Looks like Quartz, is there gold there?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I come from the base of a mountain that gave up a little gold in the early 1800's.

I have a little stream at the base of that mountain.

I'm attaching a picture of a rock found in that little stream. It looks like Quartz to me. Someone said the black lines in the rock meant there was gold there.

I'd be interesting in any input from the experienced treasure hunters here!

Thanks

Attachments

• Quartz-1.JPG
    Quartz-1.JPG
    788.6 KB · Views: 12,731
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many other indicator colors as well. Quartz and gold are found together, but finding quartz doesn't mean you've found gold. The Oldtimers used to look for indications of iron while prospecting as iron and gold are good friends. Nevertheless, you'll sometimes find iron, but no gold. However, many times when I've found gold, there's iron present.

As for the black color in your quartz, there can be other minerals that will color it so. If in your particular area black is an indicator of gold in the quartz, then you need to look sharp.

If you're in an area of free-milling gold (gold you can pan out after crushing the host rock), then crush your sample and pan it.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your input. I'm about 2 miles from the 1800's strike on the same side of the mountain. I don't believe they found very much. I tried to do some very quick panning several years ago - in the Winter, so my patience wore out quickly. There was lots of black sand in the pan, but I didn't see any gold specs. Got a pan set from Kellyco and just did it quickly, and never tried again. Saw some panning videos on here and I was doing it wrong anyway. And, I should pick up a magnet somewhere.

Mighty pretty rock, should I crush it up anyway? I should have thought of running the detector over it.

Roger

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
More pics Quartz-2.JPG Quartz-3.JPG Quartz-4.JPG Quartz-5.JPG

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come from the base of a mountain that gave up a little gold in the early 1800's.

I have a little stream at the base of that mountain.

I'm attaching a picture of a rock found in that little stream. It looks like Quartz to me. Someone said the black lines in the rock meant there was gold there.

I'd be interesting in any input from the experienced treasure hunters here!

Thanks

DeepseekerADS,

I would focus on panning that little stream where you found that piece of quartz.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

BrianT. Booth

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not do both? Crush and pan the rock, and pan the stream as well. Lots of videos on youtube on how to pan if you need pointers. There's a panning link on the goldprospecting thread. I'll go see if I can find it for you.

If you were panning before and had lots of black sand--get in there and pan again. Black sand is an indicator if there's any gold around it should be hiding under or very close (one side or the other) to that black sand.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/327445-gold-panning-video.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny, that was GREAT :)

I subscribed to that thread, there seem to be almost endless links with a ton of information. This coming weekend brings a new E-Trac to me and that pan set from Garrett are coming out of my attic as well. I will do both, crush the rock and pan, and pan the stream as well. But first I think I'll pan the stream.

That rock is very very heavy!

Thank you for the guidance! I will certainly let you know my results. I do anticipate it will take some time though. Who knows! I may end up giving up metal detecting for panning :)

The best to you as well!

Roger

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, that was GREAT :)

I subscribed to that thread, there seem to be almost endless links with a ton of information. This coming weekend brings a new E-Trac to me and that pan set from Garrett are coming out of my attic as well. I will do both, crush the rock and pan, and pan the stream as well. But first I think I'll pan the stream.

Or
Thank you for the guidance! I will certainly let you know my results. I do anticipate it will take some time though. Who knows! I may end up giving up metal detecting for panning :)

The best to you as well!

Roger

You might also want to check out the Falcon MD 20. Its great for locating gold in streams. I'm going to use it as a guide for where I should pan for gold. I gold pan in the Appalachians. Can't wait to see what this machine can put into my pan.

Brian T. Booth

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS
Lanny, that was GREAT
smiley.gif

Or
Thank you for the guidance! I will certainly let you know my results. I do anticipate it will take some time though. Who knows! I may end up giving up metal detecting for panning
smiley.gif

The best to you as well!

Roger

You might also want to check out the Falcon MD 20. Its great for locating gold in streams. I'm going to use it as a guide for where I should pan for gold. I gold pan in the Appalachians. Can't wait to see what this machine can put into my pan.

Brian T. Booth

No problem Roger--you're most welcome, and the advice about the Falcon you've just been given from Brian is spot-on as well.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm.....

Now, if I find even just a trace, that Falcon MD 20 looks like a real possibility. I Googled it, and looked at the Falcon Metal Detectors website. For $250, if there's gold there, it might pay for itself very quickly.

And, as a note, I've seen You Tube videos of gold panning in the New River of Virginia, one of the 3 oldest rivers in the world, and also one of the three which flow North. And color was found, just random panning in the river.

So, those guys from Kanetuck might outta drive over the mountains!

My property has been in my family for as much as 270 years. This past weekend, my mother told me that her grandfather said there is copper on the property. Mom is 87. I don't believe I've want to tear this property up just for copper, but panning it myself could be plenty entertaining. H..... I'll be 64 soon, wonder if panning might influence my retirement age :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions