New power jet design idea?!?!

snowiejoe

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
So I've been thinking along the line of building pressure. I've read all the different designs and which ones are the best. From worst to best. Power jet, jet nozzle, then infinity jet. Well these are all great designs but I have one that may be even better. ... I'm a firefighter and e way our pumps work is like this. It's a series to build pressure or parallel to build volume. So, to build pressure which is what we want to build suction. Why not take a 10 ft tube and at one side put a jet to start pushing the water, and then on down the line put another jet to push the already accelerated water even faster. Etc etc. seems like this would be the best pump scenario to me. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good day,

Good to meet a fellow firefighter. I worked for the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management for the past 15 years as a Battalion Chief and recently was medically retired due to a broken back. Enjoy the great career while your body lasts!!

Ok now on to you questions, they do make power jets that run off of 2 pumps for parallel pumping already. These are on larger dredges (over like 5 inch) and utilize 2 2" pressure pumps to operate them. I'll attach a pic below. As far as series or tandem pumping for a dredge operation that would double your pressure but won't increase your actual flow rate. Honestly I think this would do more harm than good as dredge fittings and appliances aren't designed to operate those higher pressures and double the pressure and velocity of rocks and material heading into your sluice box could be quite the mess or blow right out the end.

Any more ideas forum folks???

PJ5T2.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To dredge at extreme depths,extreme hose length or huge dredges that's exactly what ya do. On a 10" dual vw and 1200gpm precision pumps dual jets is beneficial for depths greater than 35' or hoses bigger than 8". At 50' 3-of the same required on a 10" and blackness surrounds you...John

Attachments

• 100_0650.JPG
    100_0650.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_0649.JPG
    100_0649.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_0646.JPG
    100_0646.JPG
    607.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like dual port heads on the VW's. Now that's a dredge. Must have been hell to get her in the water though...

trilex55

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a look at this link. This guy has obviously done a lot of research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions