Tellico plains tn

tnTesoro

Jun 24, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its prohibited in some areas. I think the Cherokee Forest is one of them.

tnTesoro

Jun 24, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late but here ya go:

USE OF METAL DETECTORS ON THE CHEROKEE NATIONAL FOREST
Pursuant to Title 36 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR), Section 261.50 (a) and (b) and Forest Wide Closure Order No. 344, signed by the Forest Supervisor and dated January 26, 2009 use of metal detectors, electronic apparatus and devices used for locating metal is prohibited for any purpose except in the following swimming beach areas:
• Mac Point Recreation Area Beach
• Parksville Beach
• Chilhowee Recreation Area Beach ...

OP
OP
D

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Cool that helps haven't do any detecting yet but planning on it

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool that helps haven't do any detecting yet but planning on it

David,

The Bald River Wilderness and Citigo Wilderness areas are totally off-limits for any Gold Prospecting or doing much of anything other than hiking and sight-seeing. It sounds as if you may have been in or very close to the Bald River Wilderness, so you must be extra careful if you pick up anything. There serious fines and prosecution for taking or disturbing anything in the Wildernesses as well as for Gold prospecting in them. I have sometimes found it difficult to determine the boundaries of these from the cheap-a$$ and poorly defined maps that they provide at the Tellico Ranger Station. You might want to invest in updated and well defined USGS Topo Maps for these areas. Give me a ring and I can enlighten of some of these areas.

Frank

OP
OP
D

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Yea I have that very cheap map lol and yes it is hard to tell exact boundaries I bet around the bald river falls would be a great place to prospect to

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I have that very cheap map lol and yes it is hard to tell exact boundaries I bet around the bald river falls would be a great place to prospect to

Yeah and that is one of the reasons they designated a Wilderness (i.e. to keep prospectors out because there is supposed to be quite a bit of Gold in there).

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be interesting if we could hit that area good

You just don't know how bad I would love to do that! However, I wouldn't like losing my' truck and everything in it as well as being fined and possibly serving some time behind bars. A few years back, a couple was sneaking up Citigo Creek inside the Wilderness and getting Gold, then going around selling it semi-locally. Well, they got caught but I never heard what punishments they got.

Frank

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread