Aug 18, 2011
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum/6000-DI Pro-sl/Gold-Stinger/CZ7a/
ML750/Tm808/XLT-E/GTX2500/GB/GB2/Ml-Sov./
CZ3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Douglas County Or. 2009 Digger packs is "Stuff" in,STASH leaves it. Goes back, "Everything,s "GONE".
Rockcreek,Or. Coquille River 2010 Digger leaves his stuff on the river, goes to Town. Comes back,"GONE"
(Campers in 100 ft.on both sides.)
Doles Bar Or.2011 Highbanker set-up. Digger leaves, comes back,you guessed it,"Gone"(Others Diggers in sight on both sides.)
Medford Or. 2013 Digger leaves his Dredge in the driveway. "Gone"
Every year there are countless stories of Diggers equipment being "Stolen" under one circumstance or another.
Most due to poor decisions, carelessness, a false attitude "It wont happen to ME" "Guess what"
Lets try to "STOP" Financing thieves with "YOUR STUFF".
"SUGGESTION" and I am sure there are other ways! "MARK " your equipment. No item is to small!
Elec. engraving tool, metal punch stamp, wood-burning tool, welders, camera etc.(Take pictures of your equipment.
You may need them for alerts or identification.
Perhaps engrave your last 4 number of your Dr Lic. & 4 numbers of your SS#.on "EVERYTHING METAL or wood. Every pump Lg.& sml. Mark the spot with brite paint,"WHY"? Increases the chance of a "Pawn-Shop" seeing it!
You can even mark any plastic item with the wood burning tool. Ink Mark your tents & shelters.
Weld these #,s on the of all your trailers, mark the site w/brite paint.
(Clubs or buddies have an "Identify Your Equipment" day & share the tools to do it with. Invite others, make a noise about. Let the word get around about what you are doing or have done. A thief has ears to. I think?
I don,t know about you? But even my screwdriver cost me "MONEY".
Good Luck this season guys & gals. Protect your stuff so you can!
PEACE JOY & PROSPOERTY &"Gold" to all.:hello2:

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More on topic...the other thing we can all do is to be very careful about buying used gear. Avoid anything where you can't confirm the proper ownership history!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incribe your SS number or other ID in a concealed location on exspensive stuff. When stolen, tell only the law and certain other good local prospectors. If (when) stolen, watch for the "sale" and have trusted friends help watch for it. The bad guys will not see it coming! TTC

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
I would be wary on the SS number. Too much identity theft. Call this number if found or property of with a phone number perhaps.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The SS number is universal when law enforcement is on it. Other ID can be used. The idea behind the "hidden" location is what makes it work. Probably safer than the info on your computer, now-a-days. The sending out of stolen property signals makes much of the stuff "hide" for awhile, negating the idea of a hidden id. TC

Azjones

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I wounder how much stolen stuff makes it to Ebay?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Most police depts will tell you to mark your items as follows for EASY I.D. This way you're not putting your SSAN out there for anyone to get a a hold of. First initial/last initial/last four of SSAN. Put it someplace that it's NOT easy to spot right off the bat. Under a battery cover or some other easily accessible location for electronics or someplace a thief won't look for other items. Keep a list of all marked items and the location of the markings that you can give the cops in case you are ripped off.

The two things they say NOT to put on an item as I.D. are your complete SSAN OR your D.L. Number!!!!! Both can lead to identity theft.

THere used to be a company that made "Micro stamps" that would imprint your ID on just about any item and was small enough not to be easily noticed by thieves but could be read with a magnifying glass.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always log down your serial #'s and make and model,,,without these #'s items cannot be entered into NCIC by law Enforcement.. NCIC is the National computer system for such things as stolen goods, where a stolen pump from say South Carolina can be checked in say Oregon an get an instant hit! All other #'s put on equipment is great for local identification, but not worth much out of local jurisdiction.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SS never on nuttn' I won't even use it on my puter at home,pics help too. I dredged all day and came back to camp about 8 years ago and camp was gone,tents,food,stoves,even the toilet for gods sake,talk about some shatty thieves-John

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would leave their equipment behind. Your inviting thiefs to take it. I had to leave a custom 300 mag and my packframe with a pair of 15 x 60 Zeiss binoculars behind once. This was only because I was bleeding very badly and knew I had little time to get to Nogales, AZ to a hospital. I was hunting Coues Whitetail and my buddy had no clue I was in trouble. I did go back and recover my gear the next morning.

OP
OP
F

Farwalker

Aug 18, 2011
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum/6000-DI Pro-sl/Gold-Stinger/CZ7a/
ML750/Tm808/XLT-E/GTX2500/GB/GB2/Ml-Sov./
CZ3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was only suggesting (4) #,s of ones SS#& or DL#. Not all of any one. Been down the ID theft road! Uk-hackers got my Bank-Account
about 8 yrs. ago. Lucky I was covered @ the time. Lost $4000.00 in Contracter tools over time in San Antonio Tx,area. Where theft is
part of the local GDP. Just thought I might bring up the subject. If I know of a "Few". How many do we "All" know about.
Some of it is preventable! Peace Joy & Prosperty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions