Gpoc claim locations

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Attend at least one of their meetings and (if you are a member), ask for club claim information. Most clubs don't publish their private claims on a open forum.

There are plenty of open claim sites (as well as pay to dig sites) in Colorado anyone can go to. You can find some maps of the major Gold sites in Colorado (based on a recent Colorado Gov Mineral publication - as well as a hand drawn map) here:

Maps (Colorado Springs GPAA web site Maps Link)

I go out on weekends (spring/summer/fall) all over the state. What do you consider a reasonable distance?

The place in the Photos is on Clear Creek in Denver (taken March 16th 2013) - they got gold.

Attachments

• ClearCreek5.jpg
    ClearCreek5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 297
  • ClearCreek1.jpg
    ClearCreek1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
My best experience in Colorado was at a place called Cache Creek. It's located on Hwy.24 about 15 miles north of Buena Vista. It's a BLM area dedicated to recreational gold prospecting. Open to the public. No club fees or camping fees. Up to 14 days. Plenty of camp sites close to digging. Drive right up to them. All you need is a pan and shovel, (some suction tweezers and a bottle). The gate-host has everything else. You can rent sluices, highbankers, hoses and pumps for 20 % of your daily clean-out from him. There are also regulars there who'll let you join their team as a digger for a percentage of the cleanout, (if you don't feel confident about runnin the equipment yourself). There are Porta-Johns at the gate (A big plus). As for the gold ? A little girl found a $500 dollar nugget while i was there.

OP
OP
TNminer

TNminer

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
I have been to cache creek and love it. Just looking to find other spots as well yunno? It hard here in colorado to find somewhere it is legal to prospect. Especially when you live a couple hours away from good gold country. I can't go and explore as much as I want due to gas prices.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't legally run any motorized gear at Cache Creek Colorado anymore (gas or battery powered) - It was possible up until a few years ago, but not anymore.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tnminer, there really are lots of great places you can go...just not near CO Springs as its in the wrong spot. Up here in Denver you can hit the South Platte thru town and much of clear creek...and a few other streams too. Lots of fun to prospect right here in town 12 months a year in my case'

Join a club, make a friend or just read lots of posts in these forums...choose your path and go get the gold!

OP
OP
TNminer

TNminer

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Definetly Kevin, thanks for the info. I would say that the places in Denver are the closest and best for me at the moment. What's the water flow up there looking like this time of year? I know the snow melt will be hitting shortly. Also is there any tricks for the gold on those streams? I know it's flood gold so it's best to look in the stream bed, right?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definetly Kevin, thanks for the info. I would say that the places in Denver are the closest and best for me at the moment. What's the water flow up there looking like this time of year?

>>>pretty high n fast water some places right now due to the snowmelt...definitely more challenging but still fun.

I know the snow melt will be hitting shortly. Also is there any tricks for the gold on those streams?

>>>Sure...dig! Sample, dig, sample ....find the streak.

I know it's flood gold so it's best to look in the stream bed, right?

>>>Right...always stay in the wet zone when in town, gotta follow the rules! No motors on the water either...and please leave it cleaner than you found it. I think it was RussAU who taught me to always bring a trash bag and collect any trash before you start prospecting. Makes your area nicer to be in while you are there and makes a great illustration of your good intentions if challenged by anyone!!!

Last edited:

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Battery Operated pumps are allowed on Clear Creek in Denver. You need to use sealed batteries (no removeable plugs to add water allowed), and the battery needs a drip plate (ie. a plastic box that it will fit into - you don't need a top on the drip box/plate). The battery can't be on the shore, it needs to find a dry place in the the creek.

If you are running a Sluice, there should be enough water flow for you.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
These pictures are from my Easter 2013 trip to Clear Creek using my Gold Cube. I use 1/8 inch hardware cloth over the top of the Gold Cube (hard to find - ordered from Amazon). You can see the setup - the battery is in a plastic bin in case it leaks acid, it does not end up in the water.

The hole I dug was about 18 inches deep by the time I quit digging. I dump the classified material on the 1/8 inch hardware cloth and then pull the water line from the Gold Cube and use it to wash the material into the Gold Cube. When done - hook the hose back up to the Gold Cube.

The bilge pump was in the water next to the battery. The wash out from the Gold Cube dump into the creek again. I didn't use a stand for the Gold Cube - I piled rocks around the base until it was level.

When I was done, I had only about a cup of concentrates - with gold in it. I was there for around 3 hours.

Attachments

• GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-a.jpg
    GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-a.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 209
  • GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-b.jpg
    GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-b.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 208
  • GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-d.jpg
    GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-d.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 220
  • GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-c.jpg
    GoldCubeClearCreek20120331-c.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a smart, creative way to use a gold cube...nice work!

Nuggetderrick

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevin, I'm a fellow Gold Prospector of the Rockies, and you've mentioned before you have gotten decent gold in the Platte. Is it pretty much scattered in the Platte or is there a section that seems better? I could not believe the guy that found that jar of coins found it right on top of the rocks. Crazy.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Derrick,
That coin stash last night sure was cool! Wonder how you remove the concrete without damaging the coins?

In metro Denver there are decent spots on the Platte and spots devoid of gold. I look for different situations:
- spots where the bedrock (hard clay really) is shallow such as Grant Frontier Park or Frog Hollow Park
- cobble bars with visible rocks the size of baseballs (or bigger!)
- River bends and drops such as n of Alemeda or Big Bend at Steele north of 78th ave
- places the river is still in its natural bed (these are rare) or at least not moved/engineered in a long time (evidenced by old trees and old bridges)

Overall the gold has good showings here and there from Englewood downstream into Adams County!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread