FeMontero

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2012
Montclair, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before my vacation to Costa Rica 2 weeks ago, I heard that there were a few places people had found gold in a few rivers/streams. So wanting to find out for myself I packed my folding sluice box and gold pan.
Well needless to say, after lots of talking to locals and scoping out a few locations, I finally hit a nice spot where I found very thin flakes.
Although not as much as I hoped for, It was a great experience none the less and will be a place where I will return.

IMG_0097.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3781.jpg

Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet FeMontero, that's some fine looking gold. The photos remind me the north coast here in redwood country. Different plant species, but lush vegetation and lots of water. Our gold is a nice buttery color like that you found as well.

Any problems with prospecting where you went. Rules, equipment etc.?

Thanks

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
femontero

Costa Rica is a beautiful country ! I have lived here for 15 years. the mining laws are tuff and getting worse. a total ban on all open pit mining. that includes dredging and hi banking. about the only thing you can legally do is pan and sluice no pumps. down south on the osa peninsula there is a lot of gold. rio Tigre at the town of Tigre. guys shoving into a river sluice getting about a gram a day. seems like all the big gold and heavy concentrations are up river inside the park. it is closed to all mining. Costa Rica is a great place for a vacation , not a great place to mine gold.

bill/cr

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Shine . I've been there on vacation twice . Never even thought about gold
hunt'n .................. but the off shore fishing was nice .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCR be d man n place and I went down for a 3 week looksey and them caymen,vermen and environutz rule the place,no,no never for mining of any significance for me-John

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is still some gold that can be taken in some places. Not overly abundant, so if gold is the purpose then California is better but if one wants to add a prospecting experience to the vacation package then it would work wonderfully for you. So, here is my take: 2 g in two days.

Costa Rican Gold March 2013.jpg

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is still some gold that can be taken in some places. Not overly abundant, so if gold is the purpose then California is better but if one wants to add a prospecting experience to the vacation package then it would work wonderfully for you. So, here is my take: 2 g in two days.

Did you get yours on a vacation package at a hotel on the osa peninsula?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FWIW, I have a sister that lives out on the Osa Peninsula. She does custom
tours for all kinds of groups, and next time we chat I'm going to have to ask
her about setting up a prospecting trip.

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW, I have a sister that lives out on the Osa Peninsula. She does custom
tours for all kinds of groups, and next time we chat I'm going to have to ask
her about setting up a prospecting trip.

Interesting. I go to CR every year, sometimes twice, but still there are places I want to visit including some gold bearing areas

pirateruben

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
planning on trip out myself next year.can't wait to get stuck in

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
well guys , if you come to Costa Rica I have a small hotel in samara up on the Nicoya peninsula. www.fenixhotel.com I don’t have any gold tours and the closest gold mining is illegal hard rock about 2 hours away. for placer tours the osa is the best. panning and sluicing is about all you can expect. when you are in Costa Rica and want to relax on the beach , this is it.

bill/cr

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do the locals get upset if Americans are sluicing and panning down there? In other words is it dangerous to be out there if you are not on a tour in case I decide to retire and live on or near the osa someday?

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
the miners in Costa Rica are like miners everywhere, the love to talk mining. they love to show you how to pan using a betea. they will let you use their sluice… they are not going to show you where the best gold is. they are hard working simple folks. you respect them and that will go a long ways. there are bad apples in every group of people. it is no different in Costa Rica. keep your eyes open and have a great time! I have lived here for 16 years and have no bad stories to tell… at least that were caused by costaricans…. gringos …. now that’s another story.

bill/cr

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear. I had read some scary stories about San Jose but then I have also read about some Mexico cities that make it sound like there are gangs and drug wars everywhere. Sort of like a "Jungle Gold" episode. I was considering retiring either to Costa Rica or Belize as I hear the cost of living is cheaper than here in the US. I think it might be harder to find a place to sluice in Costa Rica than Belize but I only had 1 year of Spanish in High School and that was 38 years ago.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FeMontero,
I must ask about your pictures, first the top two pictures and only the one on the right shows a picture of rocks and bushes. Unless my eyes are doing weird things to me this evening I can see carvings on the tallest rock - can you comment on this please!

The country is lovely at least from a distance and the cameras lens softens the land but I suspect it is a bit tough to hike through. The gold you show is nice and will be a pleasant reminder of your South American Adventure. Thank you for sharing with us........................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Juan and San Jose are good places to get in DEEP kaka. Beautiful country,great folks Puro Vida but dangerous in them big cities. Museum of gold in San Jose absolutely mind boggling-atv through the jungles ,ridgetops above San Juan crazy fun. BUT armed guards everywhere,tour busses with armed guards in front back on bikes,resorts 24/7 ak47 toting guards, all the time. Went from sea to sea and a cool place to visit but not to live for me.Cool to watch Arienal volcano glow at night whilst drinkn' and partying my brains out as ONLY place I saw with a POLICE force to protect you. Cleanest place I saw and no hookers everywhere,just clean happy folks. In 20 days I was bummed and never made it up to visit BCR and KenNCR passed prior to my visit-REAL BUMMER. Supposed to be great surf/diving near Hotel Felix and remodel rocks bigtime!!!John

Attachments

• 100_0132.jpg
    100_0132.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_0195.jpg
    100_0195.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0232.jpg
    100_0232.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 187

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
just gotta say 63bkpkr that costa rica is in central america. north of panama and south of nicaragua.

bill/cr

FeMontero,
I must ask about your pictures, first the top two pictures and only the one on the right shows a picture of rocks and bushes. Unless my eyes are doing weird things to me this evening I can see carvings on the tallest rock - can you comment on this please!

The country is lovely at least from a distance and the cameras lens softens the land but I suspect it is a bit tough to hike through. The gold you show is nice and will be a pleasant reminder of your South American Adventure. Thank you for sharing with us........................63bkpkr

pablob

May 14, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT3, Garrett Ace250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just gotta say 63bkpkr that costa rica is in central america. north of panama and south of nicaragua.

bill/cr

Thanks for the Central America correction. I live in Alajuela (8 years), and I just brought down a Garrett Ace250 and a set of pans to try my luck. I have a friend that lives pretty close to the Osa and people dive out in front of his house with just a mask and snorkel and have brought up some beautiful nuggets out of the ocean. It goes against everything you would think, but I've seen them. The largest I've heard of was 23 grams, but I've seen his neighbor's that run from 2 to 12 grams. They are finding them at the mouth of a small river, so that's where I intend to pan. I'll let you know how it works out for me,.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
I have a infinium L S by Garrett that I have taken to the Osa and have done some beach hunting. I am getting ready to take another trip down south very soon. my grandsons want to surf and I will do a little detecting.

bill/cr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread