Prospecting
DSCF0936.jpg DSCF1522.JPG DSCF1532.JPG DSCF1548.jpg DSCF1587.JPG DSCF1584.JPG

Upvote 0

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love the pic of the little miner. Get em started young!

Me too . Little dude inspecting his pannings pic is cool . He looks " matter of fact " about it .

I love gold hunt'n .......... but I would love it a lot less at minus 50 .

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
That looks like a story you could tell in a warm house and feel the cold coming off the words fifty below. The pics just remind me of my coldest days. That little prospector is getting that color! Reminds me of my little guy lol. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
only one more month until the ground starts to thaw, all the river/creek beds are frozen solid like concrete right now so the only material i can get is off one of the roads that i helped build that used gravel from a small creek with a small amount of very very fine gold, but hey when it's below zero i'm lucky to even be able to pan inside so i'm not complaining, had some time to burn this winter so i am working on building a rocker box just because it doesn't need any running water or water pumps since gasoline here cost 9 dollars a gallon

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Holy cow 9 dollars a gallon?!? That's crazy. I know there is people on this forum that run high bankers off big batteries for hours. That might be a good alternative for you if you can get running water for a river sluice

OP
OP
BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i think a battery would work in the summer it usually gets 100+ degrees in mid june, i have a couple atv batteries but i think i need something a little bigger if i wanted to run for a decent amount of time

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Hey BL Goldpanner, where are you? Neet to see the family panning together! Any gold is good gold at those temps. We finally had a couple of nights out of single digits here.

OP
OP
BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i'm 155 miles north of fairbanks, where are you? not very good gold right now only material i can get is off the shoulders of a road down toward the river here and the gold is flood gold and it's very very fine, i'm only using a gold pan and a plastic tub inside not finding enough to pay for anything but still having fun, just started looking for gold here last summer, but i have some big plans for the coming summer it should be fun. i just cant wait for all the snow to melt and theres alot of it, winter just doesn't seem to want to let go. i bought a keene a52 last summer but was too busy to really try it out with any good pay gravel. i'm at the edge of the chandalar mining district so i know there is gold here i just have to go dig and find it

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'm almost 700 miles from you. I'm in Kenai.
Summer is on the way (or so they promise so hopefully you will get to get out & play a bit. Are you in a village (which one), on the haul rd.?

by the way, I love the fact that you have "husband & father" listed near your name. You have your priorities in order!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i'm in the village of Venetie it's not on the haul road, only way in and out is by plane/boat/snowmachine, but the land i'm sitting on belongs to me and everybody else in my tribe not to a corporation and theres alot of land so i'm just waiting for summer to come to go out and find AU with my wife and my 20 month old daughter. she cant get enough of the outdoors wakes me up some mornings with her winter gear in hand wanting to go outside even with a couple feet of snow on everything, being a husband and father is the best job i have ever had loving every minute of it. I was wondering i'm new to prospecting do i need a permit to prospect using sluice/highbanker/dredge if i am doing it on my own private property not a claim?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions