My FIne Gold Recovery System - Blue Bowl - Fossickers Gold Pan - Photos

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is my fine gold recovery system. Thought this would be easier than using a 5 gallon bucket. As you can see I have a leveling system to level the center cone as this is very important when using a blue bowl, simply place a level on the top of the cone and level the bowl both directions. I am using a Fossickers Gold Pan as a small sluice to capture any fine gold that I may lose while learning how to recover gold at different size concentrates. Yes the Fossicker gold pan is overkill but it can be removed easily and used as a pan if needed. The raised drain keeps the concentrate contained within the black tub while keeping it from entering the recirculating tanks. The pump in the photos has been replaced with an Atwood submersible 1200 GPH pump. The first video shows the entire system.

Fine Gold 17.jpg Fine Gold 12.jpg Fine Gold 18.jpg Fine Gold 20.jpg

The video where I was processing the paydirt I screwed up and answered a phone call after making an adjustment in the water level. Lost all the gold out the bowl, but it was recovered and rerun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Nice...very nice setup.
If ya cant catch the fines with that setup ... ya never will. :icon_thumleft:

UDigIt

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assume concept. Dude where do you come up with these ideas? I liked your Vac-Blower you built and now this gold recovery system is cool and compact. The pan used as a sluice is outstanding. Very neat setup and well thought out, I am going to copy your setup if it’s ok with you. Where did you get the fossicker pan from?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before I get TOO old, I have to perfect my Blue Bowl technique. Got a working grasp but need to get better. TTC

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I use Kieth is a 750 gph bilge pump hooked to a car battery. If the battery gets too weak I hook up my charger to it and hook the pump back up and continue working. Works good for me. I just can't get over how awsome your set up is! Again Great Job!!!

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what I use Kieth is a 750 gph bilge pump hooked to a car battery. If the battery gets too weak I hook up my charger to it and hook the pump back up and continue working. Works good for me. I just can't get over how awsome your set up is! Again Great Job!!!

Jim I did make one slight change to the mounting of the Blue Bowl. I rotated the Blue Bowl so the inlet was parallel to the rear mount. This placed the center hole of the Blue Bowl more to the top of the Fossickers pan. When I ran the system the water dumped onto the riffles. Now the water dumps closer to the top of the Fossickers pan. If any gold is lost out of the Blue Bowl it will be caught at the bottom of the pan before the first riffle. I will post updated photos soon. Thanks for the comments.

Hefty1, Udigit, vpnavy, TerryC, Jimmydolittle, Reed Lukens, and Joel1316 thank you all as well. This is a great forum where we all can learn from each other.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As mentioned above I have rotated the Blue Bowl. In the photo you can see where the light is now casting on the Fossickers Gold Pan. I have decided to add two 15 gallon barrels to the system. One of the barrels will collect the discharged water/concentrate while the other barrel will supply fresh water. A 2 inch PVC pipe will be installed between the two barrels.

I did run the system and while trying to figure out the water height on the Blue Bowl and lost gold out of the Blue Bowl. But the Fossickers Gold Pan did as it was designed to do and recaptured the gold that had spilled over the center cone.

finegold10.jpg

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Hi AzViper,
I mean no disrespect I'm pretty new to prospecting, to me most of the material in the vial looks like quartz. The reason I'm commenting is I have given a lot of thought to my next equipment purchase being a blue bowl. So i guess I'm looking for conformation that what you have there is gold. I've never used the bluebowl, or have I seen it used except for utube videos. I'm just trying to get more info on the bowl before I buy, it seems kinda of pricey.

OBD

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like leaverite to me too...not gold.

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
Hey Kevin,

Have you used the blue bowl , if so what's your opinion?
And if anyone else cares to respond I have another question, can I play with it to possibly retain some of the garnets in the concentrates. I know there's no real value to the garnet chips I just have some craft ideas I want to use them for.
OBD

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, no blue bowl experience. Those things are too slow for me, I can pan faster so that's how I process my final cons. There are lots of finish processing options out there but for me a $3 10 inch black Keene finishing pan is all I need. (Well, that and 20 & 50 mesh classifying screens and a magnet and a suction pipette and a 10x magnifying loop and a ceramic soap dish to do the final removal of the very last contaminants in the gold...I guess that's plenty right? LOL)

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
Almost sound like Steve Martin in the jerk, Kevin, ...... And this lamp, and the chair, and your dog and that's all you need lol.
But I think your right, I'll just stick to the panning for now, I need to still concentrate on moving more material and getting out there more. Thanks for the reply.
OBD

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:-D ...get out there and dig!

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
Yep !!!!!!

I was hoping the new time change would add maybe 24hrs to the day guess not. I did change my shift at work maybe that will help???
OBD

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi AzViper,
I mean no disrespect I'm pretty new to prospecting, to me most of the material in the vial looks like quartz. The reason I'm commenting is I have given a lot of thought to my next equipment purchase being a blue bowl. So i guess I'm looking for conformation that what you have there is gold. I've never used the bluebowl, or have I seen it used except for utube videos. I'm just trying to get more info on the bowl before I buy, it seems kinda of pricey.

OBD

After looking at it under a 25x lighted bench mounted magnifying glass you are correct. Only about 5 pieces were gold. I suppose my eyes are not what they use to be... LOL

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear it does the job Kieth. I agree your new set up looks like it would work better. Like you said too centered before. Great job!

@dogg, I use the blue bowl and love it. Don't want to argue with you Kevin 'ol pal but blue bowl much more efficient than panning even though slower. And if you have to pan the cons a few times to get all the gold you're not gaining much in my opinion. Thats my two cents for what its worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread