Research, Research, Research

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just wanted to share one thing that I think gets way overlooked. That is research and trying to put yourself on some ground that can really make for a memorable day. I know its not the most fun, but when it pays off it makes all those long winter days worth it! Look at old topo maps, geologis maps are a prospectors best friend, and even reading some old journals.

Here is my one day total from sluicing at my new favorite spot!

Good Luck
JD

Attachments

• IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making a very long story short, I read an unpublished account of life in a small hydraulick mine. It was full of marriages, new school marms, mines being
bought and sold, and lawsuits. In one chapter they mentioned a 20lb "lump" of quartz and gold being found. Well, through fate I guess, I wound up dredging
the river below and just downstream of the pit. I ended up doing pretty well in that spot, getting lots of mercury and gold that had been flushed through the
old sluice boxes up on the hill. But the best was finding a 13 oz. quartz/gold cobble in loose overburden, which I am sure washed out of the mine as oversize. I got an offer to sell at 1,200 dollars when spot gold price was at 400/oz. Do the math.
Yep, it pays to do research!

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I'm sitting in a pile of maps, reports and such right now. I hope it pays off this year.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For all you people in northern Cali Here are some research material I use in some of the areas I hunt..Kind of off the wall research as none is really gold related or is it??
"A Park Rangers Patrol in the Sierra Nature Noir" by Jordan Fisher Smith.... And also I love reading

North Fork of the American River

Russell Towle

All free online and all I consider great sources of information in my pursuit for gold...

So many resources at hand....

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just found that NFAR blogspot today and was reading up on Wabena Trail. Full of great info. I'll check out Russell Towle's site now. Thanks.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been researching for over 57 years and just finished 3 more--of 4--more books on who,what,where,when how. When ya quit learning ya die-John

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in the CA mother lode area, been saving info for over 20 + years, if you have some tidbits of info you can add to my data we could work out
some mutual use, not looking to steal anyone's spot per se just trying to get the bigger picture. I'm mostly an arm chair prospector with no real resources or equipment
but do enjoy the research, hope to get out there though. PM me, Thanks.

johnnysau

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions