each other on wich place we are talking about..So we started naming areas a few years back..(RUSSIANS CRACK,FOUR TREES,STRANGE METAL,WHIRLPOOL AREA,RICHARDS BAR,, THE LIST GO ON!!!! I was just wondering if any other prospectors were in the habit of naming their spots..To be honest I absolutly love naming areas and even entertain the notion of possibly making my own crude map..for fun of course.. Anyway just curious...

I have a whole list of names for prospects, all of them have a story behind each name all true, maybe one day i can write it all out.
we work 3 mnt ranges so we name all of our major digs, that way when we are talking about a certain area we have an exact location on the mnt were we are digging that day, as we work a big area.
heres my list.

the notch, honey bee mine, shady rest, jeannie marie, mitchels shovel, the china man, garys placer, dead mans boulder, black iguana, chinaman falls, green pelican, dead horse, the mexican, the wildfire pocket, cousin jack, the mine, elephant mine, mitchels ledge, lucky tortoise #1 #2.

thats the list of our spots we work and have played out some were fairly good to us all were dear to our hearts,thats why we gave them names, some we worked for so long we walked trails in to the mnts you can see from space, some we built rock shelters at keeping us warm in the winter and giving us a place to hang our tarp during the hot days of summer.

all in all we left behind our desert prospecting legacy.
Cpt Herb n crew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread