Where can geocomunnicator style mine claim shape files be found online?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the mine claim geocommunicator map has been taken down at BLM, I have been scouring the internet for mine claim shape files, but have had zero luck. These are not the files like mc_120313.zip you can easily find on BLM, I am talking about the data files that show the actual shape and size of each claim, just like it used to show them on geocommunicator map. I am posting to see if anyone knows where to get that information? I can image the data with software a friend of mine has once I have the files, so that is not an issue. Please post the URL where they can be found if you know. Thanks.

Upvote 0

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cannot be found online. You need to go to the County Recorders or BLM to see the actual filing papers. Geocommunicator never did show the actual claim boundaries, just an approximation. All I used it for was to look for previously claimed property. I surely wouldn't have depended upon it to find active claims.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW it cannot be found online, but those specific claim shapes and data were once posted on the geocommunicator map. I just got off the phone with the BLM office in Denver. I was told that info was removed because it wasn't verified as correct by the feds prior to putting it out on the web as factual. So now they require you to go to each claim on LR2000 to get the claim maps one by one instead of providing them in a searchable map format.

It seems our need to know and the ability to provide accurate info with current internet technology have not been kept up with by BLM or USGS, and they got ahead of themselves when they released that on the geocommunicator map. I wish they would upgrade and get that information back to the public.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Geocomm info was never accurate. I have a 160 ac claim and the geocomm said it was half a section. Not to mention it is probably one of the most unfriendly computer programs I have ever used. I figured that they took it offline because they didn't want encourage the riff-raff (us).

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, probably so. However, in the areas I plan on prospecting this summer in CO, the claims were once shown as odd sized polygons on the geocommunicator map that were often not square sections. I have maps based on current BLM files that show sections with claims, but the whole sections are often not claimed, just a polygon within it.

My only goal is to avoid infringing on another person's mineral rights. Not everyone is looking for a claim to stake, or a commercial enterprise to open. Some of us just want to detect and snipe for nuggets, and do some simple sluicing and panning while camping with family.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread