,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...never mind

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend not to bring many people along, but we split evenly (usually concentrates from my Gold Cube) if everyone is digging/working equipment. People along just to watch don't get a part.

Usually, everyone is working different gear and contributing to the success of the effort.

The Gold Cube does not have a lot of material to split up (makes it easier to carry the concentrates back in my shirt pocket) - even when we ran 42 buckets worth of sand (3 weeks ago in Clear Creek, Denver), there was only around 3 cups of concentrates - you need a blue bowl to get it all out since its mostly fines.

Anything bigger than 30 mesh gets panned and any gold split evenly.

I normally do the Gold Cube cleanup and fill the plastic baggies - then I let the others choose which ones they want (I get the last one - I think its fair to do it this way).

If detecting for gold, there is no split. I keep what I find.

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the person is a greenhorn and is wanting to learn and works hard along side of me he or she gets it all. What a better way to spread the fever? I figure I can always get more gold from my claim on my own.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far my bud and Ih have maybe found a gram. It's all my equipment to start off with and after he bought the gold hog matting I decided to just split fifty fifty. I'm pretty sure he shovels more than me too lol. He has the fever way worse.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerry, Don, Garret, they all go home with the gold.... even using our equipment. Enough to go around. I'll find enough on my own. TTC

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doitlaynstyle said:
I'm pretty sure he shovels more than me too lol. He has the fever way worse.
Sounds like a good guy to bring along. I'll give up my share to someone willing to work. Just haven't found one yet.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not enough info. On a claim--owner gets 80% when working together with HIS equipment/his claim--your equipment 70%--public lands mutzing and a putzing whatever feels good. BUT when serious op is going on I ALWAYS rotate daily the biggie of the day NO MATTER HOW HUGE. I gave away a pounder plus and I ended up with the smaller 1/2 ozrs and dwts as it was the helpers day as when your in all the way that's just the luck a the draw NO EXCEPTIONS. John

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If in good area with my equipment then biggest picker in box I keep.Everything else goes in bucket and each person gets what they get.I have let some large nuggets go that were not visible in the box.I have been known to just let my buddy have everything in the box.I love just getting out and having fun.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50-50 between my wife and I. That's what she tells me.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Depends.

I have a friend that goes with me regularly and for days at a time. We both work. We both hike the gear in and out. Even though I have the equipment, we split 50/50.

I have a friend going on a day hike this weekend. It'll be his first time hiking, panning, prospecting, or anything of the sort. He'll get it all up to +50 unless he heads back to my place to run the -50 and -100 in the blue bowl with me afterwards.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I go out with a newbie who lacks gear he gets all the +50 to feed that initial fever, I take the fines home to pan out later...funny thing is that equates to about a 50/50 split!

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
that is a tuff question to answer, but what i have done is.. first the claim owner gets his money off the top. then there would be a 3 way split 1/3 for the dredge 1/3 for the helper and 1/3 for me. out of the dredges 1/3 gas , oil and repairs also transpertation to get parts and supplies. this was on a 10 inch dredge. also the helper was not a friend. that changes a lot. as far as the nuggets went. 1 clean up it would the helpers choice and the next one mine.... the dredge didn't get a pick on the nuggets. this has worked for me in the past. i have tried paying just a straight 10-20 % and it didn,t work as well.

bill/cr

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I moved to to the Smith River CA area here less than a year ago. My Brother in Law has lived here most of his life. He knows the area intimately, has a complete metal and wood-working shop...knows how to use it all, including heavy equipment. Most importantly, we get along very well. When I got the fever, I learned where to look and found some gold. Got him infected by using my vile in full sunlight...and it worked too...He was so impressed with the 10 fines I got in a recent shovel full, he immediately offered up other areas to look at. The deal was struck. I provide the equipment and he will provide the stuff to make it all come together and an on-site 24/7 sluice area. In addition he will prospect only with me, watch my back and give me another set of eyes. Finally, he will provide 5 gal buckets and a back. 50/50 seems very fair IMHO.:icon_thumright:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think their is no avoiding a dispute on the split, or the spot, or where ya should be digging,who is doin the most work ect ect.!!! My brother and I bring our own snuffer bottles and dig our own holes. sometimes we work side by side and due a split but after almost 7years of panning we still have our quarrells..As for bringing freinds who want to try it out or come just sometimes its always 50/50..If you do it for fun or for wage makes a big difference too..

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every body has their own way of splitting the take. Here's what I do, and it seems to work out for everyone: claim owner=20%, equipment=20%, expenses=20%, labor=20%. This works if there are only two of you, if more then you have to figure out a different %.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread