Recirculating Highbanker w/ Vortex Sand Separator

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working on adding a vortex sand separator to my recirculating highbanker. Comments welcome:icon_thumleft:
This is my 3rd generation system. Our first system produced 20-24 buckets of -1/2" material before it required a water change. Last years system was improved with a tailing screen that prevented +60 meterial from entering the supply tank and tested a few filter options with poor results; however we still managed to run 30-34 buckets before changing the water. The new system should filter the -60 material into the vortex tank increasing the water life. Our goal is to create a system that is self-contained for use in dry areas or next to the river... Still have a long way to go!

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I am heading out to film another episode this morning, but for sure I will watch + comment when I get home.

OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished up the carb rebuild and installed the new structural foam vortex tank and tested the system.

OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked on the tailing sluice and added the slurry duct to direct the slurry into the vortex. I then set up the system and ran some material to see how everything worked. I found a few problems with the tailing sluice; leaks & a better slurry duct design. The vortex seems to work as hoped but there are still a few refinements needed; a clean out & better lid seal. I'm also realizing that my little WX15 will not provide enough flow if I add the canister filters as it is working very hard to power up the vortex. Regardless, I feel that I'm heading in the right direction.

OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vortex Update

I finally finished up the vortex tank and did some field testing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran 56 buckets of -1/2"material and could have run more. Used some Alum to clean up the supply water and found some chunky gold on another AMRA claim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back out to the AMRA claim, monsters, rain and the ice cream cart...

Last edited:
OP
OP
RotGrub

RotGrub

Jun 13, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished up our test pit on the AMRA claim, time to move south...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread