My brother wants to start Gold prospecting with a sleuce, would like advice please
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My brother wants to start Gold prospecting with a sleuce, would like advice please

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Beep, beep, Darn! Another pull tab!

Mar 2013
    Near Stockton California
    Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
    60 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

My brother wants to start Gold prospecting with a sleuce, would like advice please

My brother is interested in prospecting for gold. He has no experience.

Anyway, he has identified a sleuce box he wants to try and plans on going to the South Fork of the American River or Merced River, here in California.

Before he starts spending money on equipment, I was wondering if anyone has advice for him? i.e. brand and type of sleuce box, minimal equipment, avoiding claim sites and etc...
    I know he will need at least a sleuce box, shovel and a bucket...not to mention his brain and some knowledge on where to find gold.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

-Joanne

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    441 times
    What timing. There's a Gold & Treasure Expo this weekend at the fairgrounds in Turlock. I'm sure he'll get all the friendly advice he needs: GPAA Gold & Treasure Expo - Goldshow Articles

enjoy-
    kuger and midnightmoon like this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5487 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by EmptyPockets View Post
    My brother is interested in prospecting for gold. He has no experience.

Anyway, he has identified a sleuce box he wants to try and plans on going to the South Fork of the American River or Merced River, here in California.

Before he starts spending money on equipment, I was wondering if anyone has advice for him? i.e. brand and type of sleuce box, minimal equipment, avoiding claim sites and etc...
    I know he will need at least a sleuce box, shovel and a bucket...not to mention his brain and some knowledge on where to find gold.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

-Joanne
    Since he's a green rookie,

Pick a sluice that has a frame that holds it firmly in place or one that is able to be weighted in such a way so that it won't go rocketing down the stream on him.

I'd suggest you watch some youtube videos on stream or river sluices to get an idea of what I'm talking about, and have him watch some videos as well.

I started a thread on here somewhere about gold panning that has some great links as well--I'll see if I can find it later today and I'll post the link on here for you.

All the best,

Lanny
    Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    Fullpan, kuger, calisdad and 1 others like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Mar 2011
    124 times
    Sluices are tricky and darn hard to set up proper. Every situation is different. Videos on the internet won't help much in the field. Best bet is to partner up with an Ole' Timer and learn from him. If he does go to the Expo, try to convince him to leave his money in his pocket, and concentrate on making contacts instead. That would be a good start.

Mar 2011
    124 times
    Think about it. How do you learn to play golf ? Do you start out buying a thousand dollars worth of titanium clubs ? Will watchin videos make you a great golfer ? Not likely. Stick with the house clubs first and find an expert who's willing to play a few rounds of golf with you and teach you something. How do you become good ? By playing against the BEST. That's how.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Good analogy Cat - I learned to play golf by caddying, watching golfers of all skill levels up close, and getting paid! Then I got hand-me-down/throwaway
    clubs and started playing for free on "caddies day" - found golf balls for free - got swing tips from the club pro for free. Life got in the way for many years, and when
    I picked up the game again, almost had to mortgage the house as I suddenly was paying "retail" for EVERYTHING!!
    Last edited by Fullpan; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

us
    Beep, beep, Darn! Another pull tab!

Mar 2013
    Near Stockton California
    Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
    60 times
    Thank you everyone for your excellent advice.
    I will encourage him to hook up with someone that has experience from one of the local clubs and such.
    The Treasure and Gold Expo sounds like a great idea. We'll try to go and see what that's all about.
    I really, really don't want him to spend allot of money on something that may not pan out. (Pun intended).

-Joanne
    Fullpan and Aurabbit79er like this.

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
    344 times
    Sluicing is great, but make sure he understands everything starts with panning! No use setting up that sluice untill you sample an area with the pan & see if it's worth the time. Pan multiple areas & then set up the sluice in the best area.
    Let me put it this way. Primarily, the pan is a prospecting device. The sluice is a mining device. We prospect for a good spot to mine. We pan to find a place to sluice.
    I personaly like the Angus Mckirk sluices & have had good luck with the Keenes.
    Last edited by Vance in AK; Mar 22, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Vance - I've never heard it explained better than that!

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
    344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    Vance - I've never heard it explained better than that!
    I'm a simple feller so I try & explain things in a way that even I could understand

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5487 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewCatfish View Post
    Sluices are tricky and darn hard to set up proper. Every situation is different. Videos on the internet won't help much in the field. Best bet is to partner up with an Ole' Timer and learn from him. If he does go to the Expo, try to convince him to leave his money in his pocket, and concentrate on making contacts instead. That would be a good start.
    Nothin' beats a Sourdough (Oldtimer) if you can find one, that's for sure, but if you can't, you can learn all kinds of things from watching the videos on panning and sluicing.

I'm going to find that link for you: Gold Panning Video

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I'll bump the thread for you too.
    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Mar 22, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    8709 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Sluicing is great, but make sure he understands everything starts with panning! No use setting up that sluice untill you sample an area with the pan & see if it's worth the time. Pan multiple areas & then set up the sluice in the best area.
    Let me put it this way. Primarily, the pan is a prospecting device. The sluice is a mining device. We prospect for a good spot to mine. We pan to find a place to sluice.
    I personaly like the Angus Mckirk sluices & have had good luck with the Keenes.
    Good work, Vance. Prospecting and mining are often used interchangeably but you nailed it! I remember a "pro" was going to his "play"-cer mine. Ok, buddy. Tnx for the words, Vance. TTC
    The Devil whispered in my ear, "You are weak and will not weather the storm". I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I am the storm".

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    839 times
    Like the saying goes.... Keep it simple stupid. Great job Vance!

B H Prospector

us
    Aug 2012
    Motherload
    258 times
    I think if you look in Craigslist Sacramento or contact the gold mining shop in Auburn there is a guy who will take you mining ie panning sluicing on the American RIver near Salmon Falls Bridge or by Auburn for like $60 for the day. He will show you how to use equipment and you get to keep the gold. Might be cheaper to see if he likes it first than to spend money for lots of equipment.

us
    Dec 2012
    Arizona
    224 times
    Prospecting
    I'm prejudiced I suppose so I would say my sluice is easy to use for a beginner. But really if he just picks something in a size and price range that is going to be right for him to learn with, that's a good start.

Like it was stated in an earlier post, he really does need to know how to pan, and to pan quickly. It's all about testing an area and seeing where to use your sluice. If he can't pan out a pan quickly, in a minute or so, then he isn't going to be able to sample much in a day. When sampling you are not trying to get every last little speck of gold, but just determine if the area has enough gold or not to bother with. I quickly shake down the sample dirt in the pan in a period of 30 seconds, then just knock off the top 1/2 of it to reduce the quantity, then pan down from there, to see what's in a test area. Takes me a minute or so to do.

The other thing I suggest is that he be careful that he is not trespassing on some other person's claim. Have him walk the area at least a 1/4 mile in all directions around where he plans to work and look for white claim stakes, and if he finds them, look for the master stake with the claim information on it to determine just where the claim is located.
    Jeff95531 likes this.
    Tyranny is seldom grandiose or obvious. It comes in small doses generally, like a very subtle poison in your day to day life, administered by those near you who have been brainwashed, who are unknowingly acting as a proxy for the tyrant at the top, far removed. Think about that the next time someone gives you a rational reason to modify or restrict or license your rights, 1st, 2nd or any other. This can only benefit the real tyrant ultimately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links